Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Software for Special Events  (Read 65857 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 04:49:27 AM »

While N1MM is a wonderful program, it is not the simplest to learn.  I remember when I was looking for logging ware, N1MM was somewhat convoluted, as compared to N3FJP's software.  N1MM does more,  so it is more complicated to set up, which is why I mentioned N3FJP.  I suspect it is what software we use the most, that is the easiest.  Smiley

N1MM without a doubt or dispute is the way to go. It is not hard to learn unless you are hamradio challenged. Certainly it requires more effort to learn than N3FJP's loggers. However most Hams will quickly outgrow N3FJP's loggers.

N1MM logger is for Real Hams. N3FJP loggers are for Newbies that are lazy and do not want to expend any effort whatsoever on learning logger software.

Stan K9IUQ
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 05:07:55 AM »

Lots of free and demo versions available. Download a few and try them out, find what fits your need. Hope some that have run special events can pipe in here and let us know what they used.
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »

Hope some that have run special events can pipe in here and let us know what they used.

I did.

Participated in DXpeditions.

Participated in many Field Days (coordinate the CW station for KY4KY)

Participated in W1AW/4 (1st week KY)

Will be coordinator for W1AW/4 (2nd week KY)

Many contests yearly.

Again, use what you like. Simple usually means less versatility and less options. It will work, but when you ask for advice......

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:07:43 AM by KE4KY » Logged

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
There are hams that work DX, then there are serious DXers!
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »

Good Evening All, I really did not want to start a Princeton Debate on this topice. Our radio club dose use the N3JFP software package. As some have stated, it is easy to learn and use. As We are not a Contest Station, so we do not need the resources that the other packages have. Besides that we have many newly licensed Hams, and this package is the best to learn on. What I was looking for is something along the lines of the Squirrel Fieldday logger. Simple, one line on the screen, with areas for the basic QSO information. So the hunt continues. 73 and Good DX.
VE3CX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

There are a few things I would like to point out:

The original wish list was for the logger to work in a networked environment.  With all due respect, this rules N3FJP out.

A new version of N1MM is due out in the next few months, which I think will nicely address many of the "Its too hard to learn and use" issues you may have experienced.  It is undergoing a complete rewrite, and from the demos that were shown at Dayton, it WILL be much easier to learn and use, including working in a networked environment with auto-discovery of machines on the network.

I do understand you are not a contest club, but personally, I think N1MM is still worth considering.  In DXpedition mode, it IS what you are looking for.  Enter call, press enter, and move on to the next caller.  Does not get much easier than that.  That will be some setup to interface the radio(s), but this will make things easier.  That way, the program will automatically know the frequency and mode - one less thing for the operator to forget to log and possibly get wrong.

Pardon me for saying this, but I am not sure why there is is an absolute need to keep things with a zero learning curve.  There is a learning curve to operate a radio - ANY radio.  There is a learning curve to making QSO's, operating a computer, driving a car, and the list goes on.  There will be a learning curve regardless of the logging program you select.

Good luck with the search!

Tom - VE3CX
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 07:55:05 PM »

There are a few things I would like to point out:

The original wish list was for the logger to work in a networked environment.  With all due respect, this rules N3FJP out.

A new version of N1MM is due out in the next few months, which I think will nicely address many of the "Its too hard to learn and use" issues you may have experienced.  It is undergoing a complete rewrite, and from the demos that were shown at Dayton, it WILL be much easier to learn and use, including working in a networked environment with auto-discovery of machines on the network.

I do understand you are not a contest club, but personally, I think N1MM is still worth considering.  In DXpedition mode, it IS what you are looking for.  Enter call, press enter, and move on to the next caller.  Does not get much easier than that.  That will be some setup to interface the radio(s), but this will make things easier.  That way, the program will automatically know the frequency and mode - one less thing for the operator to forget to log and possibly get wrong.

Pardon me for saying this, but I am not sure why there is is an absolute need to keep things with a zero learning curve.  There is a learning curve to operate a radio - ANY radio.  There is a learning curve to making QSO's, operating a computer, driving a car, and the list goes on.  There will be a learning curve regardless of the logging program you select.

Good luck with the search!

Tom - VE3CX

Hi Tom,
ACLog supported networking starting with version 4.0. 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »

I do understand you are not a contest club, but personally, I think N1MM is still worth considering.  In DXpedition mode, it IS what you are looking for.  Enter call, press enter, and move on to the next caller.  Does not get much easier than that.

I violently agree here. N1MM DXpedition mode really is that easy.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »

Our radio club dose use the N3JFP software package. As some have stated, it is easy to learn and use. As We are not a Contest Station, so we do not need the resources that the other packages have. Besides that we have many newly licensed Hams, and this package is the best to learn on.

If you are in a Contest you ARE a Contest Station. Easy to learn and use: AKA the dumbing down of present Newbie Hams..

Stan K9IUQ
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:33 AM »

Good Evening All, I really did not want to start a Princeton Debate on this topice. Our radio club dose use the N3JFP software package. As some have stated, it is easy to learn and use. As We are not a Contest Station, so we do not need the resources that the other packages have. Besides that we have many newly licensed Hams, and this package is the best to learn on. What I was looking for is something along the lines of the Squirrel Fieldday logger. Simple, one line on the screen, with areas for the basic QSO information. So the hunt continues. 73 and Good DX.

Given your original request, of something simple, and given that you are currently using N3FJP's software, which one of the several packages are you using?  It sounds like you want a Field Day package, in an upthread post I mentioned ACLog, which is not a FD package, but a day to day logging program...  There is a Field Day package put out by N3FJP.  It seems to work well, and gets the job done without any failures, and is simple to use.  I assume you have looked at his FD Package? 

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »

O.K. This now has gotten way off topic. The intent of the posting was to find a simple logging program. Like the Squirrel Logger, ( Under Stand, One Line on the screen, basic QSO Information )but for general logging. We are not going to be in a contest, but a Yearly Special Event in August. I have read all the posts and can agree with some of the postings. I will check out the other functions of the N3JFP software package, and if it fills the need, will use it. I just want some input and direction to any program that may fill these requirements. If there is nothing out there like this, then maybe someone will produce one. Thanks to all who responded.
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

For something really simple....

The SKCCLogger  http://www.skccgroup.com/member_services/files_and_downloads/

Go to the paragraph labeled To install:. Look for the italicized word "here"

Has rig control, should you need it. Can import/export ADIF format logs. About simple as you get.

Glenn

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »

I (and several other club members) ran W3R, special event station for the
Whiskey Rebellion Festival in Washington PA over the last 2 weeks.

I used (God forbid) N1MM in DXPedition mode for the event.

Ran FLAWLESSLY.

OK< flame away !
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

This is one of those my religion is better than your religion arguments...

So who is arguing?

Let's do a quick poll of the results so far:

N3FJP has been recommended by K4RUM and NK7Z which would be 2.

N1MM has been recommended by KE4KY, N3QE, N0IU, K9IUQ, VE3CX and KB3LIX which would be 6.

Maybe our religion really is better than your religion after all!  Grin
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »

another simple logger is General Logger v8 by Dave Mascaro  aka W3KM
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »

The N3FJP suite of programs is what I "teethed" on while getting started in the contesting world. Our club used it for Field Day, so I thought it was the only comprehensive contesting software out there. I would have never known the difference would it not have been for reading forums like this, and most importantly, trying something new. I began to migrate over to N1MM, learning the ins & outs slowly with each new contest. I will use nothing else that is out there currently, and will heartily recommend the program every chance I get.

N3FJP is good, I just rate N1MM as better.

Should I be at a location that uses a N3FJP log, I know it, so no problem using it. It is quite capable of getting the job done.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: