Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS Offered Me Maintenence Contract on $14.99 Purchase  (Read 9222 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

uh, you got a maintenance contract for those shares of stock?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »

OK, first off, the poor clerk was probably instructed to offer the "maintenance contract" on everything sold, or at least everything in the category.  S/He personally does not make a penny on it.

I recently bought a small spool of 2 conductor shielded cable at a local RS.  The girl offered me the "maintenance contract."  She told me that her manager told her that she was required to do so; the other clerk working at the time confirmed that this had been their explicit instructions.

Secondly, as someone who used to work in a big box store selling appliances (amongst other things)... yes, the extended warranties or maintenance contracts are a bit of a rip-off.  Usually 50% of the "premium" goes directly to the store as profit, pure and simple.  They're banking on you forgetting about the contract, or on it expiring before anything breaks in the appliance.  Even if you have to call in for warranty service, there is a deductible and other little fees in the fine print. 

If you purchase the appliance with many major credit cards, you may automatically be getting extended warranties through the credit card company. 

You're better off talking to your insurance agent first.  See if the appliance would be covered under your homeowners or renters policy.  If not, see if there is a rider available to give you that coverage.  It will be MUCH cheaper than buying it from the store!
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »

Like they say in Vegas that taking insurance in black jack is bad policy decision.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »

WN:  Along with your excellent advice and information, I would like to point out one other thing.

Most major appliances come with a 1 year warranty.  If you buy an extended warranty, for example an additional 3 years which you pay for, you are in reality getting only 2 years because the original 1 year warranty is factored in. 

That in itself is a big part of the "rip-off."
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »

My wife likes insurance, been a struggle to convince her.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »

"the poor clerk was probably instructed to offer the "maintenance contract" on everything sold, or at least everything in the category.  S/He personally does not make a penny on it."

Can anyone confirm that?  I own a retail company. I'd bet the clerk is compensated in some way for pushing those annoying and scammy contracts.

Another advantage of the contracts for a seller is they open up the buyer to telephone solicitation under most state "do not call" lists.  But I doubt RS is going to phone buyers when their $14.99 cable protection runs out.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »

Radio Shack Maintenance Contract Sales Meeting with Alec Baldwin

- First Prize: Cadillac Eldorado
- Second Prize: Set of steak knives
- Third Prize: You're Fired!

Brilliant scene in a fairly obscure film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »

Mostly life insurance and rug cleaning and refi and loans. No RS so far.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

Hello.

Radio Shack is expected to not last the year.
So, cherish this Radio Shack power cord, you may never be able to get another one quite like it.
The quality! the brand! the reputation! the fact that you have to BUY a one year warranty?!

It's doubtful that it's really a "Radio Shack" cord anyway.  I thought RS bought all their stuff from Chinese OEMs these days.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

How much money is in third party auto maintenance contracts?  This much...

This is the still under contruction mansion of a guy who went to jail for his firm's practices. I believe it was to be the largest home in the county.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/us-fidelis-owner-sentenced-to-four-years-in-prison-on/article_6ee4caa8-097e-11e2-9b21-0019bb30f31a.html

With the dual-tier incarceration system in the USA, I don't doubt that the prison he will be "punished" at is actually more luxurious than his home.

It's good that the truly rich don't have to go to pound-me-in-the-ass prison.  We wouldn't want our betters to be subjected to such treatment.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »

With the dual-tier incarceration system in the USA, I don't doubt that the prison he will be "punished" at is actually more luxurious than his home

Don't be ridiculous. The 68 year old guy I knew just started serving his 10 year sentence in the federal penitentiary in Marion Illinois. Marion was built in 1963 to replace the luxurious Alcatraz. With good behavior he MIGHT get out after 8 or 9 years.   
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »

Hello.

The youtube skit is right on the money!
What I do at Six Flags is this.
We have this contract with Wyndham.
http://www.wyndham.com/
I trot on stage and breath fire or dance with machetes, do a very quick little show.
That is all I normally do.
Some little weasel said that that was all I did, and the salesman did all the heavy lifting.
Boy was I pissed!
So, I got set up for sales, and kicked some ass!
What an opener does is open the sale, a closer, well closes.
Dude, I can do both ends of the deal, and make it work!
I can sell kirby vacuums door to door!
I can fund raise for whatever non profit I am interested in, and am really good at it!
Sure, I worked at Radio Shack, and did my numbers.
But, when Radio Shack did this stock option crap, and it was clear I was not getting anywhere, I hit the bricks!
Radio Shack lost it, the technical talent And the sales talent.
I will be the first to tell you, I am no engineer.
What I am is is a sales person.
Sure, I do silly stunts, but that is to get your attention!
I am not here to sell you some ham crap, I want to sell you a cellphone, A full home theater system, and satellite service!
That penny ante bullshit?
Ham radio is an interesting hobby, but that is it.
The old farts who are upset about losing 11 meters ages ago?
Most CBers don't give a shit.
Why? because it is.
I don't need or want an Elmer, it really is not that important.
What is important are, what are my sales figures, and how much money am I getting?!
Ham Radio is my toy.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »

I never understood why a guy with a name like Madoff managed to con so many people. The very name made me suspicious......
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

Radio Shack had a contest, if you sold X number of service contracts you got. get this, a Basketball!
If you sold more than that you were invited to the "Winners Circle".
But, as far as real money? NO!
It was like working at McDonalds.
You work really hard, do everything, learn every little task, and you got the little metal tags to put on your name tag.
And, Radio Shack now has the same thing.
BUT, lets face it, there is nothing like MONEY!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

Re: G3RZP  reply #27

It wasn't the name Madoff that conned the folks, it was his first name Bernie, did you ever have a pre Madoff friend or ever know anybody named Bernie that wasn't a genuine all round nice guy? If his last name had been Theodore there would have been no way in Hell that he would ever dreamed up such a scam.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: