Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sender sends damaged radio - Won't pay for repairs  (Read 8796 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »

Recently received a radio in perfect working order from KC2VXM, and upon receipt, found burned components on the main (control) board.  Cost over $250 to repair and found add'l damage now sending it back for additional repairs.  Have asked for the sender to cover the costs and have gotten multiple excuses, delays, stalls, and to date, over a month or more later, nada.  So be careful.  If I ever receive the amount(s) due me, will delete the posting, but not holding my breath.  Sad experience.  I am out of a nice radio and out of funds. Sad Angry
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »

You may wish to place this in the thread "Good Seller / Buyer Beware" on eHam.net

It may be more apparent to others that way.....
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »

KC2VXM:  Been weeks, still waiting for the repair reimbursement.  Oh, BTW< had to send it back into repair yet again, found additional damage in the radio that needs repair now.  Attenuator circuit has burned up resistors.  Sure was one abused, misused radio.....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »

Without calling into question the integrity of either person, something smells about this one.  No self respecting repair shop would send a radio back without checking it for problems--and do it twice.  Something just not right, unless the repair shop technician is a total hacker.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

I respect Cal a lot and the damage to the radio was due to abuse/misuse by the previous owner, as there were "repairs" done to the radio but not completed.  This latest issue was a small feature, the Attenuator that I didn't notice either, as I hadn't checked it and Cal is fixing it for free and shipping it back to me for free.  He told me that likely the damage the previous owner caused is all related to the issues the radio had when I received it.  He didn't check that function, nor did I until the other day.  It isn't something I would have used to begin with.  This radio just from the outward appearance directly reflects the abuse/misuse it got, as documented internally.  I believe Cal inadvertently didn't check this function, nor did I up front or it would have been repaired then and there the first time.  It shouldn't require any repair to start with.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »

Month later, still waiting on my money paying for the repairs....
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:23:32 AM »

IMHO unless the seller agreed to pay for repairs, the most you're really entitled to is a complete refund including shipping.  You took it upon yourself to send it into the repair shop.   

Hope it works out for you. 
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »

Actually, he told me he woudl cover it before it was repaired.  Perhaps not worded the best.  Either way, either should have taken it back or refund the repair amount. To date, NADA.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »

Recently received a radio in perfect working order from KC2VXM, and upon receipt, found burned components on the main (control) board...

I don't get this...you said it was received in perfect working order, yet you found burned up components.  Which is it? 

W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »

Did you notice the quotes...the sender told me before sending the radio was in "perfect working order".  It wasn't.  When received, it wouldn't transmit on 6 meters, no audio out, no CW, no FM.  Dead.  The Attenuator function didn't work. 

After visual inspection, found numerous components burned on the control board as stated clearly in the info presented.  Upon further inspection found additional components burned which took out the attentuator function.  Case had deep, to the bare metal scratches on the bottom of the case, the rear corner was bent in (non repairable) also not disclosed in any verbal, written or photographic description.

The sender told me via two emails that he would cover the cost of the repair.  That has been a month now.  Still waiting.

Can make it more clearer if you like....
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »

'BKR:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.  When I look at your original post, I see no quotes of any kind.  It reads exactly the way I stated.  Perhaps it displays differently in various browsers  Huh

I assume that you posted here in order to alert others of the situation, so that we may decide if we want to deal with this individual or not, and for that I am appreciative.  I was simply trying to understand the chain of events based on what was written.  Sorry if I offended you.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »

Nope, no quotes were used in original post.

p.s.  good luck collecting and I hope the radio is finally straightened out.  b.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:43:17 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »

What brand/model rig is it?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

…  upon receipt, found burned components on the main (control) board.  ….

You should have stopped at that point and documented the damage and contacted the seller before doing anything else. By sending it for repair you completely muddied the waters as far as the seller's obligations are concerned. You no longer have a claim against the seller.  You have no way to prove that it was already damaged when you received it.

Actually you probably should have asked for photos of the equipment even before agreeing to buy it, and negotiated a return policy with the seller before sending any money.

Cost over $250 to repair and found add'l damage now sending it back for additional repairs.  

Something doesn't make sense here.  So the person you paid to repair the radio didn't notice the other damage?  How did he do the repair without testing it that it worked? Why did you contract for a repair without requiring that it be evaluated first to find out what was wrong with it,  and then tested afterwards? Or did the repair person cause the new damage? I'm not following.

Have asked for the sender to cover the costs and have gotten multiple excuses, delays, stalls, and to date, over a month or more later, nada.  So be careful.  

You gave up your claim against the seller as soon as you changed the equipment by having it "repaired". Unless part of the purchase agreement that the seller would pay for any subsequent repairs?   And which cost? The cost of the first $250 repair that apparently wasn't tested? Or the cost for the new damage that was discovered after the repair? Or both costs?  Or the original cost of the radio?

Too much is not making sense here. What's the other side of the story?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:56:36 AM by NN4RH » Logged
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

FIrst off, the repair facility, like myself did not check that function.  It was sent in for repair under the approval of the sender to reimburse me as he stated.  I did have photos but the photos did NOT show the underside or the bent case in the rear.  All photos had those areas "omitted" or not shown.  The radio was stated as being in perfect working condition.  Upon receipt, it would work, only if one used the antenna tuner as the rf path without the tuner engaged, would not pass the rf out to the antenna.  In fact, ALL bands had the tuner engaged when it was initially powered up and cycled thru the bands.  Only 6 meters did not work properly as RF had been shot back into the radio and fried numerous components.  Someone during the senders possession had done repairs internal to the radio but did not complete the repairs as the burned components were still visible.  Missed by his repair facility?  Who knows.  I doubt he even knows.  Hard to say. 

He was stated repeatedly he will reimburse the initial repair cost $250 even though I have outlayed far more then that.  I am trying to work with him also but to date, haven't seen any reimbursement. 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: