Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC fines ...  (Read 13934 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 07:52:43 PM »

In fact, now that I think about it, one of the most notorious violators as of late, one Jack Gerritsen of the LA CA vicinity, was charged with only one felony and convicted of same in Federal Court for interfering with a federal station.  That is/was not a Title 47 violation, but a Title 18 violation.  All the rest were misdemeanor charges of Communications Act violations.

I'm pretty sure that the only felony in the Communications Act with any teeth is the section prohibiting intentional interference to a station in distress.  Not any others that I can recall, offhand.
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 06:59:40 AM »

The so - called "amateur code" is not the law, nor is it enforceable.

I never said that it was.

It is a guideline for how amateur radio operators should behave, with a view toward not causing each other unnecessary grief/hardship and not engaging in what is still generally considered to be poor behavior IRL as well as on-air.

(Beyond that, isn't abiding by it a term of membership in the ARRL? I won't name names, but when I think of various poor operators, quite a few of them have an Email address that ends in @arrl.org.)

It probably wasn't conceived with a view towards those people who are of such weak genetic stuff that they can find a way to be offended by such innocuous comments as, "Nice weather we're having, eh?", but with a view toward that majority of people who still, even in this day and age, understand what it means to conduct oneself as a gentleman.

Gentlemen can disagree on a subject without resorting to ad hominem attacks, defamation, creating their own versions of "The Dirty" and whatnot; they don't need an amateurs' code. It's those people described by Commission enforcement officials as, "a bunch of 5-year olds" who are more immature than kindergarteners that, despite being middle-aged (and older) men, need to be told how to behave the way most of us learned when we were, well... 5-year olds.
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

All I know it would be a very bad thing if the FCC just dropped these :

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0722/DA-14-1031A1.pdf

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0722/DA-14-1030A1.pdf

as nothing more hoaxes. It would be a bad thing, because 1. it will show the FCC will not uphold it's own NAL and fines because someone or group says it's a "hoax" and 2. it will show the FCC is NOT really interested in enforcing the amateur rules, and would set back the FCC enforcement back even more years.

TODD
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 06:58:53 AM »

All I know it would be a very bad thing if the FCC just dropped these :

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0722/DA-14-1031A1.pdf

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0722/DA-14-1030A1.pdf

as nothing more hoaxes. It would be a bad thing, because 1. it will show the FCC will not uphold it's own NAL and fines because someone or group says it's a "hoax" and 2. it will show the FCC is NOT really interested in enforcing the amateur rules, and would set back the FCC enforcement back even more years.

TODD

But, the FCC is like a bear that needs food. It sits alone, solitary until somebody offers it an incentive to " get up a growl"
You generally get their back hand when you speak out on usually one frequency, lets say 14.313 and so on.
Now, why does FCC work as if its a sleeping bear that suddenly get woken up? I don't know, except to say, its all political. The people getting the warnings are usually not public enemy number one. Its does make a press release for W5YI or W1AW though!
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 10:26:36 AM »

So, if I read the NAL letters correctly...the fines are due today?   
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »

So, if I read the NAL letters correctly...the fines are due today?   

Yeah, I'm curious of what happened. I wonder if they paid it or not...I guess we'll never know. I know Mr. Crow claims that he was set up and it was a fraudulent complaint by the Canada and according to their little website Laura Smith is helping them get out of it.

Todd N9OGL
N5SOM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »

I really do not want any more government intervention than necessary. My experience with government oversight has shown true the expression of Will Rogers.....

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

N9OGL said
"The problem with this is today, and I know hams hate to hear this...CAN'T GET ALONG!! Don't believe me?? should I mentions a number of frequencies not to mention a number of threads on various ham sites. The main reason hams can't get along is because some hams can't let things go. Good example: a number of hams talk about VE7KFM threatening to kill the US ambassador, which he did, what 10, 15 years ago, yet these hams continue to bring up that subject, why? because you all like Laura Smith said act like 5 years old.  you can't get along, you can't let stuff go, and you can't get it through your little heads that people might have a different view or opinion then you do. To be honest, I surprised ham radio has lasted this long."

I've gotten a few email regarding this comment and I think perhaps I should clarify myself. My point was simply that there are some ham operators that can't let stuff go. The problem with 14.313 and other "troubled" frequencies is that hams become so vindictive over something someone says that they hang on to it like a brick on their shoulder. This behavior over time become even more greater, thus too does their hatred of that person. After repetitively complaining to the government(s) who don't want to get involved in some petty fight, these individuals take it upon themselves to get these people off the air by continuously malicious interfering with these people, with the hope in their minds that the person will leave the air. This in term agitates the person they are trying to get off the air, to continue their behavior or worse. Again the Government will not get involved because of a petty little fight. The problem over time gets worse and worse when both or one side get more people for their cause, to either jam that person or the people they are talking to. When one or more is busted for violation of the rule they complain that they were set up or they were justified for doing what they were doing, when all that time, all they had to do was go to a different frequency and IGNORE that person.

Todd N9OGL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: