Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 vdc printers?  (Read 4241 times)
K7VV

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »

Anybody have a source and/or recommedations for a good 12VDC printer for a drop-box?
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:32:47 AM »

Since many printers are powered from wall warts, it might be easy to to do a DC/DC inverter and power them from a 12v source.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:50:23 AM »

You would have to do some looking, but there are printers that use 12 VDC and can be powered directly with 12 VDC.  If you're unable--or unwilling to do that, then you may want to look at a small inverter.  Inverters that would deliver 80 to 100 watts at 120 VAC are available for $10 to $20 bucks.  Those would be ideal for running a small printer.  Of course, you would be reconverting twice, but if you can't find what you need, that may be the easiest way of doing what you want to.
W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »

HP makes their H470-series of mobile color printers.  You will need the optional DC power adapter if you want to run it on vehicle power.  Comes with a battery and AC charger I believe.

Nice printer which holds up pretty well according to the reviews.

I have one on order along with a Toughbook which I plan to make an "supported agency loaner" system for my Mobile Communications Unit (www.armymars.net).  One thing that I've learned is that it is easier and more efficient to bring comm system access TO the user via an Ethernet cable or Wifi as opposed to requiring them to come into the vehicle.  It also has the benefit of keeping "incident madness" out of the MCU.  Roll Eyes

john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAM3RE/AAA9SL
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »

a small inverter.
Just remember that you should check whether or not the inverter puts out a lot of RF noise, needing filtering.
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »

I have an HP laptop and all-in-one printer.  Can't say I'm thrilled about either one.  However, the HP travel printer I have works very well.  Go figure..
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »

Some guys just run by Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest printer on sale. That way they also have fresh ink. When they pack it in to go home, toss the printer.
K7VV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »

Good,
found three decent 12 printers we can use.  thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: