Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swivel adapter for NMO mount?  (Read 4073 times)
W5AGK

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

I mounted my 2 meter antenna on the front fender of my 2013 Ford F150.  The only place to mount the antenna is not flat, but slopes a little to the outside of the truck - so the antenna sits at an angle pointing out away from the truck.

The AM/FM radio antenna is mounted on the other fender with an offset mount which allows the antenna to be vertical.

I'm looking for an adapter for my NMO mount which would allow mounting the antenna vertically.  Ideally, it would be NMO to NMO.

Does anyone know if such an animal exists and where to find one?

Thanks,
George W5AGK
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »

Hi George,

I can visualize the problem you have as I had it once on car trunk mount that wasn't flat.  I ended up bending the antenna slightly so that even though the mount was angled, the antenna remained true vertical when the lid was closed.  If you have already drilled a hole in your fender for the NMO mount, I'm not sure of any other solution.  I've never seen a swivel as you describe, but I guess you could always have one fabricated at a machine shop. 

On my current pickup (2012 Dodge), I use a fender mount that is vehicle specific and involves no drilling.  The one for your 2013 Ford truck is listed here - http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/ford-f150-2009-2014-ford-expedition-2009-2014-4089.html

Good Luck,
Stephen
N5VTU

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »

Steve's correct. Just bend the whip vertical, and you'll never know the difference.

W5AGK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »

Thanks!  I've already installed the NMO so I'll try bending the antenna.
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

Like stated, bend the whip.  That's what the radio installers do on a lot of fire apparatus.  Heat with a torch if necessary at the bend point.

Be aware that in your 2013 Ford F-150 owner's manual, it states that you should not place transmitting antennas near the engine compartment due to the computers there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: