Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power inverters  (Read 13794 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh

power inverters------Auto Part stores sell them...Wal-Mart, etc. etc.

Anybody recommend one that is a good buy and possibly lacking noise/;noise/noise  ??

100 watt area if not a little more.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:28:43 AM »

Anything you buy, is a tossup. I have a 100 watt one that is modified square wave, and it has very little RFI. I think I paid $20 for it. The 500 watt one, is square wave, cost over $400, and is so RFI noisy I'm sure it couldn't pass Part 15, a block away!

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

Agree with K0BG. Make sure whatever you buy can be returned easily. I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 battery/inverter that is fairly quiet, but there are still birdies on some bands. I've also had cheap inverters that are fairly quiet, but the majority trash the RF spectrum for anything connected to the same power source.

I also have a Honeywell Powerline "electric generator," now known as a Redi-line generator:

http://alternatorstarter.com/innovative-solutions/rediline-generators

These are basically dynamotors, a DC motor and AC generator sharing a common shaft. Typically they were/are used for running power tools since AC motors don't like modified sine wave inputs. Not all that efficient (or back-packable) but no RFI at all (AF noise might be a problem in a quiet area). I don't know if they are still made or not, but there's usually a ton of them on ebay, or check with a heavy equipment dealer. I'm sure battery powered hand tools are making them obsolete, so you might get one cheap.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:30 PM »

hi,

take a look at used APC SmartUPS series of uninterruptible power supplies.

you can get them at the hamfests or on ebay local pickup or ship, or just
without the batteries (get new ones) and save on the shipping.

The SmartUps series can be powered up without having power to the mains,
you can use an external battery with larger capacity, just do not exceed the
output of the ups and these are full sine wave units.

I've got a few Liebert UPS that came out of a supermarket, also full sine wave units.

73 james
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »

Tripplite 150 and 375. Use them in my motorhome. No HF noise. 150 needs no fan, so no audible noise either. Both have zero power draw when turned off. Quality construction. Well priced, IMO.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »

The UPS route is probably the best solution. While I love APC some of their models have certain issues with external battery packs. Their firmware is set up to recognize a charge/ discharge curve on a certain sized battery and while you can put a bigger battery on some of them they will still cut off after a certain amount of time.

With extended batteries I suggest maybe a bit less of a "smart" UPS. Here is my reason;

I mention this because I just purchased a new APC SURTA2200XL from Newegg yesterday (has not arrived yet). It is an APC model that can support up to 10 of those external battery blocks. What I am going to do is to put one string of (4) 12 volt Optima Bluetop D34 in series (the UPS is a 48 volt model). That should give me many hours of runtime as my loads are about 1/2 of the UPS peak capacity.

I have an APC RS1500 that does not like extended batteries. At the same time I am going through the re-batterying of that UPS along with its external pack. It normally has 8 A/Hr batteries internal (2 in series, it is a 24 volt UPS) and the external case that has 4, in two 24 V strings). So fully configured it has about 24 A/Hr of battery capacity. This has been giving me about 50 minutes of runtime under load.

I had tried to increase the battery sizing on the RS1500 but it began to freak out. The larger batteries messed up the mind of the poor little UPS. It thought the batteries were bad because they took so long to charge (bigger batteries will do that) and also it would cut out at around the same point... 50 minutes.. because the UPS could not understand how that load could run for longer than that.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:47 AM »

Every DC-AC inverter I've had has been an RFI generator. To quiet the last one down I enclosed it in a metal box (1 gallon paint can) and added homebrewed RFI filters to the DC and AC paths. The designed attenuation is 30 dB and measured matches this.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:29 AM »

I also have a Honeywell Powerline "electric generator," now known as a Redi-line generator:

Honeywell actually never built nor was involved in the design of them. A company bought right to use name and paid Honeywell a royalty. They got into financial peril and had quality/repair issues and I believe they were taken over and Honeywell pulled name in 2012. I remember looking at a few units in early 2012 but decided against them because when I researched it was really not clear who actually made what parts for it because subcontractors provided parts.  Names can be deceiving. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »

I have a 400 / 800 watt setup in my pickup truck, and it ids handy.  You can run an electric drill on it, or a coffee pot and a 110 volt  plug for the laptop and such.  Handy to have when you need it and no need for all those 12 v adapters when 110 is available,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: