The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forfeiting amatuer radio license  (Read 82541 times)
W8ASI

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:40 AM »

Does anyone know what steps can be taken to forfeit or "give up" your amateur radio license, if at all possible?   
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, all you have to do is to write a letter stating you're surrendering your license to the appropriate FCC division, enclose the original of the license, and you'll be done.  That, though, has to be done by snail mail, because they require an original signature on it.  Or you could just let it expire and not renew it.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »

If you log into the ULS system, there is an option to cancel your license. Honestly, I am afraid to click on this option to see what is involved because I don't want to accidentally cancel my license!
KK4RHF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »

Does anyone know what steps can be taken to forfeit or "give up" your amateur radio license, if at all possible?   
Why would you want to do that?
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »

Why would you want to do that?

The only time I've actually ever heard of it was if the licensee was required to, as part of a court order or consent decree. You sometimes see it as part of an FCC enforcement action.

As for other reasons, here are some that I can think of (though I don't consider any of them to be real):

- You could be protesting the US government and all of its actions (including the issuance of your own license)
- You could have decided that your tin foil hat wasn't enough to protect your head from the RF radiation your own station was creating
- You could be getting married, your spouse-to-be absolutely refuses to be married to a "geek", and you choose spouse over radio
- You are going into the witness protection program, and you don't want to tell the FCC your new name and address (and don't want them to prosecute you for not keeping your name/address on file with them current)
- You could be relinquishing your US citizenship and moving overseas, and no longer have a US mailing address (or even someone to forward mail to you)

I'm sure there are others, likely even some serious ones.

P.S. to K1CJS: It's possible that there used to be a requirement to cancel with an original signature and the original of your license, but that is not consistent with current rules. Your "original" license now is the database entry in the ULS, not the piece of paper that they send you. And since you can do everything else regarding your license with electronic signatures on the ULS, N0IU's observation of a "cancel" option within the ULS makes more sense.

Of course, if you want to mail them a letter with a signature, that works too, just like they still accept paper 605s.

P.S. to N0IU: I'll bet the "cancel licenses" option in the ULS is similar to the "request duplicates" option, which gives you a list of all the licenses under your FRN. You then have to select the one(s) for which you want to receive the duplicate copies. But I don't want to try it either.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »

P.S. to N0IU: I'll bet the "cancel licenses" option in the ULS is similar to the "request duplicates" option, which gives you a list of all the licenses under your FRN. You then have to select the one(s) for which you want to receive the duplicate copies. But I don't want to try it either.

Yeah, this is like all of the people on the gun forums who say that a .22 is a poor choice as a self defense weapon to which I say, "OK, you stand over there and let me fire this .22 directly at you and then tell me how ineffective it is." No one has taken me up on that offer!
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

Why not let it just die of natural causes?
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

Yes a license may be cancelled any time you choose.  FCC's Universal Licensing System is their preferred method of dealing with license administration.  I'm not taking the chance of logging in with my call to investigate but it's a safe bet the cancellation option is lurking there somewhere. 

It's rare for an amateur to voluntarily request this but 7 years ago, a high-profile individual did.  Country music star Patty Loveless (real name Patty L Ramey) KD4WUJ filed for and received cancellation of her license.  Her husband, Emory Gordy Jr W4WRO cancelled his also.  (Search FCC ULS to verify).  There was much speculation about why they bailed out. 

73 Mike W8MW 
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 05:14:58 AM »

I recall that a Hawaiian ham did this to get a preferred 2x2 callsign.

When the FCC restarted the sequential callsigns in 1978, Technician class licensees were assigned the preferred 2x2 calls starting with KH6.  Advanced class licensees got 2x2s starting with AH6.  Extras got 2x1s.

An Advanced or Extra class licensee with a KH6 2x3 call could only get a KH6 2x2 by turning in his license and starting over... Roll Eyes

Zack W1VT
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »

I recall that a Hawaiian ham did this to get a preferred 2x2 callsign.

When the FCC restarted the sequential callsigns in 1978, Technician class licensees were assigned the preferred 2x2 calls starting with KH6.  Advanced class licensees got 2x2s starting with AH6.  Extras got 2x1s.

An Advanced or Extra class licensee with a KH6 2x3 call could only get a KH6 2x2 by turning in his license and starting over... Roll Eyes

Zack W1VT

Not exactly.  If I remember correctly, on the paper 610 forms, you could request a new sequential callsign from any group that you qualified for, so he could just state he wanted a group C call.  I don't believe you can do that now, unfortunately.

73 John AF5CC
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »

When I applied for my fathers old call as a vanity, I had to cancell my then current call before they could issue the other. A technicality yes, but it felt weird following their directions and cancelling one for the other.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »

When I applied for my fathers old call as a vanity, I had to cancell my then current call before they could issue the other. A technicality yes, but it felt weird following their directions and cancelling one for the other.

Who told you that you had to cancel your current call BEFORE you could be granted a vanity call? I have a vanity call and I did not have to cancel my sequential call before getting it. Once the vanity was granted, the sequential call was automatically cancelled.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »

Who told you that you had to cancel your current call BEFORE you could be granted a vanity call? I have a vanity call and I did not have to cancel my sequential call before getting it. Once the vanity was granted, the sequential call was automatically cancelled.

I think we have a failure to communicate here.

KB5ETD was not cancelled prior to the issuance of K4PIH. Mr. Lewis (as KB5ETD) submitted three vanity applications to claim K4PIH under the "close relative" clause, two on 23 Dec 2010 and one on 3 Jan 2011. The first (app #4546551) was granted on 11 Jan 2011 and resulted in the cancellation of KB5ETD. The later two apps (4546576 and 4555590) were dismissed on 11 Jan 2011 and 21 Jan 2011 respectively.

My guess is that Mr. Lewis may have been confused by the wording of the vanity application process. (The fact that he submitted three separate applications for the same callsign indicates some unfamiliarity with the process anyway.) As N0IU stated, by definition, the granting of a vanity callsign results in the cancellation of the previous callsign. Although the cancellation is simultaneous with the new grant, the applicant agrees to the cancellation as part of the application, either explicitly or de facto. Mr. Lewis may have interpreted those instructions as cancelling his previous license instantaneously with the submittal of his application.
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »

If you tired of the hobby, just allow your current license to expire, and not renew it.
An option would be to maintain your current license and go inactive. Perhaps someday you may wish to become active again.
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »

I tried to let my "cracker jack license' lapse back in 2011 but my father renewed it without me knowing so I decided to give it one more go a couple years ago and now I am at my wits end with the people in this hobby. Too many "Mister Know It All's" prima donnas out there....otherwise known as "cracker jack extras", it is so easy to pass these current tests compared to many years ago it doesn't take much effort, which draws the scum into the hobby.   I am tired of all the crap on HF (esp the "clicks" of people who won't even give you time of day, or step on your with 2500-5000 watts), minimal VHF/UHF activity nowadays compared to 10-20 years ago, most of the good operators are now dead, (heck no one makes a vhf/uhf all mode radio anymore unless you get a all-in-one-box which just isn't the same thing...and it doesn't justify to spend thousands of dollars to talk to NO ONE on vhf/uhf SSB which is the main reasoning I got in ham radio to get away from the local CB garbage (which now is full of hams running illegal power!....go figure), all the Ego's out there (when they don't even know half of what they are talking about) and everything else. Ham radio is just not the way it used to be so I am done with it, I don't get any thrills working DX (whooptie do!) and I dislike contesting. I can't stand cookie cutter contacts.. Selling out all my stuff and going on ULS to revoke my license eventually before the end of the year. I have many other hobbies I enjoy more than a "radio" with a 3" speaker and voices coming out of it so its time to "move on".....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: