Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer install recommendations.  (Read 23610 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

I am not against remote head radios by any means I like them actually. The Yeasu FT-8900 in my wife's Durango is mounted that way. I am not wanting to have to do a involved install with a lot of tech and moving parts. I would like as simple as possible with the least amount of individual pieces as feasible. While keeping a solid working system. So I am beginning to look at radio options other than the Yeasu 897 or 857 as well as separate VHF/UHF options. My biggest question now is antennas, mainly mounting options as places look very scarce on the trailer.

480 is plug and play. Speaker is built into remote head and it come with a stand for head too. As far as antenna, as some suggested you could use trailer tongue. I used hamstick like single band antennas for many years and they work really well on 20m and above and fairly decent on 40m. They built in tuner in 480 would let you use most of 40m and all of 20 and above with correct sticks. They can be found for 20 buck or less each. I used a quick disconnect on them and could change them in less than a minute with no tools.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

I'd mount it on the tow bar, directly in front of the body. Since the body is fiberglass it won't affect the antenna much. That should provide the best ground for the antenna plus the metal frame will have the best capacitive coupling to the Earth below it. You could also carry some extended length whips for the antenna that could be added for better efficiency on the lower band while parked.

I mounted mine on the back bumper, using a 12 foot pipe, and a 1 inch ground strap to the antenna, from the trailer frame...  Put the base of the antenna at the roof level of the trailer...  Worked great...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »

Okay decision made HF antenna will be a Tarheel 200A HP. I will mount it to a pole off the tongue. Now I need to be sure it gets grounded right. The fiberglass potion of the trailer isn't a big deal however the aluminium frame and wiring is.

People who have them please tell me how you have mounted yours. And thanks to all who have helped. Still not sure which radio(s) I will get yet though. 

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »

Okay decision made HF antenna will be a Tarheel 200A HP. I will mount it to a pole off the tongue. Now I need to be sure it gets grounded right. The fiberglass potion of the trailer isn't a big deal however the aluminium frame and wiring is.

People who have them please tell me how you have mounted yours. And thanks to all who have helped. Still not sure which radio(s) I will get yet though. 
Mine was mounted on the rear bumper of the trailer, and I ran several 1 inch wide straps down the mounting pole from the 100HP to the trailer frame.  I then ran one good sized strap from the frame to the radio.  I also put a .01 across the inverter output for the entire trailer to make sure all RF was shunted to ground, and not back into the system.  Following that I added a LOT of 31 mix ferrite's to the trailer to reduce RF ingress, and a .01 across all fan motors.  .01's and ferrite's were my friends for a day or so after the radio install, getting rid of the RFI from the various items, and killing the RF ingress into the same systems.  I had a metal body for a trailer as well...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »

As others have mentioned, the IC-7100 is a very small radio. The brain box can be mounted anywhere, and with one cat-5 like (not sure if it's compatible with standard cat-5 pins) cable, since the speaker/headset and microphone connections are on the display.

Don't own one, just saw it at the candy store the other day and the size of the thing stuck with me.
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »

I have been hearing both good and bad about it. Some have said that it is very prone to rfi and some have experienced the touch screen failing. I have been looking at that rig though. I may let it get a couple years older before I buy.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: