The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu now made in China?  (Read 33494 times)
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:06 PM »

Just for the sake of information, I have an SCU-17 that was made in Japan -- not China.  And my FT-450D, ditto.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

Sounds like Yaesu manufactured in both locations and is now getting back to Japan as supplies and locations become available.

Wonder where the FT-991 will come from.

KF7CG
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »

I recently got a brand new FT-2900R. Radio is made in Japan, the mic is made in Taiwan. I checked and did not see China mentioned anywhere on anything from this unit.

Most people complaining about overheating are either running 30 minute long rag chews on high power, likely in a car they just go into in the summer heat. Otherwise with mine over the past several weeks, even on high power, the external heatsink barely got warm.

de K4ISR
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »

I've seen a lot of accessories from the big three made in China.  As for rigs, Icom is still Japanese.

I don't know if there is any parallel here, but Nikon makes their higher-end lenses in Japan, while the lower-end Costco bundled types are made in Thailand, FWIW.

N0CSW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »

Currently, here are the facts Smiley

The FT-270, 1900 and 2900 are produced in China.

QC is performed either in Japan or the United States.

No other transceivers are manufactured in China.

73!

Chris W / N0CSW
National Sales Manager
Yaesu USA

I've seen a lot of accessories from the big three made in China.  As for rigs, Icom is still Japanese.

I don't know if there is any parallel here, but Nikon makes their higher-end lenses in Japan, while the lower-end Costco bundled types are made in Thailand, FWIW.

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Hi, I don't know how to tell which model is made where, but it seems as if Yaesu  is manufacturing in both countries. I know that their SCU-17 is Chinese made. The FT-8800 and FT-8900 the my wife and I have are Japanese. The FT1D is Japanese, but the FT450D is Chinese.

I have had no problems with any of them. The selectivity on the FT450D isn't as great as I would like but that is a design rather than a manufacturing issue.

KF7CG

It's really simple.  On an HT, just open the battery compartment.  The country of manufacture should be on the label in there.  On mobiles or other radios, the country of manufacture will be on the certification label, usually on the back of the radio.
K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »

73!

Chris W / N0CSW
National Sales Manager
Yaesu USA

Brand new Yaesu FT2900R within the past month.
Box says made in Japan.
Bottom of unit says Made in Japan.
Website says made in Japan.

Somhow I don't trust all the info being spread around....

de K4ISR
N0CSW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »

The components for those radios are manufactured in China, assembled in Japan and QC is done in Japan and the United States (once the product arrives here).

We have VERY few products or components manufactured in China.

From what I have gathered by working at Yaesu, we have alternated a time or two between full on production in China and Japan on a few products, but never outside the ones I mentioned. This is my personal observation on this topic and should not officially reflect on the company until I get word back (I have asked).

I do not work in that area of production but I am open to any other questions you may have, I can pass them along.

Chris W / N0CSW

73!

Chris W / N0CSW
National Sales Manager
Yaesu USA

Brand new Yaesu FT2900R within the past month.
Box says made in Japan.
Bottom of unit says Made in Japan.
Website says made in Japan.

Somhow I don't trust all the info being spread around....
WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »

Maybe it's just not relevant these days and in this current global economy, but, post WWII, the Japanese sure made good use of this American's ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Aloha, Steve.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 04:11:51 AM »

Maybe it's just not relevant these days and in this current global economy, but, post WWII, the Japanese sure made good use of this American's ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Aloha, Steve.

It is only because of corporate greed and low labor costs in China which boosts profits because they do not sell them cheaper. German sewing machine maker Pfaff bought Husqvarna Viking, maker of fine Swedish built sewing machines, a few years ago. Liquidated inventory and moved production to China.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

73!

Chris W / N0CSW
National Sales Manager
Yaesu USA

Then why does my FT-60 say "Made in China" on the inside?

K4ISR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »

It is only because of corporate greed and low labor costs in China which boosts profits because they do not sell them cheaper. German sewing machine maker Pfaff bought Husqvarna Viking, maker of fine Swedish built sewing machines, a few years ago. Liquidated inventory and moved production to China.

Tis not greed, tis business sense. Cut costs and find a way to keep quality close to where it was with cheaper labor. We would have a booming industrial and manufacturing sector if the government would get out of private businesses and the bogus minimum wage crap. With the dollar, inflation and everything else, we should at MOST have a $3/hr minimum wage. At that level, the price of everything made and transported within the US drops and balances with the wage, making it massively more affordable for minimum wage earners to live off it. At $7/hr, the price of everything that relies on low wage workers averages 300% more than at $4/hr... 75% required wage increase means average 300% price increase on products made by them.

China is starting to see the same thing now, so many jobs have been created that it has made a higher competitive wage, thus the cost of having stuff made over there becomes less attractive every year. This is why some companies are actually starting up in Mexico (joining some already there like Fiat, Dodge, Toyota, VW, Hyundai, BlackBerry, Epson, HP and Lexmark computer products, and others).

de K4ISR
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: