Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging Software for Special Events  (Read 50874 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

While N1MM is a wonderful program, it is not the simplest to learn.  I remember when I was looking for logging ware, N1MM was somewhat convoluted, as compared to N3FJP's software.  N1MM does more,  so it is more complicated to set up, which is why I mentioned N3FJP.  I suspect it is what software we use the most, that is the easiest.  Smiley

N1MM without a doubt or dispute is the way to go. It is not hard to learn unless you are hamradio challenged. Certainly it requires more effort to learn than N3FJP's loggers. However most Hams will quickly outgrow N3FJP's loggers.

N1MM logger is for Real Hams. N3FJP loggers are for Newbies that are lazy and do not want to expend any effort whatsoever on learning logger software.

Stan K9IUQ

August 31, 2013, 03:13:57 PM

FWIW Commcat is the Best Logger for Dxers, Award Tracking and LOTW.

Stan K9IUQ

September 27, 2013, 02:33:48 PM

I use Commcat and HRD. Both are commercial loggers.  Howard Nurse (Commcat) is an excellent responder to suggestions and or bugs. I also used Logic logger for 20 years and their support is second to nobody. I know all this from first hand experience. Also the HRD boys seem very responsive to suggestions and bugs. HRD is head and shoulders a better Logger than DXLabs.

HRD costs $100 and Commcat $50. Dxlabs costs $0 and it is worth that.

Stan K9IUQ

-------

So Stan, Mr. Real Ham, tell us which software REALLY is best?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 05:08:38 AM »

N1MM is the best contest logger without any doubt.
Commcat is the Best Logger for Dxers, Award Tracking and LOTW
For Dxing and everyday use Commcat is the way to go.
HRD is also a fine choice for DXing and everyday logging
N3FJP logger is for Newbies that have no interest in being Real Hams.
DXLabs is for the cheapos that have a lot of spare time to learn a logger made for diehard DOS users and absolutely will not spend money on a logger

What else would you like to know??

Stan K9IUQ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »

"DXLabs is for the cheapos that have a lot of spare time to learn a logger made for diehard DOS users and absolutely will not spend money on a logger."

I supported DXBase for many years, purchasing new software updates as they became available.  After AA4LU sold the company, DXBase degraded in value for me, so that I switched to DXLab several years ago.  I would gladly pay for DXLab and its continual upgrades; however Dave, AA6YQ, chooses to give it away free to the ham community.

DXLab has nothing to do with DOS.  Dilettantes may not like it, but serious DX'ers do.

Chuck  NI0C 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »

N1MM is the best contest logger without any doubt.
Commcat is the Best Logger for Dxers, Award Tracking and LOTW
For Dxing and everyday use Commcat is the way to go.
HRD is also a fine choice for DXing and everyday logging
N3FJP logger is for Newbies that have no interest in being Real Hams.
DXLabs is for the cheapos that have a lot of spare time to learn a logger made for diehard DOS users and absolutely will not spend money on a logger

What else would you like to know??

Stan K9IUQ

So, your contention is that N1MM can do all that the list above does, and, as well?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

So, your contention is that N1MM can do all that the list above does, and, as well?

I made it pretty clear, at least clear enough that Real Hams could understand..

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 04:33:32 PM »

Dave, AA6YQ, chooses to give it away free to the ham community.

DXLab has nothing to do with DOS.  

Dave gives it away because if it was priced at $100 like HRD or even $50 like Commcat, few hams would use it.
Perhaps you remember the bargain software bins in computer stores of years past? They would dump all the old outdated software in a bin and price at $5. Even at $5 people would not buy the old software. This is DXlabs only instead of $5 it is free.

DXlabs has an (REAL) ugly interface, is non-intuitive and requires a ham that has a LOT of time to figure out how to use it. DXLabs is for hams that would rather play with loggers than do hamming....

DXlabs is programmed with obsolete software that is at least 15 years past it's prime. It is one of the reasons DXlabs looks so dated....

DOS = Dated Old Software (in the bargain bin)
Dxlabs easily fits this description..

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:48:16 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »

"DXLabs is for the cheapos that have a lot of spare time to learn a logger made for diehard DOS users and absolutely will not spend money on a logger."

I supported DXBase for many years, purchasing new software updates as they became available.  After AA4LU sold the company, DXBase degraded in value for me, so that I switched to DXLab several years ago.  I would gladly pay for DXLab and its continual upgrades; however Dave, AA6YQ, chooses to give it away free to the ham community.

DXLab has nothing to do with DOS.  Dilettantes may not like it, but serious DX'ers do.

Chuck  NI0C 

I agree wholeheartedly with Stan. Dave has a nice group of programs that comprise the DX Labs Suite but it really really really suffers from an antiquated UI which makes using it a chore. Call the UI ambulance.

Stan, add Log4OM to the list - great logger for general use..
Don KF7DS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »

Stan,  I acknowledge that you are a "Real Ham"!

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »

Chuck  NI0C 

I agree wholeheartedly with Stan. Dave has a nice group of programs that comprise the DX Labs Suite but it really really really suffers from an antiquated UI which makes using it a chore. Call the UI ambulance.

Stan, add Log4OM to the list - great logger for general use..
Don KF7DS

Well, what do I know about logging software anyway?  I'm only on two DXCC honor rolls and have only 9 band DXCC, with no towers or beams.  Maybe if I changed logging software I could improve.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »

Well, what do I know about logging software anyway?  I'm only on two DXCC honor rolls and have only 9 band DXCC, with no towers or beams.  Maybe if I changed logging software I could improve.

You can tell you hang with AA6YQ. Bragging and patting himself on the back comes natural to him. His users sometimes exhibit the same traits.

The same hams that use Win XP and refuse to change have the same mindset as those that use DXLabs.

Logger Software will not help you improve your DX Total in spite of what Dave and his lemmings spout,. Personal skills let you work DX along with big antennas and power, not outdated WinXP era software.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:39:46 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »

Stan,  I acknowledge that you are a "Real Ham"!

Thank you for the nice picture, I like it. However what you or anyone else acknowledge is of no concern to K9IUQ.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »

Dave has a nice group of programs that comprise the DX Labs Suite but it really really really suffers from an antiquated UI which makes using it a chore.

Your praise of DXlabs is quite true but lacking in many details.  Wink Wink Cheesy

WinXp in its day was THE OS to use but is is way past its prime and is not what modern Real Hams use these days. The same can be said for DXLabs. It is way past its prime. Modern intelligent Real hams that want the latest and greatest logger will shun DXLabs.

AA6YQ  continues to spin that his logger is the best and will help you work DX. Only Newbies and those that live in the past believe him any more.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:28 PM »

K9IUQ wrote:
Logger Software will not help you improve your DX Total in spite of what Dave and his lemmings spout,

He also wrote:
DXLabs is for hams that would rather play with loggers than do hamming....

You have contradicted yourself here, Stan.

KF7DS also made the claim that DXLab was "a chore" to use. 

Based on several years experience with DXLab, I can state that it is not a chore to use, nor does it require much tinkering or "playing" with.   It just flat out works for me.

Moreover, your relentless bashing of DXLab's author in these forums speaks very poorly of you. 
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »

Moreover, your relentless bashing of DXLab's author in these forums speaks very poorly of you.  

Yep, attack the poster when you do not like the message. Dave has done the same exact thing when one dislikes his precious software publicly. Dxlab lovers are SO predicable.

I agree, I am relentless when speaking the truth. I refuse to tell lies or spin my opinions to get hams think highly of me.
My opinions are what they are. Mine. You or no one else has to agree with me. My relentless (?) opinions on DXlabs does not equal AA6YQ's relentless promoting of his DxLabs logger on eham forums.

I post what other hams think but are afraid to say because of peer pressure and flaming prevalent on internet forums.

After 54 years of being a Ham I ain't looking for acceptance.... Nor am I afraid of rocking the boat and express an view that might be different than yours.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:16:31 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »

Yep, attack the poster when you do not like the message.

No attack intended-- I merely pointed out that you do a mighty good job of attacking yourself with many of your postings here.  Carry on.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: