Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial vs USB Port  (Read 953 times)
KF7IS

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2002, 06:18:38 PM »

What to do?  Most new computers and most all laptops are lacking serial ports.  The new compiters have instead USB ports.  To use TNCs, Interfaces, and the like, could it be as easy as purchasing an adapter (usb to serial) cable.  Sounds too easy.  Anyone been down this path?    Jim
KC8RWD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 06:59:12 PM »

for my laptop I had to buy a serial port hub, then it did not work with my radio until I found updated drivers on the web from the manufacturer. Good Luck!
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 08:41:11 PM »

Hi: There are several sources for standalone serial cards for PCs as well as USB to serial adapters. The first place I would look would be www.tigerdirect.com. Or www.computergate.com.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 09:14:46 PM »

Beware of Belkin, purchased a USB to serial adapter, installed the most recent software driver for the adapter, the adapter goes to sleep after a while.  The Belkin support said I needed a new motherboard, I just updated my motherboard a few months ago, so I am left with a sleepy adapter.  The store I purchased the motherboard and USB to serial adapter claimed it is the fault of the Belkin drivers.  I have one serial port that works for keying the rig for digital modes. Could use another serial port for CAT control.

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2002, 04:33:55 PM »

Beware of Belkin?  Coincidence?  What a timely post.  I recently upgraded my shack computer and it (like most) came with just one serial port.  I needed two, so I purchased a Belkin USB/serial adapter, also downloaded the latest drivers from the Belkin web site.  I started using the adapter with my RIGBlaster and the rig started doing goofy things.  I have wrestled with the rig, the RIGBlaster and the computer without ever suspecting the Belkin adapter.  Thanks for mentioning that.  I guess I have a project for this weekend.  73,  Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: