Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Para dynamics PDC 600 calibration  (Read 2346 times)
KB7ZAR

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »

Does anyone know where one can get my PDC 600 calibrated/repaired it seems the power and mod
Meter seem ok but wondering if the swr meter is working correctly I have a brand-new Larson antenna when installed the technicians meter showed that it had good low swr (installed about three weeks ago) but I hooked my radio up in line with this PDC 600 and the meter pegs out the swr yes.  At this time my radio is powered through the cigarette lighter port the chassis of the radio is not grounded to the chassis of the truck (just sitting on my seat temporarily) could that throw off the swr readings? I do plan on running the power cord to the battery and negative wire grounding it to the chassis of the vehicle. But if after running the power cord this way and I still get a high SWR I'm wondering if the meter may need to be calibrated or repaired.

73's kb7zar
4X1SO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:38:56 AM »

Hi Ed,
You didn't say what frequency the Larsen antenna was designed for. It looks like the PDC 600 is designed for use around 25 to 30 MHz. If the Larsen is a 10 meter antenna you may have a reason to be concerned about the accuracy of the PDC 600.
If the antenna is outside of the frequency range of the meter you will probably not get very accurate readings for SWR. Just a thought.
                       Shalom from Jerusalem,
                       Kal  4X1SO
KB7ZAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:43 AM »

Sorry this antenna is for 11 meter
KB7ZAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:43:42 AM »

Now I have routed the from the battery through the fire wall to inside the cab.
I recheck swr with the PDC 600 and it still pegs out. So I guess next is to recheck antenna swr by going back to where I had it installed to make sure that that hasn't change which I doubt. Which will leave me with the meter being out of calibration and having to get it fixed I have been on four different forums and it seem nobody know anyone or any place that can fix it, I even emailed a place I won't name but they at this time don't repair them and didn't give any suggestions where I could get it repaired. I was thinking that this was going to be easier than this to get fixed.

73's KB7ZAR
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:28:49 AM »

Since   swr  meters are fairly generic and  schematics abound  ..
Fix it yourself..  its not a complicated device.
Most likely problem is  blown diode.
Basic  SWR meter is  a pickup line(non active part),  2 diodes and a switch and meter.
How hard can it be??
I suppose a bad switch  would show  forward power  in  either position.

Also, just  hook up the meter backwards and put switch in forward power  positon and see ifit works that way. (reverse the input and output).

KB7ZAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »

If it had a blown diode would it not work at all? because that would Break the circuit. And looking around all I've found is an owners manual no schematic doesn't mean there's not one out there I  I just haven't found it yet.
KB7ZAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »

Well I went back to the dealer who installed my antenna and they put their analyzer to it and yes indeed it's the antenna not my meter that is bad so now I got to deal with returning my antenna coil to Larson hopefully it'll be covered under warranty could have it ran into anything or haven't crashed against anything so at least it looks like meters okay but the brand-new antennas is  bad.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »

what would be interestng to know is , where did the installer  "test " the antenna??
at the antenna   base  or at the  radio end of the coax.
Because if they checked it at the radio end of the coax, then it might be  a bad installation, shorted coax or open coax and not the antenna it self.
future info  when the new antenna comes willbe interesting.

And if the diode shorted, then the meter might  peg.
I suspect the circuit for that  meter and the one in any  handbook and a dozen other sources is the same basic  meter circuit.
Plus its so simple it can just be  hand drawn  fromthe meter  it self.
KB7ZAR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »

First he checked it at the end of the coax where it plugs into the radio got a bad reading there so we took the coil off the top of the truck off and did a test on that showing that the coil was bad. So I went ahead and bought a new coil and everything's fine now. Waiting to hear back from the place I bought the original coil from to see if I can get it replaced via warranty which I would think so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: