Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day in NYC?  (Read 8644 times)
KA2ZEY

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »

Hi,
I getting my portable station together in anticipation of Field Day. I'll be using a small setup: a KX3, LifePO4 battery and LNR 40/20/10 end fed antenna. I plan to operate in one of the city parks (not Central Park). My concern is, will I run into problems throwing the end fed over a tree branch? My only concern is with the Park Police that come around once in a while.

Thanks
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »

You can claim extra points if the cops visit your station. Take a selfie with them.

I've set up in parks with both prior permission and no prior permission - either way, there's always been some park worker that see's you with a wire in a tree and doesn't know what the heck is going on. They always stand there for a minute with a confused look. Sometimes they come over, sometimes they run to call for advice from the office, (which you don't want - even with prior permission there can be a lot of people in the chain that didn't get the memo).

I've found what works best is to wave them over with a big smile the instant they hesitate. From their point of view, they might be witnessing a form of vandalism they have never seen before. Should they say something? Should they call someone? Explain to them multiple times that the wire does no damage comes down when you leave, let them listen to the exchanges going on. Print out a sheet about field day and have a sheet they can sign - there are points for that, too.

It's best if you can talk to someone before hand and explain how low impact it is; have a name you can throw around. Not sure how it is in NYC. You might have a bunch of park people come check it out - these guys spend a lot of time maintaining parks where the only use seems to be for rough kids to throw beer cans, smoke weed, and spray paint everything they see. Kind of makes life worth living when they see an activity they don't have to clean up after. 

Make sure to follow through and leave nothing in the trees.   
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

have a field day with Field Day!   Grin
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »

I'm visiting NYC in central Manhattan over FD.  During FD I worked 25 stations each on 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters but it was like pulling teeth.  The electrical noise level in this section of the city (between 5th and 6th avenues on 21 St. ) is truly unbelievable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: