The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng GT-3 AA Battery Mod  (Read 18194 times)
VK3FORK

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:04 PM »

Im back :  Baofeng GT-3 AA battery mod ..

I really like the ability to run AA batteries on my handhelds , does away with factory battery dependency ( Factory batteries often being over priced , in my opinion )
What you need is a Baofeng AA battery adapter/pack for the UV-5r , a motor tool , and a little patience fitting things together . 

Where I started was grinding down the sides of the AA pack , keep it even and aim for a nice firm fit ( avoid slop ) , this is to avoid removing too much material which might weaken the pack or leave you with a slop fit .

Once the battery pack fits into the GT-3 body ( side fit ) , you have to start looking at the clearances for the body .
There are some little tabs on top of the battery pack , these can be removed ( look at the pictures ) , as well I too a little of the top edge of the battery ..

Where it gets tricky : 

Is fitting the back of the radio .. There are some small tabs built into the rear of the body that fit the small slots in the battery pack ..
The GT-3 is sufficiently different from the UV-5r that some serious work will be needed here .

If you compare the stock pack to the modified one , you will see a raised part on the stock battery .. ( main body just under the print )
You need to flatten this or the tabs on the body will be too high when you push the battery in .
The other thing is clearing the body at the rear as well ..
You will need a keen eye , to see whats stopping the battery pack from clicking / locking into place .. 
Be sure to remove enough material from the inside of the slots for the tabs , or it will bind ..

Any questions ?  Feel free to ask ..
PS /  once the battery pack is fitted to the body , it runs brilliantly ( Use Nihm batteries , they will closely match the Li-ion fact voltage ) I have Eneloops in this one ...   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:51:10 PM by VK3FORK » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: