Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When should we call FBI about a NET?  (Read 10325 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:27:27 AM »

And threats are just that--threats.

Yes, and if what he heard was in fact a threat, it's illegal.

The first amendment protects you from the government hindering your speech...but it's a limit. There are many things you cannot say, and the "Constitutional Law 101" analogy is that of yelling "fire" in a packed movie theater.

It's one thing to disagree with the policies and views of a person or group of people, it's a different thing to say you want to wipe them from the face of the planet because of those differences...and even more of an extreme to insist you actually will...

I hope the OP makes the right decision.

There are threats made each and every day to elected officials.  Just saying "Someone ought to..." in itself is a threat, but it's not something that the FBI wants to know about--or they would be buried in such reports!  On the other hand, hearing "We're going to..." even without specifics could be something they may want to check out--but it's doubtful. 

Just remember this--there were threats made in advance of 9-11 too, but the FBI discounted them.  Do you really think they're going to pay attention to a few nutcases who like to shoot their mouths off?
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 07:41:57 AM »

And threats are just that--threats.

Yes, and if what he heard was in fact a threat, it's illegal.

The first amendment protects you from the government hindering your speech...but it's a limit. There are many things you cannot say, and the "Constitutional Law 101" analogy is that of yelling "fire" in a packed movie theater.

It's one thing to disagree with the policies and views of a person or group of people, it's a different thing to say you want to wipe them from the face of the planet because of those differences...and even more of an extreme to insist you actually will...

I hope the OP makes the right decision.

There are threats made each and every day to elected officials.  Just saying "Someone ought to..." in itself is a threat, but it's not something that the FBI wants to know about--or they would be buried in such reports!  On the other hand, hearing "We're going to..." even without specifics could be something they may want to check out--but it's doubtful. 

Just remember this--there were threats made in advance of 9-11 too, but the FBI discounted them.  Do you really think they're going to pay attention to a few nutcases who like to shoot their mouths off?

While most of what you say is true, if I heard something and didn't report it because I thought no one would do anything about it, and something horrible happened I don't think I would ever be able to look myself in the mirror again.

W1IT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

While most of what you say is true, if I heard something and didn't report it because I thought no one would do anything about it, and something horrible happened I don't think I would ever be able to look myself in the mirror again.
[/quote]

True, but here is my point. If a neighbor or even your own child said, " I intend to kill YOU", how could you NOT take it seriously?  Most threat are no where near that blunt or direct. Like these Cretins, the talk about keeping their powered dry buying more magazines, with the full metal jackets. Then say, " I will be taking a road trip to.. Washington.. or whatever, and you know what they mean. Now, Ok they may be nut queens, but isn't that who does this kind of thing?

So, who am I to laugh it off or who am I to call FBI. The minute you report these things, you do become suspect. That's why many people fail to call police or want to get involved.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »

Those clowns in Washington won't do anything about it until something really happens just like the 911 situation.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

law enforcement continues to stand by, "see something... say something."  the beer talking through those buffoons may not mean anything, but sooner or later a less than rational person will take that nonsense to heart.  freedom of speech is not absolute, incitement to riot varies from misdemeanor to felony depending on the jurisdiction and temper of the times.
N9OGL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

I thought that a threat to kill the US President (even if made in jest) was an offence in the USA?

Peter DL8OV

18 USC 871, well most of 18 USC chapter 41

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-41

Todd N9OGL
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »

Those clowns in Washington won't do anything about it until something really happens just like the 911 situation.

They have actually foiled a number of terror potential attacks since 9/11. Are you going to deny that because it bolsters your argument?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

There is that, and I can agree with it.  However, as I said, if you hear particulars of a planned "terrorist" event that resulted in catastrophe, you should report it.  If you hear vague ramblings of how someone ought to do something, how are you going to definitively connect it to some event that happens in the future so you can blame yourself?  

As I said, if you hear something conclusive, it should be reported.  Vague threats shouldn't be--most of the time.  73.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »

True, but here is my point. If a neighbor or even your own child said, " I intend to kill YOU", how could you NOT take it seriously?  Most threat are no where near that blunt or direct. Like these Cretins, the talk about keeping their powered dry buying more magazines, with the full metal jackets. Then say, " I will be taking a road trip to.. Washington.. or whatever, and you know what they mean. Now, Ok they may be nut queens, but isn't that who does this kind of thing?

So, who am I to laugh it off or who am I to call FBI. The minute you report these things, you do become suspect. That's why many people fail to call police or want to get involved.

You want to equate a threat against yourself from a friend or family member to threats made against public figures by some disgruntled person in Timbuctoo?  That right there is a big, BIG difference.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »

New Scotland Yard refer to the FBI as being an acronym for 'Famous But Incompetent'. Quite possibly true, but the Metropolitan Police are hardly in a position to criticise, bearing in mind the number of their foul ups.....
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »

Again, the general rule is to report anything that is not obviously a joke/wishful musing.  The FBI and USSS prefer that you report it and let them decide if it is serious.  

If a person or group actually communicates a threat of violence, especially if they are discussing plans such as how, when, or where, REPORT IT, even if they "talk around" details.  

If it makes you nervous, REPORT IT.  

The minute you report these things, you do become suspect.

No, you do not.  The only time you might become suspect is if you repeatedly engage in false reporting.  In fact in many cases you can report anonymously.  
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »

My suggestion is to record the conversations and if anything like that happens again burn that conversation to disk and mail it to the FBI with a letter containing all the info you know and at what time point on the disk the threats are made. Let the FBI decide if it's worth investigating.

I am pretty sure that at some point Timothy mcveigh was just shooting off his mouth and no one listening to his rants thought he was serious.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:42:06 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »

In my area the FBI stands for the Farmington Blooming Idiots. But its just a local thing between a couple of small towns.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »

This discussion doesn't need to exist.
Any person on the internet that has the comprehension and presence of mind to pass a radio written examination KNOWS what they need to do and WHEN they need to do it.  No one needs to be told when or how to act.
This whole topic is just blowing smoke.
Use the common sense God gave you, no matter how miniscule that may seem, and act with integrity.  That's the ONLY answer you should need.
Tom
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »

They have actually foiled a number of terror potential attacks since 9/11. Are you going to deny that because it bolsters your argument?

The U.S. government often manufactures and creates the alleged “terrorism threats” it purports to be fighting, in some cases even prodding mentally challenged dupes into bogus “plots” that authorities concocted in the first place, according to a newly released report highlighting the troubling practices. Perhaps the most outrageous finding: Almost every high-profile domestic terror case across America since the September 11 attacks featured the “direct involvement” of government agents or informants. In some cases, virtually the entire “terrorism” plot — from start to finish — was actually led and financed by government operatives.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/18797-feds-often-create-terror-threats-study-finds

cough

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: