The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forfeiting amatuer radio license  (Read 83292 times)
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »

I tried to let my "cracker jack license' lapse back in 2011 but my father renewed it without me knowing so I decided to give it one more go a couple years ago and now I am at my wits end with the people in this hobby. Too many "Mister Know It All's" prima donnas out there....otherwise known as "cracker jack extras", it is so easy to pass these current tests compared to many years ago it doesn't take much effort, which draws the scum into the hobby.   I am tired of all the crap on HF (esp the "clicks" of people who won't even give you time of day, or step on your with 2500-5000 watts), minimal VHF/UHF activity nowadays compared to 10-20 years ago, most of the good operators are now dead, (heck no one makes a vhf/uhf all mode radio anymore unless you get a all-in-one-box which just isn't the same thing...and it doesn't justify to spend thousands of dollars to talk to NO ONE on vhf/uhf SSB which is the main reasoning I got in ham radio to get away from the local CB garbage (which now is full of hams running illegal power!....go figure), all the Ego's out there (when they don't even know half of what they are talking about) and everything else. Ham radio is just not the way it used to be so I am done with it, I don't get any thrills working DX (whooptie do!) and I dislike contesting. I can't stand cookie cutter contacts.. Selling out all my stuff and going on ULS to revoke my license eventually before the end of the year. I have many other hobbies I enjoy more than a "radio" with a 3" speaker and voices coming out of it so its time to "move on".....

I'm sorry you feel this way! There are so many different modes you can get involved in. Have you tried any of the digital modes on HF? Some of them need very little power to make a contact! How about the new digital SSTV modes?

I also get great satisfaction as a VE team member. I have been doing this since I got my Extra in 1991. I really enjoy letting a new ham know that he or she has earned a shiny new license. The team I am currently involved with also takes Elmering seriously. We encourage new hams to upgrade.

We so need the older hams like you and me to help anchor this hobby; to help the new hams to learn and remember the past accomplishments of ham radio. We also need to guide our younger brethren in learning the technical aspects of the hobby as well as the proper ways to behave on the air. But, and this is an important but, we should also be open to learning new things from the newer hams, as they are more familiar with the newer technologies. I guess this comes from being an old, retired school teacher. The day I stop learning is the day they put me in the ground!

Please give your decision some more thought. Our hobby needs the stability of the older, good hams!

73 OM and CUL!

Will Rogers
K5WLR   Smiley
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »

Bye. Sounds like you made a good choice, have fun in other hobby(s).
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

I tried to let my "cracker jack license' lapse back in 2011 but my father renewed it without me knowing so I decided to give it one more go a couple years ago and now I am at my wits end with the people in this hobby. Too many "Mister Know It All's" prima donnas out there....otherwise known as "cracker jack extras", it is so easy to pass these current tests compared to many years ago it doesn't take much effort, which draws the scum into the hobby.   I am tired of all the crap on HF (esp the "clicks" of people who won't even give you time of day, or step on your with 2500-5000 watts), minimal VHF/UHF activity nowadays compared to 10-20 years ago, most of the good operators are now dead, (heck no one makes a vhf/uhf all mode radio anymore unless you get a all-in-one-box which just isn't the same thing...and it doesn't justify to spend thousands of dollars to talk to NO ONE on vhf/uhf SSB which is the main reasoning I got in ham radio to get away from the local CB garbage (which now is full of hams running illegal power!....go figure), all the Ego's out there (when they don't even know half of what they are talking about) and everything else. Ham radio is just not the way it used to be so I am done with it, I don't get any thrills working DX (whooptie do!) and I dislike contesting. I can't stand cookie cutter contacts.. Selling out all my stuff and going on ULS to revoke my license eventually before the end of the year. I have many other hobbies I enjoy more than a "radio" with a 3" speaker and voices coming out of it so its time to "move on".....

What you are saying here is in direct contradiction to what's on your QRZ.com page. You speak of the "crap on HF," but you're a Technician class licensee.  You don't even have HF privileges except for a very small segment of 10 meters.  Additionally, your QRZ page says "The only frequency I operate is 50.400 Mhz AM." 

You also seem to have worked Field Day, yet now you want to give up your license?

I smell a troll...  In any event, if you leave you won't be missed.
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »

You guys are looking at it from the outside in, and I am looking at it from the inside out as I once was going to buy 2 ham stores about 10 years ago and got too deep into the hobby in the business end of things and it also ruined it for me as I found out the slim profit margins on equipment and many other things I didn't want to know about and got too much exposure to the local clubs inside BS and all the drama that goes along with it. I never have seen this hobby as something fun but more of a competition of who knows more or who can work more states or countries or who is talking behind who's back.... I mean I cannot talk to another ham in person without them trying to tell me what is right or wrong because they think they know it all because they have 40 years in the hobby. So what? I can do more in 4 years than in 40 years if you put all your time into it but it doesn't matter because most guys do not accept a younger ham giving them advice.  I had a terrible time at field day with guys yelling at me and tempers flaring over stupid stuff. I mean they should have had their wives there to hold their hands. I am not ever doing field day again, too much for me. Don't even get me going about one of the local clubs tying up 6 meters on field day and not letting anyone else use the freqs so it got to point that people where so pissed off they were throwing carriers on 50.125 to block their ears. Then I talk to past CB  friends from years ago who just got their cracker jack extra tickets (who still don't know anymore than they did before they took their tests) and they act like they are converted and put on a total FAKE face and attitude when they talk and act on the radio (or off the radio at events). That's not them, like they are talking or hanging out with their boss or something and putting on a happy fake face. I can't stand it, I was listening to someone today who just acts and talks totally fake on the radio because he feels like he is being watched and taped by the fcc or some repeater cop watchdog with a power trip. Too much of walking on egg shells for me.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »

MMMM
All this talk about Cracker Jacks is making me hungry.

Greg
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »

You speak of the "crap on HF," but you're a Technician class licensee.  You don't even have HF privileges except for a very small segment of 10 meters.

Technician Class has 4 Bands on HF, 80/40/15/10 meters.

3.525-3.600 MHz: CW Only
7.025-7.125 MHz: CW Only
21.025-21.200 MHz: CW Only
28.000-28.300 MHz: CW, RTTY/Data--Maximum power 200 watts PEP
28.300-28.500 MHz: CW, Phone--Maximum power 200 watts

K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »

W8ASI!

OM, please go for the upgrade. Expanding your horizons beyond the local scene might give you a different view of amateur radio.

Personally, I worked to hard to get to where I am in ham radio... I don't plan to give it up. There is stuff that bugs me and stuff I love. I have simply learned to tolerate that which bugs me and enjoy the heck out of that which I love... just some advice from an old ham who is always willing to learn from both younger and older hams.... call it being open-minded, which is kinda rare these days, I guess.  Roll Eyes

Will Rogers
K5WLR
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »

You speak of the "crap on HF," but you're a Technician class licensee.  You don't even have HF privileges except for a very small segment of 10 meters.

W8ASI, I am also a Tech class licensee, and I don't hear "crap on hf" where I operate and we share the same privileges. Are you hearing this on CW?  Or on 10m phone?

If you feel so strongly about it, don't wait till the end of the year to cancel your license as you stated earlier, do it tomorrow!!

W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »

Been on swl/hf since 1980's as listener and participating in many field days over the years. I have monitored 10M phone and all the other bands and I have heard intentional carriers, music being intentioanlly played, noises, etc. It could be CB's coming up and messing with their amateur friends as most of the cb's around here got their "easy to get ticket". I know a lot of people who studied the answers and passed without real intents....  I have heard this activity on 40 and 20 meters as well and man oh man have I heard some stuff that should be on ch 19. There is also a lot of truckers using 10M illegally, mostly down around the bottom end of the band but we caught them also up around 29mhz. Also there are tech licenses out there running 600-2500 watts using CB amps or ameritrons like al-811's or al-80's or 8877's on 10M as they also talk on 11M with the same amps.  Atleast a good 60% of the cb operators here in my area are all general/extra class licenses who all break the rules, and running their kenwoods, icoms on 11m AM. its crazy. its like a free for all. everyones running illegal power.   I have heard roger beeps and echos as there is a lot of export radios used on 10M phone and sometimes people forget to turn then off when they use the radio on 11M. . My area sucks, we have already had numerous letters sent to a number of individuals for many different issues. We keep having problems with a guy running 600w on 10m phone with tech license and he doesn't care.  It's bad here... I think its time to move out of this area and go out in the country in the boondocks and then maybe I might like things better and breathe much cleaner air too....  Cool

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:18:09 PM by W8ASI » Logged
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »

- .-. --- .-.. .-..

73's and have fun,

Jay
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »

I'm perfectly aware of what the Technician privileges are.  You just didn't strike me as a CW operator.

Been on swl/hf since 1980's as listener and participating in many field days over the years. I have monitored 10M phone and all the other bands and I have heard intentional carriers, music being intentioanlly played, noises, etc. It could be CB's coming up and messing with their amateur friends as most of the cb's around here got their "easy to get ticket". I know a lot of people who studied the answers and passed without real intents....  I have heard this activity on 40 and 20 meters as well and man oh man have I heard some stuff that should be on ch 19. There is also a lot of truckers using 10M illegally, mostly down around the bottom end of the band but we caught them also up around 29mhz. Also there are tech licenses out there running 600-2500 watts using CB amps or ameritrons like al-811's or al-80's or 8877's on 10M as they also talk on 11M with the same amps.  Atleast a good 60% of the cb operators here in my area are all general/extra class licenses who all break the rules, and running their kenwoods, icoms on 11m AM. its crazy. its like a free for all. everyones running illegal power.   I have heard roger beeps and echos as there is a lot of export radios used on 10M phone and sometimes people forget to turn then off when they use the radio on 11M. . My area sucks, we have already had numerous letters sent to a number of individuals for many different issues. We keep having problems with a guy running 600w on 10m phone with tech license and he doesn't care.  It's bad here... I think its time to move out of this area and go out in the country in the boondocks and then maybe I might like things better and breathe much cleaner air too....  Cool

It's obvious your mind is made up.  Instead of wasting your time trying to convince the rest of us, why not just go ahead and forfeit your license and be done with it? 
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »

I tried to let my "cracker jack license' lapse back in 2011 but my father renewed it without me knowing so I decided to give it one more go a couple years ago and now I am at my wits end with the people in this hobby. Too many "Mister Know It All's" prima donnas out there....otherwise known as "cracker jack extras", it is so easy to pass these current tests compared to many years ago it doesn't take much effort, which draws the scum into the hobby. 
Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KD2FAR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:36 AM »

Before I get back on topic; it does seem quite odd that people seem so aggressively sensitive about the negative elements in ham radio. I wonder at times if perhaps those who are put off have never ventured into the greater world and encountered rude and condescending folks or encountered a flame-war, or if I have just been lucky enough to avoid the extremes that others face? Regrettably, one must accept that some people are foul and that although the nature of a hobby based on communication makes it easy for such people to pester others, it can only spoil ones own enjoyment if one permits it too. Canceling ones license seems the sort of empty gesture common to the internet where one (forgive the juvenile terminology) BAWWWWS and DELETES F#$%!&@ EVERYTHING before QUITING THE INTERNET!

Seriously though, if one intends to sell their gear I would caution against canceling ones license first. When purchasing gear from a ham it can be very reassuring to see that the information on their ebay account or what not agrees with the information on the FCC or QRZ database. It is unlikely to be a deal breaker if the equipment is reasonably priced but for expensive items it is often enough to reassure one that they are not buying from a scammer. While canceling ones license can be easily achieved by the methods above described it may cast a questionable air around a seller looking to unload merchandise in any quantity.

For dinner on May 27, 1844 S.F.B. Morse had mutton chop and strawberries.
W8ASI

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »

Been listening on the radio here in Detroit area and there is nothing but a bunch of "subject matter experts" on the air who think they know everything and are very rude.  The clubs around here SUCK!!!!! They are all falling apart both with participation and also funding. Within the past 5 years there has been recently licensed CB'ers who now think they know everything because they passed a couple of stupid "fill in the bubble" SCAMTRON tests.  Wish it was back like the 60's when you had to go to a FCC office and do it the right way, then half of these CB fools would not be clogging these airwaves and kerchunking repeaters around here all day.  I work with the OO's here and 100% of our problems are all due to Amateur Radio Licensed CB'ers (surprisingly they are all General or Extra Ops) who are getting licensed to try to use the license to run illegal power on 11 or 10 meters.   Ham radio here in Detroit is not fun anymore, seems like more of a "contest" of ego's and stuck-up personalities.

Maybe Ham radio is not like this in your area, but in my area this hobby is not fun that is why I am selling out and getting out of it. It is much better elsewhere around the country, but not here in this deeply depressing $hithole area of Detroit.   
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »

Been listening on the radio here in Detroit area....
yadda yadda yadda

Here's how I solved that problem....

With all due respect to the local ops, many of whom I have known for decades and are the nicest guys you will ever meet, I actually don't have much if anything to do with the local radio scene. I go into amateur radio for the thrill of working the HF bands. I have never had a VHF/UHF rig in my car and in almost 25 years of being licensed, I bought only my second HT last year.

There is so much more to amateur radio than the limits of a local repeater!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: