Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM IC-7000 to CODAN 9350 antenna - possible ???  (Read 8576 times)
LANDCRUISERMAN

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:29:53 PM »

Has anyone mated these two units or could anyone verify if it is possible? The antenna is a very ruggedly constructed unit and is widely used by the UN across the world. Would a drive unit be required? Any help would be appreciated.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:35 AM »

This antenna has electronics in it's base which controls a motor. The motor drives a shorting bar which is used to adjust its resonance. There are several articles on the web about using it with an Icom 706 and/or 7000.

It isn't very efficient because the coil is wound with size 20 wire, and the coupling between the motor and the screw shaft is a weak point. All considering, there are much better choices, especially when you look at the cost of the antenna compared to say a HiQ.

As additional fodder, you might want to look at this page: http://ozradio.wireless.org.au/9350fix.htm

alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:13:17 AM »

Just in case you are interested, the antenna sells new for about $1,400 plus shipping. For about the same price you could buy two HiQ 5160RT, or three High Sierra 1800S'.

After a little more checking, I find it has to be modified to work with an Icom. From what I read, you have to make a new control cable.

It is also interesting to note, that Codan says the standard fiberglass whip is very rugged, but the recommend you remove it if you're out in the boonies. It does come with a shorter SS whip, however. The power rating is just 150 watts, so any additional power is out of the question.

As I said previously, either of the aforementioned would be a better buy. If you already own the unit, it can be made to work.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »

I guess I wonder what your going for a good antenna or a good looking antenna, From you handle I assume your a landy lover, Are you looking for the look or need the RF?

Take a look at the Icom 2B antenna, Its not any good on 80m but works on 40-6 and has that heavy tough base look you might want.

If its a good antenna, a GOOD high end ham screwdrivers is going to work just as good if not better with the 7000. You can always use a landy antenna mount to hold the screwdriver to your vehicle.
LANDCRUISERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:05:20 PM »

Looks is not an issue at all, I am trying to compare the ICOM AH-2b antenna coupled to an AH-4 tuner to what else is available out there. The Codan 9350 is a MIL spec antenna and is a pressurised unit and as mentioned before used throughout the world by the United Nations. Cost is prohibitive as also mentioned but if it could provide reliable service it might be an option. I am planning an extensive trip into africa later this year and want my comms to be as good as I can afford. This is required to make daily contact with a base camp to ensure all is well etc. As for mounting the antenna, the required brackets can be made up and bolted on to various points on the vehicle.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »

<< The Codan 9350 is a MIL spec antenna and is a pressurised unit and as mentioned before used throughout the world by the United Nations. >>

I'm not sure UN use is any great accolade.

The antenna was designed to operate with specific CODAN radios. It was never designed as a general use antenna with other radios. It is waste of time and money to try to make it do so.

Just get one of the top line motorized antennas and save yourself both money and time. You'll never tell the difference in performance, if indeed there is any.

Lon W3Lk
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VK4SX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »

I have an interface drawing for a TS50S to that antenna, I will send it to you when I get home, about 250kb pdf if that is ok,
rgds
Dennis vk4sx
YO3HJV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »

Well, i know is an old topic but the answer is YES. Codan 9350 and ICOM 7000 are (very) compatible!
The single negative is that the built in preamplifier (in the antenna) cannot be activated with the very simple interface I made and the other interface (from a VK guy) must be used.
Here is the command cable for the ICOM and CODAN: http://yo3hjv.blogspot.ro/2013/11/icom-ic-7000-and-codan-9350-auto-tune.html

Here it is how my Nissan XTrail looks with the antenna: http://yo3hjv.blogspot.ro/2014/04/back.html

73 de Adrian, YO3HJV
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »

I have used the Codan 9350 antenna.  If you need an antenna that your life depends on this is it. If you had to drive across Africa or needed an antenna that your life depended on these Codan antennas would be an excellent choice. Most ham antennas would be corroded or rattled apart  and you would need to carry 10 spares with you. There is no comparison between the Codan 9350 and the typical  ham antenna in terms of reliability and convenience. Despite what K0BG says  about  the poor efficiency of these antennas,  the reality is very different. I have used the Codan  and the performance is more than acceptable on all bands.

The Stealth Telecom is nothing but  copy of the Codan 9350 that is  optimized for ham band use.

Another feature of these Codan antennas that many hams forget about  is that it uses a active pre-amp for things like ALE, SW tuning and Selective calling. Its a greater feature for just tuning around the ham bands. WHen you find someone that you want to call you just hit the tune button.  Contrast this to a screwdriver where you have to constantly tune the device for optimum reception.

Another point about these Codan antennas is that you can massively increase the performance of this antenna by just attaching a piece of wire in place of the stinger. When stationary  and have set up camp this Codan with a wire attached  up  into a tree just blows any ham mobile antenna out of the water. The tuning unit codan will match the extra wire. Try doing that with a screwdriver on all bands. For RV owners and sailors this can be a very convenient feature.

The only limitation with the Codan 9350 is that it has a limited power rating. If you not a gung ho mobile operator and want something better than a hamstick, ATAS and most other mobile antennas other than a high performance screwdrivers the Codan makes a good ham choice. The ease of mounting and use makes it  a good buy in my book. I have used these antennas for years in various work assignments..  These antennas can also be serviced by most hams are  in terms of coil reliability they head and shoulders above any motorised ham antenna. Now if you are rabid DX'er and want  to run a amp,  you would automatically choose a good antenna like the Scorpion which I also use.
YO3HJV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:24:03 AM »

The antenna was designed to operate with specific CODAN radios. It was never designed as a general use antenna with other radios. It is waste of time and money to try to make it do so.

Just get one of the top line motorized antennas and save yourself both money and time. You'll never tell the difference in performance, if indeed there is any.

Lon W3Lk
Baltimore, Maryland

No, is not!
Codan 9350 is a very good antenna and it's working from 2-30 MHz without any problem. The main precaution one has to take is to make  GOOD GROUNDING to the car's body.

The antenna is rated to 125W PEP if I remember well so using with a mobile radio will not be a problem.

A little word about how i did manage to find a fiber glass outer case:
I received the antenna from Nigeria and was only the stepper, the stepper control, RF Board and the coil. No outer case, only guts. After one year, I found a ham who had a outer case from a similar antenna which was onto a yacht. The yacht was on the bottom of Black Sea for about 3 months.
Inside the antenna, on the electronics was a little corrosion on the RF board. Everything else was OK. So, the pressure thing is not so stupid because it keeps moisture out of the antenna and if the manufacturer goes to this kind of precaution, I tell you that he is serious about quality!
i also have a 9360 radio but is not the topic here.
So, if you can, take one of these goodies!
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »

Just in case you are interested, the antenna sells new for about $1,400 plus shipping. For about the same price you could buy two HiQ 5160RT, or three High Sierra 1800S'.

After a little more checking, I find it has to be modified to work with an Icom. From what I read, you have to make a new control cable.

It is also interesting to note, that Codan says the standard fiberglass whip is very rugged, but the recommend you remove it if you're out in the boonies. It does come with a shorter SS whip, however. The power rating is just 150 watts, so any additional power is out of the question.

As I said previously, either of the aforementioned would be a better buy. If you already own the unit, it can be made to work.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Buy a Scorpion...it is a better antenna at half the price and it works too!Rick  WN2C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: