Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When should we call FBI about a NET?  (Read 17592 times)
W1IT

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:52:20 AM »

We do know HR as far as the general public could be concerned is irrelevant and becomes more so with every day. And, we know shortwave listeners on HR may be there from time to time, but they do not listen in a regular way. ( See Web sites devoted to world wide SW listeners)

Yet, what would you do about a group of gun freaked, Obama hating red necks, who on occasion banter they hate blacks, Jews, liberals and even go so far as veiled threats to " take a trip to Washington"... well, we know they hate Obama and are gun happy Red Necks.

So do you just walk by the frequency, caution them about threats, argue with them (that's worthless", call FBI, Secret Service.. record their threats?? Its seems to me 3.860 is the most worthless, useless bunch of cretins with guns in one hand and a HR mich in the other. But, nobody has reported them as a threat?

So exactly who are the Patriots?? -- Its not a FootBall Team...
 Cool
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »

There is a saying, "Talk is cheap."  I think that that applies here.  Also the first amendment concerning freedom of speech.  Although the current administration is trying it's darndest to silence some people who spout such rubbish, it is their right to say what's on their mind.  And threats are just that--threats.

Now, if they started to plan out an actual trip or other activities over the air, that would be a different story....    73.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »

Yes, definitely you should call the FBI.

Let us know what they say, okay?
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »

Call the FBI or Secret Service (for elected federal officials) if a person or group actually communicates a threat of violence, especially if they are discussing plans such as how, when, where.  If they are just joking or saying they "wish someone would" type of thing, you don't need call, but can if it is making you nervous.  You can also report any planning of any illegal activity.  Reporting admission to having done an illegal activity may be a little more touchy, but if it is a violent crime, better to be safe and report it. 

KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »

And threats are just that--threats.

Yes, and if what he heard was in fact a threat, it's illegal.

The first amendment protects you from the government hindering your speech...but it's a limit. There are many things you cannot say, and the "Constitutional Law 101" analogy is that of yelling "fire" in a packed movie theater.

It's one thing to disagree with the policies and views of a person or group of people, it's a different thing to say you want to wipe them from the face of the planet because of those differences...and even more of an extreme to insist you actually will...

I hope the OP makes the right decision.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »

I suggest you not listen to 3860. Let it go.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

I suggest you not listen to 3860. Let it go.

If I heard it and thought it a threat I would report it. It is not about the man in office but the office itself. This is not about politics or policy, you threaten the man you are threatening office too and that is a very stupid thing to do publicly. Free speech covers disagreeing not threatening.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Embarrassed
Call the FBI or Secret Service (for elected federal officials) if a person or group actually communicates a threat of violence, especially if they are discussing plans such as how, when, where. 

My problem, they are smart enough to have just one guy claim he's on his way, maybe two, now that I recall.
The call it, " A road Trip"
So, I'm not certain how does one know when a threat is just a paper airplane. Even a paper airplane launched at the President would be a big deal!

So what I'm saying who is the Patriot here, them or me. I admit I didn't report anything.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

Embarrassed
Call the FBI or Secret Service (for elected federal officials) if a person or group actually communicates a threat of violence, especially if they are discussing plans such as how, when, where. 

My problem, they are smart enough to have just one guy claim he's on his way, maybe two, now that I recall.
So, I'm not certain how does one know when a threat is just a paper airplane. Even a paper airplane launched at the President would be a big deal!

So what I'm saying who is the Patriot here, them or me. I admit I didn't report anything.

That is not for you to decide. If you hear a threat, report it and let the proper authorities sort it out and decide if it is garbage or the real thing. IMHO threatening anyone is an act of cowardice. I can't for the life of me see how threatening anyone is Patrioitic. It sounds like it is just a bunch of men with small minds and even smaller genitalia behaving like children with nothing better to do than show the world how immature they are, but you never know what these mental midgets will do.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »

That's all fine domestically. What about when you hear a possibly terrorist or possibly 'legitimate military' in a ham band (not that there can EVER be a legitimate military operation in a Primary ham band except in distress)?
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »

Embarrassed

That is not for you to decide. If you hear a threat, report it and let the proper authorities sort it out and decide if it is garbage or the real thing. IMHO threatening anyone is an act of cowardice. I can't for the life of me see how threatening anyone is Patrioitic. It sounds like it is just a bunch of men with small minds and even smaller genitalia behaving like children with nothing better to do than show the world how immature they are, but you never know what these mental midgets will do.

You are correct and that is what was taught to folks in the military -- let the FBI or USSS sort it out. 
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 05:52:34 AM »

That's all fine domestically. What about when you hear a possibly terrorist or possibly 'legitimate military' in a ham band (not that there can EVER be a legitimate military operation in a Primary ham band except in distress)?

The response should be no different from what I mentioned in Post #8.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 06:22:38 AM »

I thought that a threat to kill the US President (even if made in jest) was an offence in the USA?

Peter DL8OV
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »

I think W1IT is getting the idea that he's in the middle of something big.  Even he wrote that they're making "veiled threats."  Let it go, IT.  Those morons are all talk.  It's like the old saying about people who call in bomb threats... callers don't bomb and bombers don't call.  3860 is just the same DNA strain as 14313, just a different topic.   They're getting an empowerment rush  knowing guys like the OP are listening and reacting.  Spin the dial, W1IT.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:18:14 AM »

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that DHS is well aware of the 'discussions'.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: