Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio vs CB  (Read 5664 times)
KA5PIU

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:19 AM »

Hello.

I sat down with a very famous CB'er in San Antonio.
He runs legal power into a legal antenna, it is just something like 30 decibels gain.
So, I asked, why no amateur radio?
So, he leads me back into his trophy room, and there, on the wall, is his ticket.
He explained that he was aware that I was a Novice for 30+ years and asked why was that?
I could not say a word.
Think about it, hams no longer build anything except for the elecraft snap together radio.
I play with SDR, nearly DC to daylight.
I can follow directions pretty much as well as anyone, the information is out there.
But, hams seem to be mentally challenged in this.
I know of several CB types, yes,they have their license, who feel that US hams are limited.
Now, CEPT says that US General on down is only a CEPT base.
Extra (Only) is intermediate.
I am not saying that this is an issue, it is an issue.
Now, think about this.
What is it going to take to fix this?
CEPT says that US Amateurs are "But a step up from CB".
Not my words, that is what they say.
And, I think the elecraft is a wonderful radio for what it is, I just wish there was a smaller knob version, or perhaps no knob, I would MUCH prefer a mouse.
Thank you.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »

Did I miss a question or some useful technical information in your post or is just another seed in your controversy garden?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »

yea, what he said !
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »

I have no idea what he said because I have him "Ignored."  However, I suspect it's something to the effect, "Come smell the bait sucker!"

WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

He runs legal power into a legal antenna, it is just something like 30 decibels gain.

30 dB =  X1000 power gain. That would presume his antenna is something on the order of a parabola, several wavelengths in diameter (at λ = 11m).  Even 20 dB gain is HUGE.
K4KYV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »

>>>Think about it, hams no longer build anything except for the elecraft snap together radio.>>>

Maybe you should join the AM community. You will run into a lot of homebrew rigs, everything from vintage vacuum tube equipment to class-E solid state... and a lot of modified commercially built too, including converted broadcast transmitters. AMers usually maintain and repair their own equipment, often out of necessity. But you  will find appliance operators there too.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

Hello.

I'd say that's impossible.

Here's a well-optimized 7L yagi on a 45' boom for 28 MHz: http://m2inc.com/index.php?ax=commercial&pg=72

Installed for horizontal polarization above real earth, it can yield 17.6 dBi gain.  If installed vertically, it would be only about 12.4 dBi gain.

Assuming horizontal polarization, if you stacked four of these for 28 elements in a 35' square H-frame of 45' long Yagis, it could yield about 23 dBi gain (or about 18 dBi if installed vertically).  You'd need eight of them occupying a space of 105' high by 35' wide by 45' deep (over 165,000 cubic feet of "space") to achieve about 26 dBi gain.  That would also take one hell of a tower.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »

If you`d rather work 5 watts input to an am transmitter than go for it. Even as  a Novice op,I had more fun and worked my first dx,which never would have happened with cb.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 12:02:14 PM »

I have no idea what he said because I have him "Ignored."  However, I suspect it's something to the effect, "Come smell the bait sucker!"

Ignored, ditto.  Last statement also.  Seems to be a pot stirrer, that's all.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

I bet arecibo has zillion db gain on 11m.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »

I bet Arecibo has zillion db gain on 11m.

But it's pointing straight up.  It might help if someone on the ISS space station has a CB radio, but I doubt they'd have one...

One thing hams have over CBers is multiple slices of radio spectrum from just above the AM broadcast band to above where cell phones operate.  And the FCC likes us, for the most part we are well behaved. 

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »

Think about it, hams no longer build anything except for the elecraft snap together radio.

Speak for yourself. Many of my club build their own stuff as well.

I know of several CB types, yes,they have their license, who feel that US hams are limited.

I can only assume they're entry level classes whose sole experience is 2m FM repeaters. There's so much to do in this hobby it is impossible for one person to do it in a lifetime. All I can say is if you think amateur radio is limited, especially in comparison to CB, you've not even tried looking.

The fact you believe he has an antenna with 30dB of gain tells us all we need to know about you. Have you ever got further than your local repeater?
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »

Hello.

First off, I love AM Fone!
I have an old shipboard transmitter rated at 15 Thousand watts.
Second, no one said anything about a beam.
Want real gain? build a curtain wall of dipoles.
Remember the Russian woodpecker? a steerable curtain wall of dipoles.
6 dipoles on 11 meters does does something like 28 decibels.
Remember that the dipoles are the conical, and not 2 wires.
Study very early radar, the stuff prior to microwave and a dish.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »

How illegal was it to work skip on 11 meter CB band? Very illegal, That's why CB got the reputation it now has. A bunch of ham want-a-bees that break the law, because they can.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »

"I have an old shipboard transmitter rated at 15 Thousand watts."

Isn't that a bit above the legal limit for ham radio  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: