Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Software for Special Events  (Read 67684 times)
N2LXM

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »

Good Day all, During the year two clubs that I am the president of do Special Events. Some of the events are done at our club facility, during which we use our networked logging program. What I am looking input on is. a simple to use logging program that does not have to many Bells and Whistles to use on Lap tops when we operate in the field. Any and all suggestions we be welcomed. Thanks
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

N1MM in "DXpedition mode". As simple as type in call, hit return, it goes in the log. Lather, rinse, repeat.

All the DVK and morse keying features will work in N1MM if you have them hooked to the rig, too.
K4RUM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »

I like N1MM, but it has a bit of a learning curve.  I suggest you check out N3FJP's ACLog program.  There is a small cost, but it is very intuitive and it might be a good option for your clubs.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »

Good Day all, During the year two clubs that I am the president of do Special Events. Some of the events are done at our club facility, during which we use our networked logging program. What I am looking input on is. a simple to use logging program that does not have to many Bells and Whistles to use on Lap tops when we operate in the field. Any and all suggestions we be welcomed. Thanks
I use N3FJP's Amateur Contact log...  Simple, easy to use, and cheap!  It will generate an ADIF if a subset of contacts, so you can create logs of portable events, etc.  I have a review of it at:

http://nk7z.net/review-of-n3fjps-ac-log-4/

with screen shots, and a reference to an earlier review of version 3.x.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »

N1MM in "DXpedition mode".

N1MM is the easiest and best.....DXpedition mode as stated.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
There are hams that work DX, then there are serious DXers!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 05:35:35 AM »

I like N1MM, but it has a bit of a learning curve.

So what? Download the program (and now here's the tricky part) and READ THE DOCUMENTATION that comes with the program, but DO NOT do it a week before you intend to use it. Give yourself time to go through it and learn how to use it.

The other thing you can do is join one of the N1MM Yahoo groups.

Really, N1MM is not that hard to figure out!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 05:44:40 AM »

N1MM in "DXpedition mode".

N1MM is the easiest and best.....DXpedition mode as stated.

Respectfully I must disagree...  While N1MM is a wonderful program, it is not the simplest to learn.  I remember when I was looking for logging software, N1MM was somewhat convoluted, as compared to N3FJP's software.  N1MM does more,  so it is more complicated to set up, which is why I mentioned N3FJP.  I suspect it is what software we use the most, that is the easiest.  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 06:21:16 AM »

Respectfully I must disagree...  While N1MM is a wonderful program, it is not the simplest to learn.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying...

You don't suggest that N2LXM use this "wonderful program" because, heaven forbid, one must take some time to sit down and read the documentation and learn how to install and use it?

This is totally and utterly pitiful!

You want simple with no "learning curve"? Use a pad of paper and a pencil!

You want powerful and flexible? Use N1MM!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »

Respectfully I must disagree...  While N1MM is a wonderful program, it is not the simplest to learn.

So let me see if I understand what you are saying...

You don't suggest that N2LXM use this "wonderful program" because, heaven forbid, one must take some time to sit down and read the documentation and learn how to install and use it?

This is totally and utterly pitiful!

You want simple with no "learning curve"? Use a pad of paper and a pencil!

You want powerful and flexible? Use N1MM!

Here we go again....  Another N1MM zombie...

Look at the question...  The original poster asked for something simple...  So far all you have managed to demonstrate is your inability to read, comprehend, help another ham, and communicate...  Really, is this how you deal with someone that has a different opinion than you?  So far you have managed to insult me, the original poster, and in general make your self look stupid...  Oh well...  I tried to be respectful...

Thanks,
Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »

Here we go again....  Another N1MM zombie...

I have no vested interest in N1MM other than being a very satisfied user of the program. I like it and it serves my purposes very well.

Look at the question...  The original poster asked for something simple...  So far all you have managed to demonstrate is your inability to read, comprehend, help another ham, and communicate...

It is precisely because I can read that I find N1MM to be very simple to use. If there is a contest coming up in which I want to participate, I can get N1MM set up and ready to use in about 30 seconds (or less!) no matter what mode it is and even if I have never operated in that contest before.

So far you have managed to insult me, the original poster, and in general make your self look stupid...  

On the contrary! You are the one embarrassing your self and making your self look stupid and insult the OP because you are making the assumption that he is too ignorant or lazy to read and comprehend the documentation for N1MM. He wants something simple and easy to use. Yes, it takes time to get comfortable with N1MM, but once you do, it is simple and easy to use.

Telling someone that a particular program is not a good option because it is not simply a matter of "plug & play" is about the dumbest thing I have heard!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:04:37 AM by N0IU » Logged
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »

Don't know why we take the time to be involved in these forums.   Embarrassed

I don't know of ANY computer program that you simply START and it does everything for you. They ALL have learning curves....I guess it just depends on how much one wants to be spoon-fed in order to make things work.

I guess the answer is....use whatever you want. N1MM is not that complicated. No cracks on N3FJP, its just that once you use N1MM (especially on CW / RTTY) most won't migrate back.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
There are hams that work DX, then there are serious DXers!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

Don't know why we take the time to be involved in these forums.   Embarrassed

I guess it just depends on how much one wants to be spoon-fed in order to make things work.

It appears as if you and I are in the minority on this one Tom. The next thing you know, these kids will want to get their license without having to learn Morse code!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

Here we go again....  Another N1MM zombie...

I have no vested interest in N1MM other than being a very satisfied user of the program. I like it and it serves my purposes very well.

Look at the question...  The original poster asked for something simple...  So far all you have managed to demonstrate is your inability to read, comprehend, help another ham, and communicate...

It is precisely because I can read that I find N1MM to be very simple to use. If there is a contest coming up in which I want to participate, I can get N1MM set up and ready to use in about 30 seconds (or less!) no matter what mode it is and even if I have never operated in that contest before.

So far you have managed to insult me, the original poster, and in general make your self look stupid...  

On the contrary! You are the one embarrassing your self and making your self look stupid and insult the OP because you are making the assumption that he is too ignorant or lazy to read and comprehend the documentation for N1MM. He wants something simple and easy to use. Yes, it takes time to get comfortable with N1MM, but once you do, it is simple and easy to use.

Telling someone that a particular program is not a good option because it is not simply a matter of "plug & play" is about the dumbest thing I have heard!

Are you kidding, this is how you respond?  Wow...  The others were right, you are a loon...  BTW, the word "your self", is not two words...  Perhaps you should read a simple manual on how to write...

Thanks,
Dave
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 04:34:36 AM »

Stop, oh please stop!!!

I am laughing so hard at your response my sides are hurting!!

Since you can't say anything about why he shouldn't use N1MM, you stoop so low that the only thing you can do is comment on my grammar!

Here, I made this just for you:

Wear it with pride!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:37:30 AM by N0IU » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »

Stop, oh please stop!!!

I am laughing so hard at your response my sides are hurting!!

Since you can't say anything about why he shouldn't use N1MM, you stoop so low that the only thing you can do is comment on my grammar!

Here, I made this just for you:

Wear it with pride!

Lets review...

1.  Someone asks for suggestions for logging software.
2.  Someone suggests N3FJP
3.  Someone suggests N1MM.
4.  Someone suggests that N3FJP is less complex than N1MM
5.  You go nuts...

This is one of those my religion is better than your religion arguments...  Take your lithium for today, and relax...  Take the last word, as I can tell already you are one of those folks...  Enjoy!

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: