I am a new ham this year, got my Tech ticket in April, got my General in July, got my Extra in December.
I have worked a few contests trying for WAS and DXCC.
Today the "Spirit of Christmas" arrived. I had worked TG9NX on Oct 29 and sent a QSL card and SASE to him via N4FKZ, which was what was listed. I have sent out about 500 QSL cards so far. I received my QSL card back with the following paper enclosed:
We need your help to improve our QSLing system. What was it that went wrong with you? Why didnï¿½t you send enough funds for us to process your QSL card? To the point of exhaustion, the operator tells everybody: ï¿½If you need a QSL card the information for QSLing is only OK on QRZ.com on the internet.
Please choose from the following options what was the problem:
1) I didnï¿½t hear the information
2) I donï¿½t know what QRZ.com is.
3) I ignore what a mail drop is.
4) I donï¿½t have a computer
5) It is in my nature to try to get everything for free.
6) Everything has to be my way.
7) People who charge for shipping and handling should be put to death.
I trust no one from Latin American.
9) My budget only allows me to QSL with two 36cent stamps or by bureau.
10) It is in my genes to contradict everything.
11) I was so drunk when I make the contact that I donï¿½t remember anything.
12) I believe that the final courtesy of a QSO is a free QSL card.
13) If I only had a brain.
14) Iï¿½m trying to think but nothing happens.
15) I am a Moron Tried and True.
16) W0SF a.k.a. B0ZO is my hero.
I went to QRZ.com and found that this guy is DXCC 5 band, etc, etc. I guess he is just too much of a bigshot to deal with guys like me (no - I don't know what a "mail drop" is).
He could have just thrown my card out and left it at that but since he is such a BIG IMPORTANT MAN, he felt he needed to try to humiliate someone who didn't understand the system.
Well, they say Ham Radio is dying - I wonder why that could be.
Think about if you have ever had a contact with TG9NX - and think about calling the DXCC desk and telling the ARRL that you made a mistake and that those contacts really shouldn't count. Take away his BIG 5BDXCC and see if maybe he can adjust his attitude if HE needed QSL cards.
Merry Christmas, I know I'm feeling the love.