Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio clean up after house fire  (Read 3857 times)
WC4V

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »

My home caught fire last week.  All my ham gear was in an adjacent room.  I am sure they are full of smoke.  Not sure if insurance company will replace.  Any tips for mitigating the smokey smell?  Please send resposes to my email address, caver9999@hotmail.com.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

WC4V
Steve
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »

If it is smoke damaged your insurance should pay to fix it unless you have a very cheap/limited policy. I know mine would be covered.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »

The name escapes me, there are thin paper sheets that you place inside a clothes drier to add a more pleasant smell, put a few of those inside each rig and they help absorb the smell of smoke.

As an alternative I have heard people get good results from placing the rig inside a sealed box together with an ozone generator. At least, this technique worked for rigs owned by smokers.

Peter DL8OV
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:35:59 AM »

If only the smoke smell and minor smoke residue the various scented anti static drier sheets mentioned above will do the trick, also if radio cabinet is large enough with easy access, small open containers of baking soda are best. Heavier smoke film or residue from any source on cabinet is easily removed by combining 1 part of Simple Green (it's organic) to 5 parts water, apply with pump spray bottle, let sit a minute or two then wipe off.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:45:32 AM by W1JKA » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:20 AM »

>As an alternative I have heard people get good results from placing the rig inside a sealed box together with an ozone generator.<

I'd be a bit dubious about that if there's any stuff operating at high voltage, since ozone is known to rather bad for some insulating materials.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »

First, I hope everyone was ok! Very sorry to hear of the house fire. Stuff & houses can be replaced.. people can't.

Definitely check for both smoke and water damage with your radio gear. Water tends to get in a lot of places during a house fire (I've been a volunteer firefighter 20+ years). I should hope insurance would cover the contents.. you'll have to call them and find out.

Good luck & 73
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

Some years ago a ham friend of my mom's had a house fire.  He got a new HF rig, not sure if the insurance provided it or not.  But one thing they did paid for was the restoration of his wife's collection of trashy novels (the kind the drug store sells).  Seems they have a process of placing the books in a vacuum chamber and treating them with some chemical vapor.  Don't know if this actually destroys the order, or if it just blocks the human nose from sensing it. 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »

Go study the Boat Anchor Forums and websites.   All the procedures for washing and cleaning radios at the sink apply. 
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »

One other problem is that it is known that if you know there was a fire there, you will always "smell the smoke", even if it has been thouroughly removed and mitigated by professionals.  Something about the human mind that will think it smells the smoke no matter what.

Hopefully the insurance will cover it and you can sell it on ebay to some one who smokes and can't smell it any how.  I know, I smoked 5 or 6 packs a day for 38 years.  I quite 15 years back and it took about 3 years to get my sense of smell back 100 %.  

Good luck and count your blessings, you are OK, and can always save up and buy another radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: