Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRSPoint to OziExplorer  (Read 1098 times)
KC2GUI

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2005, 05:14:30 AM »

The situation: Tracking approximately 20 Manned Gas Balloons flying out of ABQ in early October. Each balloon will carry a APRS tracking device. I plan to track them in one of the chase vehicles.

I will be using standard setup - my D700 - driving APRSPoint. This will allow me to see all the balloons and find the best routes to drive in order to keep up with the balloon we will be chasing. I will be able to advise my pilot of his progress relative to all the other balloons in the competition. For archival reasons I would like to plot our balloons track on Aviation Sectionals (I have a DVD with all of them). Since they are GeoTiffs they are easily imported into OziExplorer. I would like to be able to place our balloon's track onto the appropriate Sectional using Ozi.

How can I get the APRS data going to APRSPoint ino Ozi? If the position/time data was available from APRSPoint, I could easily write an app using the Ozi APIs and plop the points onto the Sectional. Can this be done. The creator of APRSPoint does not answer his email. I did send him this question.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Vic Fraenckel
KC2GUI
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:58:32 AM »

I am assuming that each Balloon has a licensed, Amateur Radio operator aboard, to act as Control Operator?

Dennis KG4RUL
KC2GUI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 06:13:13 AM »

KG4RUL wrote:
>I am assuming that each Balloon has a licensed, Amateur >Radio operator aboard, to act as Control Operator?

Of course! However, I'm not sure how this issue is germain to the question I posed.

Any APRSPoint users out there? With ideas on how to solve my delimma. Michael Cai, the creator of AP does not answer his e-mail. I have queried him with my question.

Vic
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:16:08 AM »

The reason I bring up the control operator issue is that some hams believe that it is OK to install an APRS tracker in a vehicle and forget about it.  When I inquired of Riley Hollingsworth whether this practice is ok, he replied that a control operator is required and there are no exceptions for APRS.

I am glad to hear that you are following the rules, as we all should.

As for as your interface problems, if the author is incommunicado, you may have a tough row to hoe.

Dennis KG4RUL
WM5Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 04:24:01 PM »

There is a program that does exactly what you want to do. It is called xastir. You could set up all the trackers on the map(s) with tactical calls even.

Check out http://www.xastir.org/ for more info. No, I do not have anything to do with the project other than a very satisfied user.

Steve/WM5Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: