About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRTC  (Read 9960 times)
KO1D

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »

This may have been addressed before but curiosity has struck.

Why doesn't WRTC include digital modes? SSB and CW are good but there is a third discipline that is equally important. Just curious.

Thanks!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »

I was a little surprised, considering how many EU's and EU HQ's are involved, that the SSB seemed a little thin. I get the impression that maybe EU-on-EU-HQ SSB action might be a little more common than the intercontinental SSB action.

I'm a big fan of RTTY contesting (Even with my call in top-10 HP box of big-boy RTTY tests!), but WRTC does not need digital added. A lot of stations struggle with the equipment/operator/computer shift between RTTY and other modes. Few to none of the WRTC contestants have ever done much in the way of RTTY.

Tim.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:55:01 AM »

From what I was seeing watching the WRTC scoring the teams favored CW due to faster exchanges and more points per Q. The more SSB you worked the lower your score. Could be wrong on that.

As far as managing multiple modes, well its the Olympics...think of the Pentathalon on a single day. The best of the best gotta make it all happen! Smiley

BTW congrats on RTTY accomplishments. I am just now starting to tinker with RTTY contesting. NAQP was my first solo attempt (half-hearted at that due to baby duties.) I think I will try and have a bit moer chair time this fall and hopefully get a real antenna up on the low bands (30-160).
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »

From what I was seeing watching the WRTC scoring the teams favored CW due to faster exchanges and more points per Q. The more SSB you worked the lower your score. Could be wrong on that.

WRTC stations got the same points for CW or SSB contacts. Basically, running stations in a contest on SSB with 100W and simple antennas (tribander at 40', dipoles) just isn't as productive as on CW. Especially 80 and 40 with summertime qrn are not fun on SSB with low power and dipoles!

Tor
N4OGW
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »

Why doesn't WRTC include digital modes?

None of the other posts, so far, has really addressed your question.

The reason that WRTC doesn't include digital (e.g. rtty) is that it's a "contest within a contest" with the WRTC teams making their contacts as part of the IARU HF Championship, which is a cw/ssb event.

Mel - KS2G
KJ3Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

Why doesn't the IARU HF Championship have digital? "SSB and CW are good but there is a third discipline that is equally important. Just curious." Grin Grin Grin
Al, kj3q
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »

Why doesn't the IARU HF Championship have digital? "SSB and CW are good but there is a third discipline that is equally important. Just curious." Grin Grin Grin
Al, kj3q

Generally speaking, most contests are single mode.

IARU and the ARRL 10-Meter Contest are among a handful of contests that combine cw and ssb in the same event.

The digital world has it's own, separate (mostly RTTY) events ... the biggest being CQWW-DX-RTTY.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Al, kj3q

If WRTC were done hunger games-style...

a big pile of radios, cables, accessories, computers, keyers, paddles, microphones, tower and antenna aluminum, plus your desired RTTY mode equipment (let's say, a Model 28 Teletype!) - that the competitors have to battle for to build their stations

... the contestants would grab the CW stuff first and battle most vigorously with the competition to get the CW equipment. They would then grab the phone stuff but there would not be a lot of competition for it. RTTY? They would just leave the RTTY stuff behind.

Yeah, sure, some poor guy from some hick district would be stuck with no paddles and he would get the cast-off Model 28 and RTTY stuff. He would perservere with the contest, nevertheless. Maybe he'd even figure out how to whistle a bird song that was a RTTY CQ and his callsign/exchange.
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »

CW has the advantage of being picked up by the skimmer, hence many more DXCluster spots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: