The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worthwhile to buy a new windows computer now or wait until windows 10 arri  (Read 37369 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »

You might consider doing what I did. Had a slow XP PC, but didn' t want version 8. I bought a used, loaded, Windows 7 PC (for a low price) and it's excellent.

Alan W2MV
KK4MRN

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »

If you use Windows 8.1 and you want a start menu back, go to http://www.stockdock.com and buy Start8 for about $5.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »

If you use Windows 8.1 and you want a start menu back, go to http://www.stockdock.com and buy Start8 for about $5.

Why should I even pay $5 when ClassicShell is free?
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »

Why should I even pay $5 when ClassicShell is free?

Why add a start menu when the start screen is faster to start programs with . . . especially when you unpin the things you don't use often.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »

Why add a start menu when the start screen is faster to start programs with . . . especially when you unpin the things you don't use often.

Because I am a crusty old curmudgeon who is resistant to change and likes things the old way!

And while I'm at it, the FCC needs to bring back the Morse code tests!!!
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

OMG! Windows sucks so bad! Every time in forced to use a windows machine I'm quickly reminded of what a pain in the ass they are. My Mac gear just runs and never gives me any trouble.
W1AN

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

Option 1: Buy a refurbished corporate model PC off ebay. An HP DC7900, SFF Small form factor, dual core, 3.0GHz is a decent choice. Make sure it comes with Windows 7 Pro and the COA. Find one that includes a serial and parallel port, a good size HDD and maybe a DVD R/W drive. For about $175-$250 you will have something that will last for many years. Replacement parts are dirt cheap. Add a PCI-express multi-port RS232 serial card for your shack accessories.

Option 2: Build your own PC with a mini-itx board and nice case. Find a MB with multiple serial ports and headers for shack accessories. Many have 4 or more RS232 Com ports. You'll spend a little more but you can customize to your hearts content. And you can keep Windows 7 for several more years.

Avoid consumer model PCs.

If you want a laptop with a real serial port, HP also has some decent corporate, off lease models that you can find with Win7 Pro. Many are on ebay. ~$250.

Get some help on selecting one for you.

73, John W1AN
KF5AFN

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 06:11:41 AM »

XP still does most of the heavy lifting around the Shack, at work computers had been upgraded to 7 and everyone was pretty comfortable, in September the whole place burned to the foundation, hundreds of Desktops and Laptops had to be replaced. Whether from lack of availability or price, we all ended up with windows 8. It's crap, Classic shell is used by most and once again life is good. For what it's worth, Windows 8 is great on my smartphone.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »

OMG! Windows sucks so bad! Every time in forced to use a windows machine I'm quickly reminded of what a pain in the ass they are. My Mac gear just runs and never gives me any trouble.

Amen !  I have Win 7 on my Mac only because I use RT Systems software for programming my IC-9100. Otherwise it would be Long Gone !
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: