Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Frequency Dial Lockup  (Read 1566 times)
DJWHYTE30

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-757GXII. Today while changing the frequency, using the frequency dial knob, it stiffened up to the point where it is almost impossible to turn. I seem to recall seeing something on here a while ago about how to fix this problem. Any step-by-step solutions? Thank you very much. 73
KB8MYC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:49:54 PM »

Mine is sitting on my bench with the same problem! Apparently this is a common problem.  Hopefully someone has an easy fix!
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »

The lube they use dries out, I just had the same thing happen to my FT-1000MP.

I have a rubber like cover on the knob, that comes off to expose an allan screw, loosen the screw, remove the knob, take some light oil (like 3 in one) place a few drops on the shaft, elivate the radio so the oil slides down the shaft.  Wait a while, put a few more drops on, eventually it'll loosen up. Easiest repair I've ever had to preform on a rig.

73 Ed w3ere
DJWHYTE30

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »

Okay, I removed the rubber and looked closely and my knob does not have an Allen key (or anything for that matter) in it. It appeared to be pressure fit so I just pulled the knob off. It came off with the amount of force that one would expect for a 'press fit'. Now I see a round metal shaft that has a white grooved 'donut' spacer at the base. There is a small mounting screw in the 10:00 position and an identical one in the 4:30 position. There is a metal band attached to each of these screws and the band itself rests in the groove in the 'donut'. It is almost impossible to turn the shaft using my fingers. I tried with pliers and I can turn it and tune the radio but there is a rubbing sound that happens when I do that. That can't be good! I set the rig vertical and put 2 drops of 3-in-1 oil on the shaft but it doesn't seem to be flowing down. Any other suggestions/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

VA3GML
- Guy
K7STO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

Before you do damage there is a turning torque adjustment screw for the tuning Knob, it is accssible through the hole on the bottom of the transceiver,just beneath the knob. This might be your problem.

73 mike
KA9DTZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:18:26 PM »

I have a 757GX (original version) and had the same problem after 20 years.  Ed's advice was good.  It's probably not the dial tension but you might check that too.  A couple of drops of light oil did the trick with mine.  Smooth as silk once it worked it's way down the shaft.  Starting with too little might be a good idea adding a little at a time.  There is an encoder down there that probably wouldn't like to have a coating of oil.  As for the knob... I believe I did have to loosen the screw under the rubber on mine but can't remember for sure.  Firm but gentle force removed it easily.  I would assume the GX and the GX MkII knobs are the same part.

73, Greg
DJWHYTE30

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »

Thanks Mike. I checked and yes, there is a small flathead screw there for adjustment. I tried it gently and it seems to move the lower screw near the tuning shaft and put tension on the 'donut', which tightens the spacer up, but doesn't change the tension on the metal shaft. The oil has had a chance to seep in over night and no change. It is starting to look as if my whole tuning mechanism may have gone by the way of the do-do bird! Any Yaesu techs out there that can provide some assistance? Thanks much...
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »

If you've run out of patience, give Yaesu a call, you can speak with a tech (for free) directly.  He's probably going to tell you to keep trying the light oil, don't get sloppy, don't over do it, that oil doesn't always work it's way into siezed shafts in minutes or hours

Patience and a light touch, no vice grip pliers, no steel hammers or plumbing torches.  Two drops every 6 hours and call me in the morning. Wink lol

73 Ed w3ere
DJWHYTE30

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

Thanks Greg (et al) for the advice. I kept my patience and it paid off. I very carefully loosened the tension screws to loosen the metal band in the plastic spacer. That allowed me to remove the spacer itself. I then loosened the hex nut a little bit, put the rig vertical and put a few more drops of 3-in-1 oil on the shaft and let it soak in overnight. This time, success! I cleaned the excess oil up, tightened the hex nut, put the spacer back, tightened the tension back up and popped the knob back on and it is working like new again! Thanks to all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: