Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quietest New Car for HF  (Read 15185 times)
NN5O

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »

I have a Lexus HS250h hybrid which is a terrific car and works well with VHF/UHF FM and my IC-7000.  However, the MANY microprocessors and their noise make HF almost impossible when driving.  Can you recommend a new quiet vehicle?  I am not interested in pickups and would like a luxury vehicle.  Diesels ok.

73, Jim NN5O
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:42:57 AM »

I think you are going to have your work cut out, Jim.
All cars now are loaded to the hilt with computer controllers.
Diesels all now have electronically triggered injectors.
I don't know what regulations manufacturers have to follow over there but I cannot see it being that much different than here in the EU.

Good luck anyway,
Tony

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »

One thing is for sure, it isn't a hybrid! Every single vehicle with any sort of battery boost is going to have a three phase inverter of some kind. Although they're exempt from Part 15 rules, Part 15 states that transportation devices should meet the rules if at all possible. In a few words... They don't, and no doubt won't!

Besides hybrids, vehicles with discharge or LED headlights, plug wires (no matter how short) like 80% of GM's output, busing systems (virtually 100% of new vehicles), and other digital electronics, all have a signature. Proper bonding is about you're on recourse.

And lets not forget proper antenna, mounting, and placement!

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:33:18 AM »

GM uses a coil pack mounted at each plug so there is no wires to radiate after coil so that must help. Other cars may be similar. As mentioned diesels have digital injection and make a lot of noise too. A car with Direct Gas Injection may be same. I would suggest a car with port fuel injection as a starting point.  We seriously considered a Camry Hybrid (which shares same Hybrid system with Lexus) but decided against it as I did not like battery placement as they should have placed it below truck floor instead. It ran well so I have little doubt your Lexus is a nice car too. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »

Every V8 engine GM makes, except the Northstar, uses plug wires, even the Corvette! Only the newest L4s, L5s, and one V6 use COP units.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »

Every V8 engine GM makes, except the Northstar, uses plug wires, even the Corvette! Only the newest L4s, L5s, and one V6 use COP units.

Not as it seems because there is no distributor or ignition wires from it and only a very short pigtail from each coil pack to each plug.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:47 AM »

While the plug wires are indeed short, GM V8 engines are some of the noisiest when it comes to HF RFI. They're only surpassed by the HFI-type distributors of the 80s and 90s.

Hopefully, laser diode ignition will help the situation, but that's still a couple of years away, except of the Lexus LF sports car which gets is in 2016.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »

While the plug wires are indeed short, GM V8 engines are some of the noisiest when it comes to HF RFI. They're only surpassed by the HFI-type distributors of the 80s and 90s.

Hopefully, laser diode ignition will help the situation, but that's still a couple of years away, except of the Lexus LF sports car which gets is in 2016.

Very few GM cars (not trucks) even have a V8 any more as nearly all are 4 or 6 cyl so why the V8 fixation??? Besides my 2000 one ton with a 350 is pretty quite RFI wise and does not even have a coil pack and my 89 suburban I bought new with HEI has never been a big problem when running HF. I hear some other cars in traffic more than it.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »

As mentioned diesels have digital injection and make a lot of noise too.
[/quote

My 2010 Ford Mondeo TDCi is RF silent. I can run with the pre-amp on and get no noise. The 2004 Ford Mondeo TDCi it replaces was the same.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »

[/quote

My 2010 Ford Mondeo TDCi is RF silent. I can run with the pre-amp on and get no noise. The 2004 Ford Mondeo TDCi it replaces was the same.

Maybe but oil burners sold overseas are lower tech because of looser emission laws so they do not compare with US certified ones.

N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »

My 2007 Jeep Liberty is so quite, I do not use the Noise Blanker
of course I grounded the tail pipe to the frame in the rear by the bumper

my 2 cents
Lew
N4HRA
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »

[/quote

Maybe but oil burners sold overseas are lower tech because of looser emission laws so they do not compare with US certified ones.

M6GOM, pleased to see that.
My 2000 reg petrol Mondeo was pretty quiet. My 2003 Mitsubishi Shogun Sport is noisey

W8JX How do you make that out? The EU regs are as strict as any. How they compare with US regs I don't know but I cannot see there being much difference.
One thing I do know, for locomotives, there are no locos in production (In the world) that can be sold to the EU railways after December 31st 2014 (EU Stage 3b regs)
Also the manufacturers are demanding a production run of at least 100 locos before they will start developing any.
(Dont forget the UK loading gauge is smaller than mainland Europe which is smaller than the American loading gauge I think)

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »

I know because at one time I considered a Chevy Cruze diesel recently and found that while engine was in use in Europe it had to have tighter emission for US market and was modified. There is a lot of oil burner cars in Europe that do not make it to US because of emission controls. Subaru for one has had a diesel for a few years in Europe but not made it to US. 

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Actually apart from NOx emissions, European Euro V/VI diesel emission requirements are more strict and even the NOx limits are very close to the US requirements. In fact once a car in the USA reaches I believe its 5 years old or 50,000 miles and goes on to a more lenient requirement for emissions and for those, European emissions for NOx in diesels supercede that. Unlike American cars, European ones are required to meet the emissions standards in force when they were built regardless of whether they're a year old or 20 years old. They don't get an allowance for age or mileage.

You should stop believing the rubbish the US automotive industry pushes to try and justify the crap they manufacture.

As an aside, Chevrolet is seen as a budget brand in the UK. Their cars are a bit crap, built cheaply and people who buy them are those who can't afford Skodas.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:24:52 AM by M6GOM » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »

Actually apart from NOx emissions, European Euro V/VI diesel emission requirements are more strict and even the NOx limits are very close to the US requirements. In fact once a car in the USA reaches I believe its 5 years old or 50,000 miles and goes on to a more lenient requirement for emissions and for those, European emissions for NOx in diesels supercede that. Unlike American cars, European ones are required to meet the emissions standards in force when they were built regardless of whether they're a year old or 20 years old. They don't get an allowance for age or mileage.

You should stop believing the rubbish the US automotive industry pushes to try and justify the crap they manufacture.

As an aside, Chevrolet is seen as a budget brand in the UK. Their cars are a bit crap, built cheaply and people who buy them are those who can't afford Skodas.

You are miss informed. California has far stricter laws than Europe and more states are joining them. Even the Chevy Volt had to get a special certification to qualify for car pool lane. I do not doubt you have some regs but I follow independent news and it is tuff to get a oil burner in US than Europe these days. For many years emission rules were loose in US on diesels but they changed that a few years ago. With direct injection gas motors becoming main stream here diesel is loosing luster and soon we will see wider use of Atkinson Cycle engines to which will offer diesel like MPG without the noise or smell and cold weather quirks. One reason for Priuses high MPG is not only Hybrid but also Atkinson Cycle engine with 13 to 1 cr.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: