Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "They might as well call it Shortwave Shack."  (Read 6251 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »

The problem is finding qualified people to run the stores, so when someone comes in asking about a project part the salesperson can actually speak intelligently about the product and offer advice.

I thought that they had a rule saying "Anyone who actually understands electronics is automatically disqualified"...   Cheesy

I've had idiot salespeople saying that this audio amplifier is better than that audio amplifier because the first one plays louder than the other with both volume control knobs set to 9AM...   Huh
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »

I always though "Realistic" was the world's worst brand name.  Implies the goods aren't "real."

I thought it was more of a statement about budgetary concerns.  You could go whole-hog with the top-brand radio or whatever, and spend a lot of money, or you could be "realistic" and buy a cheaper option.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 02:33:14 AM »

Just for fun, bring in a box of tubes (valves if you live in the U.K.) and ask the sales person where the tube tester is.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:37 AM »

I really don't think the name "Radio Shack" has anything to do with their demise and changing their name won't help... not at this point anyway.

I remember when Jack In The Box changed their name to Monterrey Jacks in an attempt to lure in a more "sophisticated" crowd. It was only a very short time before they changed their name back! Yeah, that worked out well for them!

And think about the NAACP. They have had the name since 1909 and it is so entrenched in the civil rights movement that they wouldn't even think of changing it now. But call an African-American a "colored person" and see what happens!

Its just a name.
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »

Maybe its because of my small town qth, but over the past several years i have slowly moved over to web based shopping.  If its ham stuff, i use various venders via the net, where i have an account, and a continuious shopping basket.  Ive learned the things that i need most often, and if im out i order no less than three of each.  I try and keep a small inventory of those things needed most often.  When its time to order, its just a couple clicks and there on the way.  3 to 5 days for cheap shipping.  If some local ham guys need something im glad to lend what they need.  I do that for ALL my shopping except groceries.  If i could do it with groceries i probably would.  I really like amazon.  Excluding ham radio, (but yes the do have some ham stuff).  I can always find what im looking for through them.  Im lucky, i have great USPS, UPS, and Fed Ex, service.  I understand that my type of behavior did not help RS to survive, yes we had one but i saw the change comming 10 years ago.  Id love to walk into a Radio Shack and browse around at Radio Stuff, but times have changed.  I have to browse around my shack now, or go to a ham fest.  Thats ok too though , Right?
KF5UFA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »

I remember when they actually fixed electronic equipment at Radio Shack.  In my case, it was the mid 70s and I was into SWLing and CBs.  There was this crusty old tech named Dave with a rather colorful vocabulary.  He was always busting my chops about "CBs are crybaby stuff", and got me to buy a  book on ham radio (RS used to sell those!).  Took me 30 years, but I finally got my license.

I remember when another CBer (Electronics votech student) brought in a Hammarlund SP-600.......that's where I learned the term "boatanchor".

Good times.....long gone.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: