The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worthwhile to buy a new windows computer now or wait until windows 10 arri  (Read 37406 times)
K2ACB

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »

I wonder if it is worthwhile to purchase a new windows computer now or wait until windows 10 arrives on the market?

I am still using a windows xp computer. It is a bit slow but it still meets my needs. I am not a computer maven. I do plan to get a new computer and most likely a laptop in the near future.

I have read that microsoft has discontinued windows 7 and windows 8 with its touch screen was not that successful. Instead of going to a windows 9 microsoft has announced that they will be coming out with a windows 10 by the spring of 2015. Windows 10 will have a start feature and will incorporate the best features of windows 7 and windows 8. I also read that microsoft will incorporate windows 10 in a lot of other devices that use windows like smart phones and tablets.

I wonder does it pay to buy a computer now with windows 8 or to just wait a few months and purchase a computer with windows 10 already built in?

Does anyone have an input on this dilemma?

Alan
K2ACB
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »

A lot depends on your needs, desires, etc. I just purchased a new 8.1 laptop 64 bit. My other laptop was running XP. It's like night and day between them. Navigation on 8.1 is so smooth and fast and I love it. I can use the Metro screen or just go directly to the desktop. It's really quite simple to maneuver to use what you might need to use. My XP laptop is now a dinosaur with lots of overgrown hair. I could have waited for Win10 or Win11, etc. but why wait. If Win10 comes out with features that I might like or want, I'll just upgrade the software. Life's to short to ponder what if. Holiday times are also great times to get good deals.

Pete, wa2cwa
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »

Well if your old school, HP ProBooks still come with Win 7 pro and win 8 pro CD and licenses. I suspect that will stop when 10 ships and they will likely upgrade recent win 8x buyers to 10for free. Typically they go back about 6 months from release.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »

I wonder does it pay to buy a computer now with windows 8 or to just wait a few months and purchase a computer with windows 10 already built in?

Does anyone have an input on this dilemma?

Alan
K2ACB

Only a naive fool would buy a Win 8 computer, now or in the past. Wait until Win 10 and wait until at least 6 months after it's release to make sure it Win 10 is not the P.O.S debacle that Win 8 turned out to be.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:27:39 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »

You may well find Win8 faster, I think most of that is down to the "entry level" machines hardware is better than your XP machine's.
My wife has had a Win8.1 hybrid laptop since April, although she uses it most days, she finds it awkward.
I believe Win8.1 will upgrade to Win10 so in that respect, it's your money.
I think you can still get Win7 computers but you need to ask as "real" shops over here don't have them on show

As for your XP machine, it might be needing a good enema to clear out the things that are holding it back.

I don't know how much you do know but a few things that can help.
(1) Go into the menu, hit "run", then type "msconfig", enter. Go to "startup" tab and unclick what you don't need
(2) Go to "System Tools", Run "Disk Cleanup"
(3)Get "ccleaner" use that to get the unwanted bits and bobs gone, then clean the registry
(4) Get Malwarebytes anti malware and scan your machine with it
(5) Get the "Unofficial Service Pack 4" (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133918#133918). Amongst other things, this will get you security updates from Microsoft until 2019
(6) run "Defrag"
This should make your machine a little peppier

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

My own machine is a few generations behind (comes of being skint).
The processor is an Intel E2160 (2 core @ 1.8GHz) with 4 gig of ram
It "triple boots" into Windows XP, Windows 7 and a newly installed Linux (Ubuntu 14.10)
I did have troubles with the previous Linux but this one seems to be bedding in quite well.

Windows 7 doesn't get used much.
Linux I'm learning and as this is working reasonable, I'm learning it slowly with tutorials from "Youtube"
My weapon of choice is XP although this may change to Linux

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 06:24:29 PM »

There has been no date set for the end of Windows 7 Professional, it will continue to be sold pre installed. The end of support for Windows 7 is January 14 2020.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Windows 7 Professional
Date of general availability  October 22, 2009
Retail software end of sales * October 31, 2013
End of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled  Not yet established **

You can find refurbished and guaranteed Windows 7 PRO computers from MicroCenter and other places. You can find Windows 7 PRO Installed in new machines at MicroCenter and other sources. You might want to take this route until at least Windows 10 SP1 is released with most of  the bugs worked out of it. You can find fairly good to high quality desktops refurbished with Windows 7 PRO for under $200 and up.

If you have several XP machines and they still work fine, you can convert one or two of them over to Linux. A popular distro is Linux Mint Mate. The other XP machines can still work fine for other tasks than the internet, so don't toss them just yet.

If you are still using XP machines on the 'net (I am still running two), use them for non sensitive stuff like posting to eham and basic internet uses. But I do suggest to do banking and financial stuff maybe on Vista, Windows 7, iPad or a modern Linux distro like Linux Mint Mate.

If you have no other choice but to buy a Windows 8 machine. Apparently there is some good news, there is a hack you could use called "Classic Shell".  Another is a commercial program called Start8! by Startdock. It is only $5 .  http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

So no matter what solution you choose, you still have choices and are are not stuck with something that may not be to your liking. After all it is your choice, your money and you will be the one using the computer.

Good Luck

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

If you need a new PC, then buy it and upgrade as needed.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »

Only a naive fool would buy a Win 8 computer, now or in the past. Wait until Win 10 and wait until at least 6 months after it's release to make sure it Win 10 is not the P.O.S debacle that Win 8 turned out to be.

Stan K9IUQ

Here, I fixed it for you:

"Only a naive fool would buy a Win 8 computer, now or in the past. Wait until Win 10 and wait until at least 6 months after it's release to make sure and hope Win 10 is not the P.O.S debacle that Win 8 turned out to be."

Its almost always going to be a crap shoot with Microsoft. I have been using 8.1 for quite some time with no issues at all. I use classic shell and bypass the worthless Metro screen. It looks and feels like XP, but runs circles around it in terms of performance.

But as others have said, its your money!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »

Like someone mentioned above . . . Depends on your needs. If you can wait, I would wait until Win 10 comes out and start fresh there. Windows 7 was launched in 2009, so buying it now is just not wise. It's old. Even buying Win 8.1 now seems a bit "old" as Win 10 is looming.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »

Even buying Win 8.1 now seems a bit "old" as Win 10 is looming.

All that means is that Win10 is going to be newer, not better!

Win8.1 seems "old"? It has only been out for about 14 months. I know that can be a lifetime in the computer world, but I wouldn't classify it as "old".

I know that Win10 is already in the hands of some programmers and developers and I haven't heard anything horribly negative about it... so far!

But unless you are a programmer, software developer, power user, serious gamer or someone who just has to have "bleeding edge" technology, Win8.1 will most likely be just fine for you. My old PC ran Vista and I skipped over Win7 completely and bought a new PC with Win8.1 and everything that ran on Vista runs just as well (if not better!) on Win8.1. Of course I did fresh installs of all my software and had to get the appropriate drivers, but you will have to do that no matter which OS you decide to use.

Another thing I had to do was buy a new dual port RS232 card since my old one was PCI and new computers only come with PCI-E slots. I use "real" serial ports for FSK RTTY and CW. The serial card cost about $9.00 and I don't have to mess with those USB-to-serial adapters which can be flakey to set up and use.

And speaking of USB ports, my new PC had USB2.0 and 3.0 ports and for some reason, it would not see my IC-7410 on either speed, but this was easily solved by using a cheap powered USB hub. From what I have been told, some of the new MBs that have both types of USB ports do not supply enough power to the ports. And if you are getting a laptop you are probably going to end up getting a USB hub anyway since most manufacturers are not very generous when it comes to the number of ports.

My only other piece of advice (for now!) if you are thinking about a laptop is not to buy it on specs alone. Go to a store and actually put your hands on one and see what it feels like. This isn't as crucial with a desktop keyboard since replacement keyboards are pretty cheap if you don't like the one that comes with it, but with a laptop, the size and spacing of the keys can vary widely from one brand and model to another. If you really can't stand a laptop keyboard, your only option (other than selling it) is to get an external keyboard.

YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »

Typing from a Windows 10 64-bit machine as we speak, using it since the Technical Preview has been released, less than 3 months ago.

Windows 10 is basically what 8/.1 should've been: improved 7 with better user interface, a bunch of small add-ons that make the life easier and a modern approach to touch-screen devices. No compatibiliy issues, comes with alot of software/apps for common files, the drivers library is even larger and the performance is excellent even on low-spec machines. There are still issues to be ironed out (I personally experience some problems with CPU clock and power management), but overall it is definetely worth the wait over Windows 8 (not that Windows 8 was ever too appealing).

Razvan.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 06:34:33 AM »

Only a naive fool would buy a Win 8 computer, now or in the past.

Only the truly clueless would say this. You a legend in you own mind that is stuck in past,

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 06:44:03 AM »

The end of support for Windows 7 is January 14 2020.

Once again, LIFE SUPPORT will end in 2020. Main stream support ends in 2 months period after which it goes on life support. (many do not understand this)  Once on life support there will be no updates or enhancements. It will get security fixes ONLY. Win8x has 3 more years of FULL support for enhancements and updates. After that 5 more years of life support.  Which warranty is smart one here dah....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:06:22 AM by W8JX » Logged

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »

OK, let's get this straight:

Mainstream Support of Windows 7 ends on 1/13/15.  That means that there will be no requests for new designs or features, non-security related updates, or non-paid support.  Any Microsoft hardware warranties also expire.

Extended Support ends on 1/14/20.  Extended support includes security updates, paid support, and availability of the knowledge base & support site.  This, IMHO, is far more important.  There is no reason to switch from Win7 to anything else unless you just want to.  There is no business case for dropping it, at least nothing security-related, at this time.

The most important aspects of Windows 7 (read:  security) will be supported for 5 more years, or until about the time Windows 12 SP3 is released. Grin

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:25:42 AM by WW7KE » Logged

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: