Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC fines ...  (Read 14429 times)
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »

If by freedom you mean unregulated screaming, cursing, body sounds, echo boxes, audio prosthetics for the audibly dysfunctional, utter tripe, and stupidity I'd agree.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »

Yeah, there is something to enjoy on a nightly basis.  LOL
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

If by freedom you mean unregulated screaming, cursing, body sounds, echo boxes, audio prosthetics for the audibly dysfunctional, utter tripe, and stupidity I'd agree.

Well, I think a romper room is Ok, we know boys will be boys and so is mud dunking sorta stupid, should it be outlawed. Its a question of some of us not being dead and only wishing to talk about our swollen prostate glands, titanium arms and our wives church socials.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »

Well, was working some DX on 14.315 and here comes on VE7KFM, cursing, talking about black women, foul language, playing music when not talking....even with K3VR and KZ8O not operating, this clown keeps up the crap...sorry I tuned across this loser....

I suppose Canada is a great country, judging about how they allow this nonsense to come from "my Canada". 

The use of jigaboo references used multiple times...I turned the dial....

What a sicko is about all I can say....

W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 04:33:24 AM »

Well, was working some DX on 14.315 and here comes on VE7KFM, cursing, talking about black women, foul language, playing music when not talking....even with K3VR and KZ8O not operating, this clown keeps up the crap...sorry I tuned across this loser....

I suppose Canada is a great country, judging about how they allow this nonsense to come from "my Canada". 

The use of jigaboo references used multiple times...I turned the dial....

What a sicko is about all I can say....

Exactly. The FCC can fine every US station on 14.313, but the canadian psycho will still make death threats, still attack US hams kids, and still use graphic profanity. Industry Canada has not had a single enforcement case since it took over from the DOC in 1996. The frequency is basically a trap for any US station that goes there and id's. US stations are subject to enforcement (if they id), canadians are not. That is why I left this frequency, it is a trap for any US amateur that identifies.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »

Well, I think a romper room is Ok, we know boys will be boys and so is mud dunking sorta stupid, should it be outlawed. Its a question of some of us not being dead and only wishing to talk about our swollen prostate glands, titanium arms and our wives church socials.

That is pure bullshit!! Behave like an adult. Visiting one's foul language and childish antics on another is selfish and immature. It's a matter of maturity, self respect and the respect of others. If you can't behave like an adult stay off the air!

N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »

First off "jiggaboo" is technically not obscene or indecent. It's racist and very offensive, believe me I find it offensive. As for threats, that is something of a issue right now. I don't know what the law is in Canada but here, the US Supreme Court is suppose to hear a case this fall regarding what constitutes a "real threat" or "true threat".

As for the amount regarding fines, Fines are too excessive in regards to amateur radio, and are based on what a broadcaster would have to pay if they violated the rules. Now people can prove that they don't make a lot and therefore reduce or even have the fine dropped, but it doesn't remove the fact that the FCC needs to fine hams less excessively.

Todd N9OGL
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

one more thing before I go, Obscenity, indecency and profanity rules in the amateur radio service may not hold up in court because those rules are based on "Broadcast" standards. in fact the Obscenity, indecency and profanity rules have only been up held in court in regards to broadcasting and NOT amateur radio.
Amateur radio is NOT a broadcast service, it has and always will be a point to point service (like telephone).

Todd N9OGL
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »

Actually on first offense, a warning letter goes out (Depending on the severity of offense) It is when no response happens then the office tends to get serious. If your a repeat offender they are not particularly lenient. If your the kind that  likes to jam nets, repeaters etc and fellow hams have encouraged you to stop and you don't then I think you should have a hefty fine, lose your equipment and your license. If you then come back up and start again, go to jail for 1 year minimum and no buying your way out.
Regards, Dick KH2G
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »

Behave like an adult. Visiting one's foul language and childish antics on another is selfish and immature. It's a matter of maturity, self respect and the respect of others. If you can't behave like an adult stay off the air!

Simply obey Part 97 rules (or the rules of the equivalent agencies in other countries) and observe the Amateurs' Code. Know where the lines are and not only keep from crossing them, but do your best to keep from coming close to them. Don't associate with poor amateur radio operators who break, or even bend the rules, especially those who tell you they (and you) can break the rules with impunity.

N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »

The so - called "amateur code" is not the law, nor is it enforceable. It was an idea created by a member of the ARRL back in the 1920's....and their a little outdated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:00:22 PM by N9OGL » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

"The so - called "amateur code" is not the law, nor is it enforceable"

True, but if you follow it you will go a long ways towards keeping out of trouble and making amateur radio what it should be.
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

But like I said it's also a little out dated. Let's look at it...

The Radio Amateur is:

CONSIDERATE   never knowingly operating in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

The problem with it, is it's a little vague. What someone might see as "lessen the pleasure of other, other may not. The idea is based on personal feelings and opinion, something everyone has. For example I might say something on the radio you don't like, is that lessening the pleasure of others?? because someone has a different view or opinion. Back when this was written (1928) radio was still in it infancy and radio, including amateur radio was still more about experimentation of the new medium compare to today when you have a group of individuals who sit on 80 meters talking about what they did today.

LOYAL   offering loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

First off there is NO requirement to be a member of a club or "loyal" to a club to be a ham radio operator. Nor do I think a club or so-called national organization should push this idea for the so purpose of being in a "Hobby"

PROGRESSIVE   with knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station, and operation beyond reproach.

Again back in 1928, when people built their own stations and equipment this probably held true, but not today.

FRIENDLY   with slow and patient operation when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, co-operation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

The problem with this is today, and I know hams hate to hear this...CAN'T GET ALONG!! Don't believe me?? should I mentions a number of frequencies not to mention a number of threads on various ham sites. The main reason hams can't get along is because some hams can't let things go. Good example: a number of hams talk about VE7KFM threatening to kill the US ambassador, which he did, what 10, 15 years ago, yet these hams continue to bring up that subject, why? because you all like Laura Smith said act like 5 years old.  you can't get along, you can't let stuff go, and you can't get it through your little heads that people might have a different view or opinion then you do. To be honest, I surprised ham radio has lasted this long. 

BALANCED   Radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

The problem with this, a LOT of ham (more then what you think), seem to make ham radio their life.

PATRIOTIC   with station and skill always ready for service to country and community

FUNNY, since community limit antenna height, in fact back in the 80's my home town here, they banned ham radio to the outskirts of town, because hams interfere with the cable lines. Sure, ham radio can believe the idea that their doing the service to community and country, but let's face it, neither one gives a crap about ham radio. If they did half the crap that goes on, would be going on. Case in point: hams here for years help out with weather spotting, but a few years back the city's emergency service told the hams to basically go screw yourselves and got them some funds from the state to set up their own weather spotting system, basically leaving the hams high and dry. this same town has greatly limited then antenna height...reasoning, and Sorry I don't give a crap what anyone say, an Antenna IS a vital part of a radio system I was taught  that when I went to college back in the 90's studying electronics and radio communication. But the US government and local and state government are too stupid to know that because the vast majority of them have no real technical skill in regards to radio communication.

Todd
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

People need to know if you get a NAL  and you pay the fine, you are admitting to a felony. Violation of the communication act although is a civil case it is also a felony. That also go on to say, when your license is up for renewal, it can be revoked based on your admission of violation the communication act.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 05:39:43 PM »

People need to know if you get a NAL  and you pay the fine, you are admitting to a felony. Violation of the communication act although is a civil case it is also a felony. ....
Not always true, Todd.  There you go again, spouting what you think it is.

Only some sections of the Communications Act are felonies.  Most that are misdemeanors have very small fines. RH used to complain a lot about that.  Just because ex-K1MAN went around claiming felony violations didn't make them felonies.

A person might make a cogent argument, however, that the maximum fines permissible for a misdemeanor are a lot less than what the Commission asks to settle its NAL/FO process claims.  More akin to "pay us what we ask for or you won't keep your license when it expires."

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: