Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1AW setting the standard?  (Read 5680 times)
KA1LDD

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:48:28 AM »

Over the past week or so I have been listening to W1AW operate from different locations across the country.  Time and time again I hear W1AW give the calling station a 5-9 signal report.  That is not such a bad thing, except when the calling station has to repeat itself several times or the W1AW operator actually says, "You're 5-9 Vermont, give me your state again, you're very weak".  I must assume that not only do they not believe the report they are giving, but they don't believe the one they're sending because another time I heard, "Thanks for the 5-9, how is the signal there?"  What is the whole point of the signal report if everyone is giving 5-9 each time?  I understand for this type of operation operators may not really care about what their signal report is, but then why not just not give it?  Is there some sort of FCC rule I am unaware of that requires an exchange of signal reports?  I realize this is not limited to W1AW, but rather it is seems to be an almost accepted way of operating.  It just seems to me that as W1AW, the representative station for the American Radio Relay League they should be setting the standard for good operators. 
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »

Typical contest QSO.

" You are 599 ...Give me your call again...Again?....No copy...Good Luck In The Contest ...QRZ ? "

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »

I have heard honest signal reports from many of the W1AW portables.

On Tuesday night when the new states start up and the pileups are big, honestly everyone is way above S9 :-). It's kinda fun to listen to the pileups - and when (as is usually the case) the W1AW-portable op is top-notch, it's truly a joy to listen to how he runs the pileup.
KB9UWU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »

Typical contest QSO.

" You are 599 ...Give me your call again...Again?....No copy...Good Luck In The Contest ...QRZ ? "

Most contesters don't give out 599 on SSB, nor do they say "good luck in the contest."
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:39:49 PM »

It just seems to me that as W1AW, the representative station for the American Radio Relay League they should be setting the standard for good operators. 

These ops are NOT ARRL operators. They are local radio operators, some with more experience than others, who are enjoying the opportunity to work as W1AW/portable.  Many have never been on the receiving end of a pile up.  Many are not contesters, although a lot (most?) probably are.

As with almost any DX pileup or contest exchange, they're interested in speed and accuracy IN THE EXCHANGE, not accuracy in the signal report.  There are no rules about giving inaccurate signal reports.  They are efficiently running (or trying to efficiently run) a frequency for as many contacts as possible.  If going for accurate reports, then every op could have to ask for repeats as to whether that was 55 or 59.  This way, everyone is 59 and thus the exchange is completed quickly and accurate.

Maximizing QSO rate is what it is all about.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:17:26 PM »

I heard him and he heard me no problem here ,HE said N4 gimmie the rest and I said N4MJG came told me that I'm 5 9 I told him same 5 9 he heard and I heard as I said no problem !!!

Jackie
N4MJG
KA1LDD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »

If not interested in the accuracy of the signal report, then what is the point of even giving one?  Their experience level seems irrelevant as to whether or not they should be exchanging inaccurate information in a QSO.  If the requirement for one of the ARRL awards to be valid requires them to exchange a signal report, then an accurate signal report should be the standard.  I don't remember reading anywhere about maximizing QSO rate. 
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »

The R and S in the RST is purely subjective.  Readable and extremely strong compared to what?  I choose to compare signals to the signal coming from Pioneer 10, at the end of the solar system. Compared to that, everyone is 59 or 599. 

John AF5CC
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »

I keep hearing these operators say listening up and the frequency that they are listening up on is already in a qso and has been for some time.  All they do is create QRM because they didn't check the freq they were listening on.  It has happened more than once on 40 meters. 

Rick WN2C
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »

Several months ago I gave a DX station running a pile up a 5-7 report.  It created a pause long enough to work two more stations!  I think he was looking for the "7" on his laptop keyboard! 

I had to laugh but to me a signal report is just that. 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »

Having made the mistake of giving a 479 report on a digital contact, I assure you that ALL of my reports are now a 599. 

The operator who got the 479 was incensed and told me that he DESERVED a 599 and demanded that I give it to him.  I quickly terminated the contact only later to find a series of e-mails that escalated from complaint to calling me a LID and the use of obscenities.  I blocked his email only to find out that he was willing to use throwaway e-mail accounts to continue the harassment.  ONLY when I threatened to make a formal complaint of harassment to the authorities did it stop.

SO, you are a 599
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

I`ve always thought signal reports in contests add too much to the exchange information. They should be optional. Some dx stations do give less than 5/9 reports,and that`s fine too. I`d rather know if I`m weak to a particular area,at least if it`s not because of band conditions. Sometimes I`ll work a weak station only to find they`re qrp. If I give them a 319,they might up their power enough where I can copy much better. No reason to be insulted. I think the 599 what is your call? is the result of too many people calling and not listening. It`s not because their signal is bad,it`s because of qrm.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »

It's easy when you know how the electronic logging programs work.If it's not a 5-9 report they must take time to change it so it's easier just giving a 5-9.same with many DXpeditions logs as well. Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »

Signal reports are not used in LOTW, eQSL, or almost every contest for QSO confirmation. Also a station could be 25 one minute and 59 the next.

Oops on the bold.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »

KI6LZ, you are 14 ahhhh I say again 59 plus plus plus.... ;
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: