Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speach and learning disabilties  (Read 6498 times)
KD2ERR

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »

I have a 10 year old step grandson with learning disabilities. Where can I find books and information to help him get his tech license. He has a real interest in amateur radio.

73 KD2ERR
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »

i recommend www.hamtestonline.com

you can try if for free and see if it looks good for his situation.  (i like books, but for me this site was a far easier way to study for the Extra than books or memorization, and i suspect it might be even better for your step grandson in his quest to get the Tech license).

remember too -- if you like it and purchase the subscription you won't have to buy any other study materials.

hope to see him licensed some day,

Rob K9AIM
KD2ERR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »

Ok thanks .I'll check it out
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:36:10 PM »

I will second Hamtestonline I got my Tech., General and am working on my Extra using them
KA1TY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »

I have a 10 year old step grandson with learning disabilities. Where can I find books and information to help him get his tech license. He has a real interest in amateur radio.

73 KD2ERR

Ham Test Online is very good. I used the ARRL book for General, and got about 50% of the way thru HTO's Extra. I passed both tests in one day. Smiley

What might help us is if we knew what issues your grandson faces?

Also, if he has speech issues, he may end up loving CW & digital modes. No stuttering (I hate when my stutter kicks up, and mine is very mild), or other issues. Smiley
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »

Have you contacted Handiham

http://www.handiham.org/drupal2/

This is what they say

"Our Mission

The Courage Kenny Handiham Program provides tools for people with disabilities to learn Amateur Radio and technology skills, and to earn their Amateur Radio licenses......"

They may be able to point you in the right direction.

73 Mark N1UK
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »

The type of "learning disability" will dictate the method of learning your grandson will need.

I have a learning disability.  If I'm told to do two or three things, by the time I hear the third, I've forgotten the first.  I didn't recognize this problem until I was 18 years old, thinking all this time I was simply stupid!

With that said, some learn by reading in books, some has to be instructed (told) or shown.  Usually it's a repetitive process and in every case patience must be shown. 

Along with the information being taught, determination must also be taught.  That was the key factor that helped me.  When I found that I wasn't stupid, I then developed the determination to learn and the understanding that if I put in the time and effort I could learn and learn well.  The key phrase that pushed me was, "Failure is not an option!"

In my case I found that I could read and learn.  I learned very little by verbal  instruction.  With reading I could go over it as many times as necessary and then later, if necessary, go back a review.

Later in life I found myself being asked to train others at the two power plants where I worked.  I like to think I was asked to do this because when I did learn, I learned well, learning the subject well beyond what was necessary to do the job.  I also was patient with each person, repeating as necessary without showing disgust or impatience.  If impatience or disgust is displayed, many times it creates a defeatist attitude.  I guess the greatest compliments I received during those years was, "I'd like to train with Al." 

I trained several who simply couldn't learn from a manual or instructions sheets.  However, if I explained to them the process, they understood and retained the information and became very good at their job.

You should determine first of all if your grandson has any interest at all in the hobby.  Then determine how he learns best.....reading or verbal instruction.  Then he should be encouraged determination and the fact instilled in him that he CAN learn it.  Most of all you both must have the patience for this endeavor.  Good luck.

KC7BYP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »

Dave please tell your grandson that he is not alone.  I have an ABI  (acquired brain injury) from birth (lack of oxygen to the brain). And I have dyslexia.  All of which is controlled by training and years of doing things the right way.   I also have Not only passed my novice test and got my 1st license back in 1987, KB6YIG, when there wasn't any handicap wavers for the morse code or the written test. I hold a general class license, KC7BYP now.  I also hold an AA degree in Electronics, 2 way radio, tv, vcr and computer repair.  I held a CDL (Commercial Driver License) and drove trucks for a living while going to electronics school at night. If anyone ever tells your grandson he is too stupid to learn Amateur Radio or anything else he wants to do. Remind your grandson about me. I got told those words "YOUR TOO STUPID". Please keep me informed about how he is doing.  My info is up to date at QRZ.COM.

73 KD2ERR

KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »

David, if your grandson requires any special accommodations while taking the test, call your local VE team in advance to discuss what can be arranged.  According to 97.509, "The administering VEs must accommodate an examinee whose physical disabilities require a special examination procedure. The administering VEs may require a physician's certification indicating the nature of the disability before determining which, if any, special procedures must be used."

Our local VE group has done this a number of times, with accommodations that include providing a magnifying glass, providing a test in Braille, reading questions to the candidate, or even holding a special test session for a candidate with mobility issues.  As far as I know, we've never asked for a physician's certification, but other groups might.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: