Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Program Wouxun UVD1P and UV3D with Win7 machine  (Read 2633 times)
AC7CW

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

I like the radios, they are a little difficult to program manually so I bought this cable from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092CT56M/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It worked fine with an XP machine but now I have Win7 and I can't get the cable to install itself when I plug it into a usb port. I didn't keep the cd that came with the cable because some users discovered that it had malware so I don't have the option of using those drivers. I've tried both the drivers from the Wouxun site, the cable won't install with either of them. I found some literature that goes into detail about Win7 drivers, the phoney chipset in that cable, etc.. but essentially I'm looking for some links from somebody that has gotten this to work. I'm suspecting that the cable is not worth the problems, if a cable and software combo can be recommended I'm thinking I'll toss it [after I cut it so it can't ever come back to frustrate me:)] and would love to hear from somebody that programs their Wouxun and get their recommendation for cable/software.

Edit: I looked at the Wouxun cable, it's a db9! I have four laptops here and none of them have db9 [serial port] connectors. I thought that stuff was outdated about the turn of the century but hams are sticking with it, wow... I guess I'd have to buy a serial to usb adapter and who knows if that would work...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:24:11 AM by AC7CW » Logged
AF5DN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

You can get a Wouxun (Kenwood style) cable in USB format.  You may have issues with drivers on win 7 and win 8. 
Here is my video on how to correct this.

http://youtu.be/xV_l3nkT-sg

AJ1Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

Search Amazon for the "Genuine FTDI BaoFeng Programming Cable" at about $21.  From experience you won't have to fool around with drivers, at least with Windows 7, and it works perfectly with my UV-5R and Chirp 0.4.0.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »

My inner cheapskate shot myself in the foot when I bought that cable. There is some imitation active hardware built in. I had it working fine with XP but never with Win7. That contradicts some of the other stated info so I may be dealing with more than one problem. That notwithstanding, it is going to be very satisfying to cut it in half and trash it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: