Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking family members  (Read 1652 times)
NI9N

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2005, 06:54:52 AM »

My soon-to-be wife would like to have her car equipped with an APRS tracker as a safety feature.  I'm also interested in equipping the car to be driven by my teenage kids with one.  Do they need to be licensed for this to be legal?
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

I should think so, unless you're going to
put a control rig in there (222 MHZ or higher).

Not a big problem, but would require another
antenna (well, if you did it on band with
an antenna that covers both the APRS band and
the control band and diplexer you could use
one antenna), radio and controller.

73 de Ronnie

YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:16:55 AM »

That's a good question. I've also thought about the same thing for my wife's car but my interpretation of it was that she would need to be licensed unless I was physically in the car with her, which I would not be the majority of the time.

I believe this situation would require the individual to have a valid amateur license in order to be legal.

Mike
KI4KKD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 05:18:52 AM »

Why would this be different from the APRS signals that are used to track amateur balloon flights? If it is legal to put a radio on a pilotless balloon, is the difference that there is someone onboard the car?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:27:29 AM »

How about the situation where you are in the vehicle but get out to have lunch some where. Should the APRS station be shut down because at that point there is no control operator unless you take an HT with you to monitor.

When you are in the vehicle there is a control operator present, but are you monitoring your equipment to ensure that it is working correctly?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:53:21 AM »

Here is the most definitive answer that I can get:

==============
Date: Monday, June 27, 2005 08:40
To: KG4RUL - Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Control Operator Question

All I can say is that ALL Amateur stations must have a control operator, and there are no exceptions for APRS.

*** Non-Public: For Internal Use Only ***

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:22 AM
To: Riley Hollingsworth
Subject: Control Operator Question

The following thread, from the eHam website, brings up some interesting points regarding 'Control Operators' and APRS operations.  Could you comment?

http://www.eham.net/forums/APRS/978

Dennis Zabawa  KG4RUL
Webmaster, Linear Lines Editor, Public Information Officer
Trident Amateur Radio Club (TARC)
Charleston, SC
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:42:40 PM »

Hi Dennis,

It looks as if RH agrees with my prior post
(second in the thread).  Thanks for getting
the back up.

73 de Ronnie

KI4KKD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 06:39:00 AM »

I appreciate the follow up as well. Thanks.

It does seem to say, however, that every balloon flight with an APRS tracker is breaking the rules. I'm having trouble with that one.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 06:47:38 AM »

Control doesn't necessarily mean that
an op is at the control point.  Wired
and wireless (above 222 MHz) also
counts as control.  Do you know that
these ballons are not wireless controlled?

73 de Ronnie

KI4KKD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 07:05:45 AM »

Good point.

At least one of the groups uses a PocketTracker which has no provision for remote control. However, that doesn't mean they couldn't have a control channel on their system board that could be commanded to cut power to the unit.

I haven't seen any reference to this but I'll look a little more carefully and see what I can find out.
N5JYZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 05:59:41 PM »

If a ham makes the installation and is the control operator of that station an digital station including APRS fall under 97.221(c).

The bandwidth may not exceed 500 Hz so that exclude phone and limits it to the bandwidth that APRS would generate. So anyone may opeate this mobile APRS station with it left unattended by the control operator who is the control op of the digital station qualified under automatic rules.

So have fun watching your wife shop till she drops.

KA0MR
ARRL OO
Midwest Division
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 11:02:29 AM »

But, always remember and don't forget, that
operations under Part 97.221 (c) that
automatically controlled digital station
must transmit in response to interrogation
by a station under local or remote control.
Also, I doubt that the typical 2 Meter FM
APRS station occupies 500 Hz or less.  I
set mine for 3kHz deviation.

If you're not gonna use that set up, best to
follow Part 97.109 as I stated earler.

73 de Ronnie

KC6WTA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 01:09:33 PM »

Who cares? We have better things to worry about.  I have an APRS tracker I will be placing in my vehicle. I am not going to pull the fuse everytime someone borrows my car! Quite the contrary it would be nice to see where they went. People are jamming our repeaters and swearing in blatent disregard for FCC rules.... spend your efforts worrying about THAT. My Girlfriend has her license. Do you "rule book thumpers" expect us to swap TinyTracks everytime we use each other's vehicle? There was a Ham using APRS on 144.39 to track his commercial vehicles... that is entirely different. No one is going to say anything about someone else driving the car that you usually drive with the APRS on.
W5AOX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 08:07:33 AM »

I couldn't agree more.  I worry more about the congestion of the APRS channel with beacons, showing up literally several states beyond the area of interest, clogging the channel such that mobiles have trouble getting positions reported.  My wife is licensed, too, and her vehicle has a full time APRS installed.  Occasionally one of our non licensed children will borrow the vehicle, and it is VERY nice to be able to keep track of it, how fast they're screaming down the freeway, etc.
My first APRS hooked me when I had the vehicle in the shop.  I watched it while at work via findu.com, and could tell when they moved it from the front lot to the work bay, and when they moved it back out front, and I could see they had parked it in a different slot.  I knew it was ready before they called me.  COOL.
If we "followed the rules" microscopically like some seem to wish, we'd disconnect the APRS every time we left the vehicle, to ensure if it's stolen by a non-ham his position wouldn't be illegally broadcast....
All my 6 kids grew up and left home years before APRS was available.  I would have installed APRS with some suffix attached to my call in EVERY one of their cars had it been available.
I would recommend against asking for legal advice from hams.  If I asked if it was legal to call CQ on a repeater, a sizeable percentage would say no...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: