Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting car for mobile ham radio.  (Read 11049 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »

I do not know if many are aware of it but 2014 (as 2015) non turbo Chevy Malibu's have two 12 volt batteries with second one in trunk for truck mounted rigs. The second battery powers accessories when engine is off. Main battery starts engine using a new instant start dual solenoid starter.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »

That's true (depending on the accessory load), but the second battery doesn't drive the accessories directly. It uses a DC to DC converter to supply a nominal 14 volts. Like the SLI battery, it too has a Hall device on the negative lead as a measurement tool.

If you want to see how sophisticated things can be, look at Mazda's i-ELOOP system.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 01:40:29 PM by K0BG » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »

If you want to see how sophisticated things can be, look at Mazda's i-ELOOP system.

Check out a Chevy Volt if you want complicated. It has a 12 volt battery in back under floor and a 370 volt 17 kw main battery and it can power everything in car. It also has 149hp main drive electric motor and a 65 hp aux one that when engaged raises (maker taller) final drive ratio thru a planetary gear set to reduce motor RPM for best electric efficiency cruising and provides over 200hp in sport mode. All the inverters and main batteries are also liquid cooled with own cooling system.  Car tells you energy load in real time and electricity usage in tenths of a KW and gas in 1/100ths of a gallon. Car also has a 55kw generator driven by a 85hp gas motor. While Tesla has longer range on electric, the Volt will keep going when battery is discharged as long as it has gas. Given volts 17kw battery pack it could power several 12 volt rigs on field day for 24hrs with ease.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »

A bit of an update.

After speaking with my GM media contact, GM says the rear battery should not be used to power any other device, including, but not limited to, two way radio systems. Ratings wise, it is about half the size of the main SLI, and like the SLI, it is an AGM.

The battery isolator uses FETs to do the requisite switching—that's a good thing—as it provides less voltage drop.

The bad news is, both batteries need to be changed at the same time. The two together, I suspect, will be over $400.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

A bit of an update.

After speaking with my GM media contact, GM says the rear battery should not be used to power any other device, including, but not limited to, two way radio systems. Ratings wise, it is about half the size of the main SLI, and like the SLI, it is an AGM.

The battery isolator uses FETs to do the requisite switching—that's a good thing—as it provides less voltage drop.

The bad news is, both batteries need to be changed at the same time. The two together, I suspect, will be over $400.

I have seen battery and it is not small so I question your source. I will look into it furthering person. Also if you pull power of main buss from rear battery the car is not going to care. GM says otherwise because average smuck is kinda clueless on hooking up things and could screw things up. I also nix that both batteries must be changed together. It is a good way to boost revenue though. The reason the suggest both is that they feel if one fails that other one may not be far behind. The 12 volt battery in volt is a regular battery and has access ports so you can use it for jumping another car.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:33:02 PM »

You can download the owner's manual from Chevy's web site. It is a PDF, but a bit large. The battery BCI sizes are listed.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

Wow, cars are getting more complicated than airplanes.  whew.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »

Wow, cars are getting more complicated than airplanes.  whew.

Yes and they will only get even more complex.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

One hundred is the magic number for on-board CPUs everyone has been waiting for. Just this year, Mercedes Benz surpassed that, with a vehicle with 127 separate CPUs. Admittedly, most of them are PICs, but they are nonetheless processor controlled.

Just as impressive, the number of data buses is now 11. Makes one wonder whether you'll need a mechanic, or an IT person!

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

The Chevy Volt uploads performance data via satellite every time you drive it. You can review electric and fuel consumption for as long as you own it. GM uses telemetry to tweak cars software as car is totally software driven/controlled. Car will maintain cruise control speed within 1mph uphill, level or downhill due to sophistication of software control. (it well apply regenerative braking going down hill if needed)  My daughter has a Subaru that uses two cameras to watch traffic and auto apply brakes if needed. All this and more is possible because Technology is getting cheaper and faster allowing more complex algorithms to be done quicker too. Sate with new laptops and tablets.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: