The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worthwhile to buy a new windows computer now or wait until windows 10 arri  (Read 39043 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 08:08:05 AM »

The bottom line is that Windows 8 no longer exists!

Well not quite true. For some reason about 4% of total market has not upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Likely some client machines.

I think what was meant is you probably can't buy win 8 now, just 8.1.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »

Insert Quote
Quote from: W8JX on Today at 15:43:06
Quote from: N0IU on Today at 13:46:11

Well not quite true. For some reason about 4% of total market has not upgraded from 8 to 8.1. Likely some client machines.

I think what was meant is you probably can't buy win 8 now, just 8.1.

No, I believe it's that some have not got a "Microsoft account" and cannot get the upgrade from the Microsoft store, might be wrong

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

We use 8.1 in our work place with no problems. We also did the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 without a Microsoft account. Yes we run classic shell but that is the only change made. 8.1 works fine. If you have old hardware that doesn't have drivers written by their manufacturer past XP then you will have to up date them. We had to change out a digital Xray system and take a laptop based ultrasound unit off the network because of no support. That's not Microsoft's problem. Win 7 and 8 is nice in that a driver crashing no longer takes the whole system down. I would never run XP on the internet now. Even if you have nothing to loose on the machine it could still be taken over by other people and used for things like the DDOS attack on the two major gaming services.

Todd
AD7VB
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

. I would never run XP on the internet now. Even if you have nothing to loose on the machine it could still be taken over by other people and used for things like the DDOS attack on the two major gaming services

That's funny, I've had more issues with Win7 than I've ever had with XP. Just goes to show that all this about XP is just pure FUD. As far as I'm concerned it's as secure as any Microsoft O/S.
Now I have cleared out my old Linux and loaded with a new version, I'm drifting towards Linux and if I next remove an O/S from my machine it will not be XP, it will be 7.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »

The thing to watch in all the operating systems and their upgrades is the slow steady drift toward "leasing" instead of buying. This will mainly effect persons who wish to use their computers as "stand alone" systems.

The Cloud is just one step toward a subscription base for the software manufacturers, especially the operating system and office software vendors. Once fully implemented you will have to pay up your monthly fee or now computing for you. Quite possibly no data retrieval to other systems, either.

I still have an Atari 800 XL with homebrew rtty interface that functions well. If it ain't broke don't mess with it, except for fun.

I work with software all day long, and just rather have a fix it once and use it till it dies type system at home.

KF7CG
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »

The Cloud is just one step toward a subscription base for the software manufacturers, especially the operating system and office software vendors.

I do not believe that the primary focus of cloud is for leased apps or OS. The "Cloud" is the net step in data share between persons and devices. Dropbox for one has become so well supported across platforms that MS is building in support for it in new office releases. I use it to share data between tablet, smartphone and even laptop. To be honest though Apple does not fully embrace this because they want you to do it their way with their cloud and software.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »

The Cloud is just one step toward a subscription base for the software manufacturers, especially the operating system and office software vendors. Once fully implemented you will have to pay up your monthly fee or now computing for you. Quite possibly no data retrieval to other systems, either.
KF7CG

Any issues with "the cloud", may be concisely explained by replacing "the cloud" with "someone else's computer".
I do not trust "the cloud", and am very reluctant to place any of my data there.
Because you never know exactly where "someone else's computer" is, and what laws regarding privacy
exist (or don't exist) there.

N8AUC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »

Any issues with "the cloud", may be concisely explained by replacing "the cloud" with "someone else's computer".
I do not trust "the cloud", and am very reluctant to place any of my data there.
Because you never know exactly where "someone else's computer" is, and what laws regarding privacy exist (or don't exist) there.

Actually it is more secure than your Email. Because it is not stored in a clearly defined location it is hard to find and only your PC/hand held device has address via your account and access key. I lot of thought went into security when it was conceived. When you look at recent hacks they have all been know servers not cloud assets. Only cloud known to have been cracked was apple cloud and they have since fixed it. The proprietary nature of Apples cloud and servers makes it the weakest. 

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 04:13:55 AM »

One word... LINUX!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »

One word... LINUX!

I think sony was running Linux.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:40 AM »

One word... LINUX!

What distribution?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »

It does not matter. The Linux/Unix platform is supposed to be the holy grail of security but it seems not though some like you claim it is. Anything can be hacked given time but somethings are at greater risk. The recent attack on Microsoft's Xbox servers was a DDOS attack (distributed denial of service) which can restrict access as resources are over whelmed but it poses little security risk.   

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »

What distribution?

It does not matter.

It does matter. If nothing else, your inability to name the distribution again points to your lack of credibility.

The Linux/Unix platform is supposed to be the holy grail of security but it seems not though some like you claim it is.

Some like me? Pound salt. I have never claimed it is "the holy grail of security". I have never claimed it is unhackable.

Anything can be hacked given time but somethings are at greater risk.

... such as many Microsoft systems.

The recent attack on Microsoft's Xbox servers was a DDOS attack (distributed denial of service) which can restrict access as resources are over whelmed but it poses little security risk.  

Gee.... a DDOS attack is not the same as hacking the OS? Reeeeeelly? wow.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:46:04 AM by KK4GGL » Logged

Rick KK4GGL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

I found nothing about Linux coming already installed on Sony laptops. I DO see a number of posts about people running Linux on a Sony laptop such as Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Linux Mint. These would be someone who installed Linux on a Sony laptop, which can be done on most laptops.

However there was another "other OS option" that Sony killed on the PS3.

http://www.cnet.com/news/say-good-bye-to-linux-on-the-ps3/

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:57:35 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: