The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending Morse Code from my keyboard (see reason below)  (Read 13041 times)
KA0ZBE

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »

After a long break, I want to get back to CW.  I usually operate at low power (1-20 watts) and CW has always been my favorite mode of communications. Unfortunately, time and work related injuries have made keying with my right hand difficult after a bit.  Does anyone know of a way I can hook up my computer to my rig ( right now I am using a 2.5 watt Yaesu FT-817 ND or a 10 watt Yaesu FT-301s) and send Morse code just like I was keying with a straight key while I type on the keyboard?  I will still key when I can but I would like the option to switch to my computer when my hand start to throb.  I don't mean Packett or RTTY I mean Morse code i can send from my keyboard to the keyer on my radio at my normal keying speed of 5-15.  I would be interested in both hardware and software solutions.
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »

http://www.hosenose.com/store/productDetail.aspx?ProdID=5657&PrimaryCatID=45&

http://www.n3fjp.com/

https://writelog.com/

http://www.trlog.com/         http://k1el.tripod.com/

I use N3FJP contact log for my general logging and also cw dxing  and even  cw or Morse code   qso's . All my F keys have pre recorded messages in them. When I press F12 key then that will put the software into the communications mode and i can just send cw with the keyboard. If I did not want to use the keyboard to transmit cw/Morse code  qso I could use the F keys and use the software on a dx expedition I would guess. I sure could use it as if I were in a  contest and even log the contact with touch of F key.

But of course I use Writelog contest log when ever I have been in a cw contest. I would Not suggest N3FJP software  for cw contesting.

I use the LUC3-I Level Converter ifc to interface my computer to my Icom 746Pro . Of course if I want to switch to a bug it is as simple by just unplugging the keyboard from front of the Icom  and plugging in a hand key . I have had hams complement me on my cw sending a few times and I would reply back . Thanks but I am using a keyboard today.

There are other solutions to sending with a keyboard but this is simply how I do it.

73 JIM
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:34:25 PM by WB3CQM » Logged
KA0ZBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »

Thank you for your quick reply. 
I was worried about posting my request because I have always been a straight keyer and I'm embarrassed that I have to resort to a crutch to help me with a mode of communication I enjoy.
I hope with time maybe I can avoid using the crutch so much.  I look forward to other constructive input from other users.
73's
Mike
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »

As a middle course between "no tech" and "high tech":

. . . Could you use a paddle, instead of straight key, with your right hand?

. . . Could you learn to use a paddle (or straight key) with your left hand?

The FT-817 has a built-in keyer, and at your speed, _any_ paddle will do.  I have two microswitches ("dit" and "dah") mounted on a piece of perfboard, and I can send around 15 wpm with that gadget.

.          Charles
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »

A good many older ops use keyboards due to injuries or just plain old age. They copy by ear and send by keyboard and that's ok.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »

No problem here! As a member of SKCC as well as FISTS I personally do not care how you generate your Morse. The most important thing is that you get on the air by any means and have fun with the rest of us! I have used touch keys before due to wrist trouble which has now subsided.It required me to develope my "finger" instead of my "fist", hi hi.
  73 and looking forward to a QSO here....   lane de n8aft  sk  ..
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »

Certainly no shame in using a keyboard. I use the K1EL K42 standalone keyboard.  No computer required.  Also doubles as a electronic keyer used with paddles or you can connect your straight key to it.  http://k1el.tripod.com/K42.html  Hope to work you some day !  -Joe N3HEE

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »

I've not been using CW for nearly 25-yerars , BUT getting back into it.
I have a rare form of disability and can use only a keyboard (type very slow) it.

I'm in the beginning stages of using the HamGadgets MK-1 keyer, which also excepts a keyboard as an input   Love it Smiley

My CW is only 13wpm, BUT considering my handicap, my transmiitting/receiving is fine.

Ken KC8Y

N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »

Certainly no shame in using a keyboard. I use the K1EL K42 standalone keyboard.  No computer required.  Also doubles as a electronic keyer used with paddles or you can connect your straight key to it.  http://k1el.tripod.com/K42.html  Hope to work you some day !  -Joe N3HEE

That looks nice! I'm happy to be back on CW, but after a long QSO... My error rate increases! This might be a great backup to let me not feel pressure when going faster than I should...

Thanks,
Scott N6PG
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »

Don't sweat your speed OM....
High Speed does not guarantee as High Accuracy.
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »

Hi Mike,

Using a keyboard is a crutch?  Nah.  Read "The Art & Skill of Radiotelegraphy" which is available as a free online download.  There you will find that the keyboard is a tool for generating beautifully formed Morse code and is used by proficient CW operators. 

The MFJ451 CW keyboard is a dedicated sending unit needing no computer.  Mine has been a great performer for many years without a single glitch.  It has weight control which I consider a requirement in any electronic keying system.  

I've been pounding brass for 53 years and prefer my keyboard most of the time because it lets me send so nice and clean.  I also have paddles and a straight key and it's nice to switch between them as the mood hits.

73 Mike W8MW
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:09:50 AM by W8MW » Logged
AA4BQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »

Do the SKCC rules allow electronic keyers and keyboards for award chasing?

No problem here! As a member of SKCC as well as FISTS I personally do not care how you generate your Morse. The most important thing is that you get on the air by any means and have fun with the rest of us! I have used touch keys before due to wrist trouble which has now subsided.It required me to develope my "finger" instead of my "fist", hi hi.
  73 and looking forward to a QSO here....   lane de n8aft  sk  ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: