Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "They might as well call it Shortwave Shack."  (Read 7773 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »

I don't have the article url handy, but that's the line that sticks in my mind from a recent MSN Money article on the impending demise of Radio Shack. That gem was from an analyst who talked about RS's "branding problem". His idea is that people under the age of 25 or so probably never use a radio. Think about it, a store called Radio Shack that sells...cell phones? In addition, who knows what a "radio shack" is anyway, except hams, and hams buy from Ham Radio Outlet or Gigaparts. If RS was going to go all in on cell phones like they did, they should have renamed it Cell Warehouse or something similar. But then again, once phone companies figured that they could build their own network of stores and cut out the middleman, RS would have been doomed anyway. Ham Radio Outlet has a grand total of TWELVE brick and mortar stores. RS was trying to have its cake and eat it too by switching from radios to phones. They might have pulled it off, after all Woolworth managed to go from a five and dime variety store to a shoe retailer in the 90s, and are still operating, albeit as Foot Locker.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »

And JC Penny means they sell coins?

Olive Garden caters to tree surgeons and landscapers?

Red Robin has ornithologists and bird watchers for customers?

Target is a hunting store?

*rolls eyes*
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »

Didn't read the article you mention, but I was thinking about this same topic the other day.  Radio Shack does have a branding problem.  They want to be in the cell phone/gadget business now and not in the hobbyist/kit building business that's always been there core.  Renaming themselves might help them accomplish this, but at the same time they'd be stupid to throw away the RS name as it's one of the most recognized brands in the US.  Kind of a Catch 22, if you think about it.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »

Hello.

Years ago, Radio Shack sued Auto Shack arguing that it was to close.
At the time, radio shack did not want to alter the branding, so they opened Circuit City.
BUT, they had over a dozen failures over the years like circuit city!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoZone
Again, I was forced to buy Radio Shack stock as a condition of employment.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

They are a good source for memory cards.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

But so is both Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Dollar General, Even our local grocery stores!
I can go to our local Hispanic grocery and can not ask for an SD card.
No, I have to ask for digital "film" for my phone, in Spanish of course!
But, that is another area Radio Shack has failed at, the Spanish speaking community.
I can sell cellphones all day long, in French or Spanish!
There is NO incentive for a person who speaks a foreign language at Radio Shack.
This is a pity, as Radio Shack works in French and Spanish.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »

They've come a long way (down?) from when they opened their second store in New Haven, and took trade ins against a new Hallicrafters, National, Hammarlund etc....
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »

I always though "Realistic" was the world's worst brand name.  Implies the goods aren't "real."

Neil N3DF
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »

But so is both Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Dollar General, Even our local grocery stores!
I can go to our local Hispanic grocery and can not ask for an SD card.
No, I have to ask for digital "film" for my phone, in Spanish of course!
But, that is another area Radio Shack has failed at, the Spanish speaking community.
I can sell cellphones all day long, in French or Spanish!
There is NO incentive for a person who speaks a foreign language at Radio Shack.
This is a pity, as Radio Shack works in French and Spanish.

They`re a good source for cf memory cards(at least for the time being)as these type of memory cards are being fazed out. The new cf replacement will be called C-FAST,but will not be compatable with the current cf design. SD will still be around,and Sony and Nikon have the newer XQD cards also.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »

I always though "Realistic" was the world's worst brand name.  Implies the goods aren't "real."

Hello.

Radio Shack started with "Realist" but a camera company already had that name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_Realist
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

Here, take a gander at their 1972 Catalog. Notice the variety of items.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1972-a/

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Well good luck in 2014 having a large chain of stores catering to people that build electronics kits or projects. Why bother when you can buy a prebuilt whatever made in China for less than the parts? Electronics "as we knew it" is dying.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »

Well good luck in 2014 having a large chain of stores catering to people that build electronics kits or projects. Why bother when you can buy a prebuilt whatever made in China for less than the parts? Electronics "as we knew it" is dying.
[/quote

Hello.

You hit the nail on the head.
Somebody can go out and buy a cheap made in China talkie for less than you could ever buy the parts.
Repair? who are we kidding?
There is nothing to repair!
Consumer electronics is moving so fast that everything is outdated before it quits!
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »

They'll not have the vision to do it right (although if they get delisted and file bankruptcy maybe someone will go after the assets), but companies like Sparkfun, Adafruit and even Digikey are still doing very well these days, capitalizing on the "maker" movement.

The problem is finding qualified people to run the stores, so when someone comes in asking about a project part the salesperson can actually speak intelligently about the product and offer advice. Not easily found in the average suburban strip mall these days...
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

They used to sell radios that worked quite well. That was when they were made in Japan. The last am/fm portable I bought from them drifted horribly,and had no audio amplification,hardly enough to drive the built in speaker. Not worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: