Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new computer: should I have gotten Win8 rather than Win7?  (Read 23788 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »

To Rick kk4ggl about OpenOffice and Libre...

I'll take a look at Libre very soon.

I prefer to work with the keyboard's short-cut keys rather than the mouse.
Also, "drag-and-drop" is a keen feature.
In both cases, OpenOffice did not always mimic Excel; for me that was an issue, especially "drag-and-drop".
My work-around was cut and paste; too much hassel for me for a simple operation.
In time, I could get used to OpenOffice but not having "drag-and-drop" is significant.

MS Office has a little known gem; the F4 key is a "repeat" key, which I find very useful; I could not find a similar feature in OpenOffice.

Just to post a few follow-up comments on what I had written a couple days ago (see excerpts above):
1. I started looking at Libre today; so far, in the limited testing done by this user, I don't notice any real difference; more testing is needed.
2. I mentioned two features that were important to me. I kept searching and have found them; not quite as clean to implement as MS-Office, but I suppose I could live with OpenOffice if it were not for our granddaughter's coming here to use the computer and MS-Office for homework.

Another ham suggested to me today Mint-Mate for Linux as a replacement for MS-Office.
I'm informed that, due to a smaller overhead, Linux runs faster than a MS-operating-system.
It'll be awhile before I can try that; I have an Elecraft-KX3 that I need to put together before the warranty expires.
73 Jerry KM3K

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »

You ought to really see some of the 'informational' posts made by 'JX.  Especially those on the kind of spark plug used by Harbor Freight generators, new cars and putting ham rigs in them--and especially the Honda generator vs. the Chinese knockoffs!  AAMOF, just look at any thread started by him, and you'll see that all he wants is to argue with someone.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »

Yes I agree and for me arguing with him gets old real fast.  I can honestly say I have never met anybody like JX before.
How does a person learn anything if their mind is totally closed off to anything but their own conceived notions?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »

Well, I've taken care of him and his baloney--the 'ignore' button does come in handy!
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

Ignore is great, now if I could just get everyone else to quit replying to him I wouldn't know he existed.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

Yes I agree and for me arguing with him gets old real fast.  I can honestly say I have never met anybody like JX before.
How does a person learn anything if their mind is totally closed off to anything but their own conceived notions?

I would say you and a few others are the closed minded. You would follow the herd off a cliff. I use technology to make life easier. I use MS Office because it works well and same with outlook. IOS has always had very poor Office support. When my one daughter got her IPad she tried in vain to find a app in store to work with Office apps and even paid 20bucks for one that was not as promised. Android has better Office friendly apps and they are free and even blackberry had them. Unlike others I do not make things up but when my views do not follow those with narrow vision, they are quick to attack. Such attacks are a sign of insecurity. None of this is worth getting in a twist about but some fear what they do not understand and shoot first.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »

I would say you and a few others are the closed minded. You would follow the herd off a cliff. I use technology to make life easier. I use MS Office because it works well and same with outlook. IOS has always had very poor Office support. When my one daughter got her IPad she tried in vain to find a app in store to work with Office apps and even paid 20bucks for one that was not as promised. Android has better Office friendly apps and they are free and even blackberry had them. Unlike others I do not make things up but when my views do not follow those with narrow vision, they are quick to attack. Such attacks are a sign of insecurity. None of this is worth getting in a twist about but some fear what they do not understand and shoot first.

There are several apps that will work fine with Office docs for the iPad. I have Pages, Google Docs. There is another app, dont recall the name but it runs a "virtualized" instance of office. Bottom line you can work with Office on an iPad.

Also, I think the dependence on MS Office formats is going down. Several governments and municipalities are adopting the open document format. I think this trend will continue and "Office" type docs won't lock people into certain software someday.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »

.docx another microsoft screwup.
That caused more problems for office users during the first year it was introduced that it permanently turned many people away from office and pushed them towards open office
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »

Well, .docx may have come from Microsoft--or somewhere else--but it's become the standard now.  Just have to suffer with it, or change the default on your document program to the old standard--.doc.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »

Well, .docx may have come from Microsoft--or somewhere else--but it's become the standard now.  Just have to suffer with it, or change the default on your document program to the old standard--.doc.

The standard, only if you rely on MS Office . . .

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »

Exactly!   Most Document attachments I get are still in the Doc format.  Simple reason is that anybody can open it, while with Docx you have to have a newer version of office or a patch installed in office 2003.

I still use office 2003 and find it to be so much better than 2010 which has all these convoluted menus that are counter intuitive.   MS is always mistaking change for innovation and not realizing that sometimes you got the GUI right the first time around so don't mess with it.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »

"MS is always mistaking change for innovation and not realizing that sometimes you got the GUI right the first time around so don't mess with it."

That seems to be a fairly common issue. Programmers making changes just because they can - and not realizing how much the new learning curve affects users.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »

Exactly!   Most Document attachments I get are still in the Doc format.  Simple reason is that anybody can open it, while with Docx you have to have a newer version of office or a patch installed in office 2003.

I still use office 2003 and find it to be so much better than 2010 which has all these convoluted menus that are counter intuitive.   MS is always mistaking change for innovation and not realizing that sometimes you got the GUI right the first time around so don't mess with it.

I agree that Office 2003 is a lot less troublesome, but I stand by the idea that .docx is now an accepted standard.  So MS Office 2010 defaults to it.  It also has provisions to change the format to other standards, just as other office programs have the provisions to accept .docx.  Open Office does, and so do other word processing programs.  That's because it has lately become a standard, due to Microsoft--probably, but still a standard.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »

You old farts are so set in your ways.  I am surprised you still are not using an abacus or slide rule.   Roll Eyes
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »

Funny you should say that...

73 de Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: