Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio at Disneyland  (Read 1003 times)
K6MIB

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:48 PM »

Although there seems to be a run out thread about this it was really just two peoples experiences.  I was wondering how many people:
A. Get into the park without staff even knowing they have a radio
B. Get into the park when staff knows they have a radio before entering
C. Operates a hand held 2m or 440 radio in the park and does that cause any staff or security contact?
D. Been told you can not have or use your ham radio in the park?

I have had mixed experiences.  I usually get through the bag check "security" with my radio under my shirt, no "concealing" I just normally wear an untucked shirt and it covers my radio, cell phone, and whatever else might be on my belt, and the bag checker don't even notice.  I have been asked one time "what is under your shirt?" and I raised my shirt and said "just my radio and cell phone" and the nice lady passed me through.

In the park I only use my radio occasionally to either regroup with our party or converse briefly with friends outside the park while I stand in line and watch everyone else ignore the people they are with and play on their dumb phones.  I have never been approached by staff while operating in this manner.

Twice I have used an earpiece because I did not want to miss the call of people who were meeting us in the park later.  As I said before I generally don't need to have my ear to the radio, but on these two occasions I did not want to miss the call.  One day going about our enjoyment of the park with my acoustic tube earpiece no problem.  On another day, and I guess "some" of you could say I caused this by asking a staff person when the closed ride might be open again.. as I walked away he was screaming down from the upper line area of space mountain to the staff below that I had an earpiece.. OMG i have a clear tube earpiece, ya know like a lot of people with hearing aides.  Anyway I walked away and was not chased down by staff or security. 

I have called Dland (as was alleged by another poster here) to ask about the disneyland 2 meter repeater. The freq I had programmed in my HT long ago was not bringing up the repeater and I was not near the outernet to google it.  I asked "if the disneyland 2 meter ham radio repeater was still functioning and if so what was the frequency"  the nice lady put me on hold for about 10 minutes while she "checked with security".  She came back on the line and advised that there was no disneyland ham repeater and per security if there was one the frequency would be confidential.  Satisfied that neither Dland staff and especially their security have any clue at all about ham radio I thanked her for her time and hung up.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »

After reading this post and all of the previous posts on the same subject, I find it absolutely ridiculous that there'e even a question at all!

Has anyone stopped and watched the iPhone Zombies walk around, ride the subway or bus or just setting in a beautiful park?  How about a doctor's waiting room?  Hospital?  

It's as if these people have eczema on one hand and they're constantly digging at it with the other!  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:25:55 PM by K8AXW » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: