Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with learning CW.  (Read 19547 times)
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:17 AM »

HI all...

well after doing some practice sending because of the character combination problem I was having.....had to have a rethink, it was starting to mess up all timing....

Now I guess there is no golden rule as to placement of the key....there are tested positions over time...but nothing set in stone....

I found the most comfortable arm position.   well I looked at how my arm raises casually, it does not come straight up ..along side me...it comes up with the hand in-front but a little to the side with the elbow to the side....thus there is a elbow to the hand angle . So I put the key in-front and a little to the side...and twisted it to the same angle as the arm.........and doing this seems to give me a more natural movement of the arm.....and so far, the problem I was having is about 80% better.

While more practice is still required....sometimes it seems, the CW adage of Practice, Practice and more Practice does not solve all problems....

John
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

John:

The "practice, practice, practice" is what is needed after you find the correct arm, hand and wrist position, the contact spacing on the key and the spring tension.  Problems that also might need attention is key "skating" on the desktop and probably a half dozen other things that might crop up. 

Sending and receiving Morse code is a learned ability just like playing a musical instrument.  Mastering either provides beautiful music, depending on the ear of the beholder!   Grin
AA3EJ

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »

John, check out the CW Academy for furthering your CW interest, part of the CWops club and maybe you will find an advisor to help you if you don't have anybody who lives close to you or a local club which has interest in CW. After checking out the cwops(dot)org club you may email me if you have any questions. I am an CW advisor for the CWA.. 73's Dave,AA3EJ,
cwops #694 CWA-advisor
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »

To send with the most comfort and the way that it was taught to ships radio officers, is to drop the wrist when you want to go key down.
It is not necessary or comfortable to use the entire arm and will lead to fatigue more quickly.
It is important to set the key for your own personal taste, with regard to contact spacing and spring tension.

Also, the key is important - there is a different style used with the "flat top" type of keys compared to the naval conical types.
The hand/finger placement is also different on the two key styles.
If your on a J38 type of key, it will feel very different from one of the larger mass marine types.
This is not to say one type is better than another, and once you can send well, the key type becomes unimportant.
But, when you are starting, you may find that different types of keys "feel" better.
Sometimes you find old keys at hamfests for a relatively low price, and you may like the way some feel better than others.
In my experience, the larger keys "feel" better than small low mass keys.

So whatever you find suits you most comfortably and naturally is your optimum key setup.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:43:15 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: