Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 via Bootcamp and Signalink USB dropouts.  (Read 6279 times)
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »

Apple always made "pretty" devices to dazzle you with flash and make look past its short comings. Myself I have never been impressed with flash on a PC or a car. I look at how it performs, what is under hood, easy to work on and chassis. Apple pretty much fails me there on all four counts.

As my mama used to say, "well, bless your heart." Despite your obvious intent to be insulting to fans of Apple products, your opinion regarding said products isn't worth two bits since you would never deign to own one. For someone who talks a lot (in this thread and others) about the "koolaid", your opinion sure is ironclad against something that you apparently haven't even tried.

And for the record, as I've stated elsewhere, I use OS X, Windows 8.1, and Linux all in my shack. Each has advantages and disadvantages. None are absolutely superior to any other (they all have strengths AND weaknesses) and I enjoy them all.  So, find the koolaid drinking in that statement.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »

As my mama used to say, "well, bless your heart." Despite your obvious intent to be insulting to fans of Apple products, your opinion regarding said products isn't worth two bits since you would never deign to own one. For someone who talks a lot (in this thread and others) about the "koolaid", your opinion sure is ironclad against something that you apparently haven't even tried.

You should not make such assumptions. I have used many Apples for many years because my ex used to use them in school and had to help so I know them well old and new. My grown daughters use Iphone 5's and one has a Ipad and Mac Book that I have used too. (I manged to salvage her Ipad and dry it out after she dropped it in tub) I find all their product lacking and tailored for technology challenged people because they are not for power users or those liking tweak or modify  systems. They make them non user repairable for even a battery change in a phone. My daughter had her battery die after a year and if she had not paid 99 buck for apple care they would have charged her 130 for a battery! (I know because some poor soul was there when someone was in that boat) When i got my Note 3 last fall they looked at it and were blown away with the sharp display than their iphone 5 paled next to with its tiny screen. Yes Apple has great BS and koolaid and limited vision. They are quickly loosing market share because competition has caught and passed them in features and technology. Apple will repeat its mistake of over 20 years ago when they clung to their PC concept too tightly and was crushed by MS than ran on any ones hardware.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »

I find all their product lacking and tailored for technology challenged people because they are not for power users or those liking tweak or modify  systems.

Seems that you didn't actually try to use OS X.  It's a full Unix, has all the command line goodies that any workstation-class OS should have, and can be configured to your heart's content.  Power users appreciate features like a real C compiler that's included for free (not the crippled crap that MS gives out for free), powerful database software built-in, Fortran compilers, you name it.

In addition to other features that "power users" desire, it also includes features that are light-years ahead of Windows, like Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL integrated into the system libraries, so that with a minimum of effort a programmer can use any and all resources that a machine has without even knowing which particular vector processing facilities that the target computer even has.  This is a huge boon for scientific and mathematical computing.

People are catching on to the Windows scam thanks to Metro, which as you say "isn't going anywhere."  I believe it's here to stay, and it will kill the company before you can say "Plug and Pray!"
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

I find all their product lacking and tailored for technology challenged people because they are not for power users or those liking tweak or modify  systems.

Seems that you didn't actually try to use OS X.  It's a full Unix, has all the command line goodies that any workstation-class OS should have, and can be configured to your heart's content.  Power users appreciate features like a real C compiler that's included for free (not the crippled crap that MS gives out for free), powerful database software built-in, Fortran compilers, you name it.

In addition to other features that "power users" desire, it also includes features that are light-years ahead of Windows, like Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL integrated into the system libraries, so that with a minimum of effort a programmer can use any and all resources that a machine has without even knowing which particular vector processing facilities that the target computer even has.  This is a huge boon for scientific and mathematical computing.

People are catching on to the Windows scam thanks to Metro, which as you say "isn't going anywhere."  I believe it's here to stay, and it will kill the company before you can say "Plug and Pray!"

Only scam is Apple koolaid. They include some freebies on the hope someone will right for them and their limited app selection. Only one bitching about Metro are those stuck in past. I 3 to 5 years a XP thru 7 style GUI will be gone and forgotten. MS fell behind in Tablet and smart phone world because they clung to old style OS too long. Its all changing now and 8 is first step.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

Only scam is Apple koolaid. They include some freebies on the hope someone will right for them and their limited app selection. Only one bitching about Metro are those stuck in past. I 3 to 5 years a XP thru 7 style GUI will be gone and forgotten. MS fell behind in Tablet and smart phone world because they clung to old style OS too long. Its all changing now and 8 is first step.

MS hasn't sold enough tablets and smartphones to even compete with Blackberry, which is so dead in the water that the sharks are circling.

Apple realized that you can't shoehorn everybody into a "touchscreen world."  Meanwhile, while I agree there are less OS X applications than Windows applications, if you add in all the Unix programs made in the last 40 years (almost all of which run on OS X) I'm sitting pretty.

MS fell behind in tablet and phone OS's because their product is inferior and they drop support for technologies if they aren't profitable in a few quarters.  Remember MS's music service, Plays4Sure?  Well, it doesn't play at ALL, they dropped it to the chagrin of the people who were foolish enough to believe another MS promise.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 04:34:11 AM »

MS hasn't sold enough tablets and smartphones to even compete with Blackberry, which is so dead in the water that the sharks are circling.

Not true they have passed Blackberry and are growing. In a few years they will have a sizable share

Apple realized that you can't shoehorn everybody into a "touchscreen world."  Meanwhile, while I agree there are less OS X applications than Windows applications, if you add in all the Unix programs made in the last 40 years (almost all of which run on OS X) I'm sitting pretty.

As much as Apple would have liked too they knew its grip could be limited. t was just a matter of time before koolaid wore off.

MS fell behind in tablet and phone OS's because their product is inferior and they drop support for technologies if they aren't profitable in a few quarters.  Remember MS's music service, Plays4Sure?  Well, it doesn't play at ALL, they dropped it to the chagrin of the people who were foolish enough to believe another MS promise.

They is a few reasons MS fell behind. The biggest was lack of a good OS and hardware to run it on. MS lived in x86 world and needed fast efficient x86 processors in tablet and phone world to make this happen. They did not start appearing until 3qtr 2013 in the form of the Atom reborn with new logic and speed and low power usage that supports x86 and linux/droid. So MS developed from scratch Windows RT and Window Phone to run on power efficient ARM processors that others were using while rewriting Windows x86 too. This was a big task and still on going and maturing because all three versions (Win 8x full, RT and phone) looked same and transparently shared data. Now that Intel has thrown it full weight into the arena with very powerful and efficient x86 processors I look for Windows tablets to explode in 2015 and beyond as all the plants and stars align. 

It has been a good debate. In the next few years Android will control phone market and MS will gain a sizable share and Apple will shrink a lot to accommodate this. In tablet wold Ipad is not king anymore and Windows will make large gains and Andriod will keep a good chunk and Apple will wither.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 06:55:58 AM »

They is a few reasons MS fell behind. The biggest was lack of a good OS and hardware to run it on. MS lived in x86 world and needed fast efficient x86 processors in tablet and phone world to make this happen. They did not start appearing until 3qtr 2013 in the form of the Atom reborn with new logic and speed and low power usage that supports x86 and linux/droid. So MS developed from scratch Windows RT and Window Phone to run on power efficient ARM processors that others were using while rewriting Windows x86 too. This was a big task and still on going and maturing because all three versions (Win 8x full, RT and phone) looked same and transparently shared data. Now that Intel has thrown it full weight into the arena with very powerful and efficient x86 processors I look for Windows tablets to explode in 2015 and beyond as all the plants and stars align. 

It has been a good debate. In the next few years Android will control phone market and MS will gain a sizable share and Apple will shrink a lot to accommodate this. In tablet wold Ipad is not king anymore and Windows will make large gains and Andriod will keep a good chunk and Apple will wither.

You say Microsoft didn't have good enough processors and OS for phone and tablet, and yet everyone else managed to use the available hardware to produce tablets and phones.

Microsoft never fell behind in the phone and tablet marked because they were never ahead. They have never been able to capture a market in which they couldn't use Windows/Office for leverage. They did manage to kill the handwriting recognition market by pre-announcing Pen-Windows, which froze the market. Palm took it back simply because pen-windows was so bad, and Palm's PDA's filled a niche that did not require Windows/Office to be successful.

Music player? Fail.
Phones? Fail.
Tablets? Fail (so far).

If they are able to produce tablets that can leverage Office, they might get back some market share.

Rick KK4GGL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 07:29:25 AM »

Only one bitching about Metro are those stuck in past

No, we are not stuck in the past. It is because we no longer drink the Microsoft Koolaid. We don't just blindly accept whatever Microsoft tells us WHAT we should use anymore...Because we are not stuck in the past. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:32:48 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »

You say Microsoft didn't have good enough processors and OS for phone and tablet, and yet everyone else managed to use the available hardware to produce tablets and phones.

Because they were not vested in x86 dah.....  When you write to use the ARM processor, it is a RISC cpu (Reduced Instruction Set CPU) while x86 is a CISC (Complex Instruction set CPU). What this means in layman's terms when you right for RISC you have less features to use and use extra software commands to obtain results that are far easier to obtain on a CISC with a function call. The end result is it was not possible for MS to fully emulate Win 8 on a RISC and RT and Phone version was born.

Microsoft never fell behind in the phone and tablet marked because they were never ahead. They have never been able to capture a market in which they couldn't use Windows/Office for leverage. They did manage to kill the handwriting recognition market by pre-announcing Pen-Windows, which froze the market. Palm took it back simply because pen-windows was so bad, and Palm's PDA's filled a niche that did not require Windows/Office to be successful.

Not so. The hardware did not exist to make this happen. Many do not realize on reason for MS's success is the CPU it was designed to run on. Its rich instruct set is a OS writers and programers dream for glitz and dazzle on screen. While MS includes Office 2013 with RT it has less features because not only touch interface but also RISC chip. It will be the same with the soon to be released Office for IOS. Not because of a hidden agenda but because of limitations of IOS and RISC chip it is based on. Full Win 8 on a tablet will have no limitations.

Music player? Fail.
Phones? Fail.
Tablets? Fail (so far).

Simple answer, MS was too stuck on XP style OS which did poorly here.

If they are able to produce tablets that can leverage Office, they might get back some market share.

MS tablets are going to be a big force in future and market control in next few year will be a battle between Android and Windows with Apple a distant 3rd. Apple lost the ball in tablet world and will not get it back.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 08:05:05 AM »

Because they were not vested in x86 dah.....  When you write to use the ARM processor, it is a RISC cpu (Reduced Instruction Set CPU) while x86 is a CISC (Complex Instruction set CPU). What this means in layman's terms when you right for RISC you have less features to use and use extra software commands to obtain results that are far easier to obtain on a CISC with a function call. The end result is it was not possible for MS to fully emulate Win 8 on a RISC and RT and Phone version was born.

Apple was not invested in x86? Really?

Not so. The hardware did not exist to make this happen. Many do not realize on reason for MS's success is the CPU it was designed to run on. Its rich instruct set is a OS writers and programers dream for glitz and dazzle on screen. While MS includes Office 2013 with RT it has less features because not only touch interface but also RISC chip. It will be the same with the soon to be released Office for IOS. Not because of a hidden agenda but because of limitations of IOS and RISC chip it is based on. Full Win 8 on a tablet will have no limitations.

Microft's success is because IBM chose them to write the OS for their PC. Once the clones reverse engineered the BIOS, the explosion in Microsoft based pc's began. The network effects of that, and later Windows and Office, coupled with Microsoft's anti-competitive practices are what made Microsft's success.

Music player? Fail.
Phones? Fail.
Tablets? Fail (so far).

Simple answer, MS was too stuck on XP style OS which did poorly here.

Or, in other words, Microsft could not compete in the markets that did not depend on Windows and/or Office.

MS tablets are going to be a big force in future and market control in next few year will be a battle between Android and Windows with Apple a distant 3rd. Apple lost the ball in tablet world and will not get it back.

... in your opinion. As I said, and yes, it is my opinion, if Microsoft can leverage Office on its tablets it will gain some marketshare.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »

Apple was a late comer to x86 and started on Motorola 68000 then moved to full RISC and was on life support before moving to x86 platform to stay alive.

Microft's success is because IBM chose them to write the OS for their PC. Once the clones reverse engineered the BIOS, the explosion in Microsoft based pc's began. The network effects of that, and later Windows and Office, coupled with Microsoft's anti-competitive practices are what made Microsft's success.

The real key was MS focused on OS and programs and let open market build hardware for it and innovate. Back then Apple wanted it all in house and lost market then because of it and will loose again today for same reason.

... in your opinion. As I said, and yes, it is my opinion, if Microsoft can leverage Office on its tablets it will gain some marketshare.

Not leverage but rather a benefit. It will not be a major marketing point.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »

Apple was a late comer to x86 and started on Motorola 68000 then moved to full RISC and was on life support before moving to x86 platform to stay alive.

On life support? You remind me of someone else. Jobs returned to Apple in 1997. Apple was again profitable in 1998 with the introduction of the iMac. The iPod and iTunes were announced in 2001. More profit with entry into a new market. Apple Moved to x86 in 2005. I don't think Apple moved to x86 to stay alive. But they did indeed move x86 as their main computer platform.

The real key was MS focused on OS and programs and let open market build hardware for it and innovate. Back then Apple wanted it all in house and lost market then because of it and will loose again today for same reason.

The real key was the network effects of Microsoft's virtual monopoly power in desktop opeating systems, coupled with Office and Microsoft's anti-competitve behavior. The only successful non-game hardware I am aware of that was put out by Microsoft that has been successful wast the Soft-Card.

Sculley stupidly licensed parts of the Mac interface to Microsof, which was the basic reason why Apple lost its look and feel suit aginst Microsoft. Gates was famously pounding on his devs to "make it work like a Mac".

Not leverage but rather a benefit. It will not be a major marketing point.

Leverage. As I have said, Microsoft has not been able to dominate a market that is not dependant on Windows/Office.

This is also appearing to be pointless and you may have the last word here, too.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »

On life support? You remind me of someone else. Jobs returned to Apple in 1997. Apple was again profitable in 1998 with the introduction of the iMac. The iPod and iTunes were announced in 2001. More profit with entry into a new market. Apple Moved to x86 in 2005. I don't think Apple moved to x86 to stay alive. But they did indeed move x86 as their main computer platform.

Lets see you seem to forgot that about 10 years ago give or take that Apple stock was down to like 5 dollars and they had 3% of market (mostly schools) and MS was in a anti trust suit and they gave Apple 250 million and ported Office to platform to keep from being a monopoly. You have very selective recall.

The real key was the network effects of Microsoft's virtual monopoly power in desktop opeating systems, coupled with Office and Microsoft's anti-competitve behavior. The only successful non-game hardware I am aware of that was put out by Microsoft that has been successful wast the Soft-Card.

Novell made big bucks off MS networking before MS matured many years later. And why is Office anti competitive? It works and people use it still. just a sore looser.

Sculley stupidly licensed parts of the Mac interface to Microsof, which was the basic reason why Apple lost its look and feel suit aginst Microsoft. Gates was famously pounding on his devs to "make it work like a Mac".

Boy you got this one wrong. Apple licensed part for Windows ver 1 which MS changed in 2 and Apple sued to block it and lost all appeals and rights 6 years later. Court ruled that Apple could not restrict a graphical operating system design to just them. Better get facts straight.

Leverage. As I have said, Microsoft has not been able to dominate a market that is not dependant on Windows/Office.

Many do not use Windows for just for Office. Many use it for interface and app support. Invalid argument.

This is also appearing to be pointless and you may have the last word here, too.

The pointless part is you do not have your ducks in a row and keep digging yourself in deeper.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: