Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TM-D710 and Gamin  (Read 16893 times)
ZS6XOX

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:10 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a Kenwood TM-D710. I have a Garmin GPSMap 62s I wat to hook up to the Kenwood for APRS. However I have searched a lot and found nothing. The closest I can get is this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrO8exEWG60. In this video the guy explains in detail how to hook up the cables.

I have the Garmin cable, but I do not have the cable that comes with the TM-D710 (as the guy in the video explains). I bought the Kenwood on eBay and I did not get the Kenwood cable with.

Can anyone please explain what type of cable it is and how I can get one or manufacture one?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

Danny

ZS6XOX
KD2ECF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »

Kenwood and Garmin speak different languages.

I use a translator/cable assy from Argent Data Systems with Garmin Nuvi 350.

The Nuvi 350 is an older model and there are tons of them for cheap on Ebay.

The cable is called the "Gtrans" and here is a link:  http://www.argentdata.com/products/gtrans.html

ZS6XOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:42 AM »

Hi,

I think your suggestion is the only option I have. I placed an order for the cable. Hold thumbs it works ...  Tongue

Thank You

Danny
VE7EGC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »

I have a Kenwood D710 and a Garmin GPS 62CSX. I connected mine using the diagram shown on this site, see page 2 for 60CSX. I think I connected the Garmin cable to the Kenowwd cable, but you could easliy just attach a 3 conductor plug to the Garmin cable.

http://www.wb2lua.com/papers/garmin_kenwood_pinout.pdf
K6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »

I am considering a move to a new Garmin Nuvi.  Perhaps the 2599-LMTHD.  My current GPS is the AvMap G5, but it's just too expensive to keep updated with maps and the newer G6 is too pricey for my almost-retired budget!

What can I use to make the TM-D710 talk to this newer Nuvi?  Not sure if the Argent cable will do it, or if there's a more updated replacement.

If the newer Nuvi isn't a good way to go, what would be a good (new) alternative?

Kind regards,

Michael
K6MLE
ZS6XOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »

Hi guys,

O.k I sorted it out. Here is what you need to do ...

You need a Kenwood cable with part number E30-3374-05. By the looks of it (after much reading and searching), this Kenwood cable comes with the Kenwood TH-D7's, TH-D72's and TM-D710's (It could be that this cable comes with other Kenwood radios, but I cannot say for sure). It has 3 wires, RED, WHITE and a bare (stranded) copper wire. It has a standard 2.5mm jack on one side and no plug/jack on the other side.

The Garmin Serial/Data cable part number is 010-11131-00. Just connect them as shown in the picture.

73's

Danny
AJ4EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

I am considering a move to a new Garmin Nuvi... 
I think the Nuvi 350 was often recommended because it contains a flaw that accidentally allows it to display properly.  Without that flaw (that I wouldn't expect to find on newer models) I think you see a moving contact as a string or "train" of icons, it doesn't remove the prior instances when it posts a new one.  The 350 accidentally did remove the old ones.

I have the hardware but haven't put it together yet, so I'm just going by what I read.  I also got a wider screen version of the same one, just to see if it would work too.  I haven't been in a hurry because I haven't seen much interest in APRS around here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: