Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Michael Watkins KL0GO -- He took my $$ and ran  (Read 7361 times)
KW4CQ

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »

I responded to his ad on QTH.com offering to sell a Yaesu Mast Clamp for a Yaesu Rotator for $20.00.  As he requested, I sent him $20.00 by PayPal on 7/28/2014 for the item including shipping.  The first PayPal account address he gave me (yahechina4.com) was not a valid one and subsequently, after my inquiry, he sent me another one.  I cancelled the payment to the first ID and resent it to the revised ID (yahechina1234.com which is allegedly registered to a Zhu Yudan) at PayPal.  He acknowledged receiving that one.  After waiting about two weeks and not receiving the item I paid for I sent he another email inquiring about the shipping status of the item and asking him for a tracking number.   He answered by giving referring me to a bogus web site where I should enter my email address and password.  Several emails to this individual have gone unanswered.  I lost $20.00, no big deal.  It just P.M.O. what people will do to scam you out of a few bucks these days.  Oh, by the way.  PayPal would not cover my loss since I sent this guy the $20.00 as a "funds transfer" rather than a "merchandise purchase".  My mistake.  Lesson learned about PayPal.

PLEASE NOTE: After all this, I later discovered that this person used a fake name and the call sign of another ham to pull this off.  My sincere apologies to the real KL7GO. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:57:13 AM by KW4CQ » Logged
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

I responded to his ad on QTH.com offering to sell a Yaesu Mast Clamp for a Yaesu Rotator for $20.00.  As he requested, I sent him $20.00 by PayPal on 7/28/2014 for the item including shipping.  The first PayPal account address he gave me (yahechina4.com) was not a valid one and subsequently, after my inquiry, he sent me another one.  I cancelled the payment to the first ID and resent it to the revised ID (yahechina1234.com which is allegedly registered to a Zhu Yudan) at PayPal.  He acknowledged receiving that one.  After waiting about two weeks and not receiving the item I paid for I sent he another email inquiring about the shipping status of the item and asking him for a tracking number.   He answered by giving referring me to a bogus web site where I should enter my email address and password.  Several emails to this individual have gone unanswered.  I lost $20.00, no big deal.  It just P.M.O. what people will do to scam you out of a few bucks these days.  Oh, by the way.  PayPal would not cover my loss since I sent this guy the $20.00 as a "funds transfer" rather than a "merchandise purchase".  My mistake.  Lesson learned about PayPal.

PLEASE NOTE: After all this, I later discovered that this person used a fake name and the call sign of another ham to pull this off.  My sincere apologies to the real KL7GO. 

Sorry, typo correction:  NOT KL7GO but KL0GO was the call sign he used.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »

Another red flag was when you sent the money, and the name was not identical to the holder of the callsign. When that occurred, you should have immediately canceled the payment.

As you mentioned, in the future, always send the money as a purchase and not a funds transfer. The difference is the seller pays transaction fees. That fact is often used by a scam "seller" as an excuse to make the buyer use funds transfer; the caveat is (as you know), loss of purchase protection (as a note, they'll only recover money if there's is a positive balance in the paypal account).

I also checked yahechina1234.com, it is not a registered domain name. So, what occurred here is the scammer registered a domain for a temporary time and setup email, created the paypal account then canceled the domain registration, this is called "Domain Tasting..."

basically...the scammer is an e-ghost.

Prior to checking the domain, I was going to say "Zhu Yudan" may be a 3rd party victim; but given the email address is totally invalid, it seems that is probably the scammer's name (or at least the name used on paypal).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:36:25 AM by KB3VWG » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »

I am a big proponent of PayPal, but NEVER send PayPal payments as a funds transfer, gift or any other method other than for merchandise.  PERIOD.  You might as well stick money in an envelope and send it.
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:44:17 AM »

Absolutely correct gentlemen.  Take me to the woodshed.   Cry
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

You really ought to beg the moderator to remove the entire post before he owns you. Libel laws mean anything to you? You didn't send him any money so how did he cheat you?
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

You really ought to beg the moderator to remove the entire post before he owns you. Libel laws mean anything to you? You didn't send him any money so how did he cheat you?

Give me a break...... Embarrassed Embarrassed

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but it's obvious when reading the OP that the scammer merely claimed to be the ham in question...it's a common scam.

Also, it's technically impossible (from the OP's viewpoint) to know if he did or did not send money to the real ham...that's actually the point of this particular con scam. At any rate, the scammer used that call sign - perhaps so he could claim shipping would take a long time...who knows...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: