The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handle (Knob) for Navy Flame Proof  (Read 4378 times)
N4GKC

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »

I've just purchased a Navy Flame Proof  straight key off  e-bay that has a round ( I'd call it a poker chip) handle. Did all NFP keys come with the large, upright knob as seen on most or could this be the way it was  made ?  If not,  where could I find an original nob to re-place this round flat knob  ?  I've looked on e-bay but as of yet I have not seen any (knobs only)  for sale. Thanks in advance for any ideas or answers you may give.   72/73   Gary  N4GKC
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »

Hi Gary

i looked in the D I Y store for little doorknobs or drawknob to replace the little flat plastic knob on my sons Tyco key.
They had all kinds of knobs available.
The little tyco (japanese remake of J37) looks like the world now with its nice wooden knob with blacked aluminium flat plate and the lovely wooden knob on top.

The knob costed me about $4
Also had a nice piece of oak wood sawn of 4 x 6 " to put the Tyco key on with rubber feet mounted under the wood , the key works great, as for me the only real important thing in a straight key is the knob and how it suits your fingers,

73 Jos
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:35:48 PM »

Sounds like a good project for a 3D printer.
N4GKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »

Excuse me but "huh"Huh
K8MEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »

Gary, it depends if you are going to use this key to send CW. The original knob has a different feel.
If you are used to a standard J-38 type knob, what you have is probably ok. However if you want
the original type knob for originality, then I would look at flea markets, hamfests for one. Using a
dresser knob from one of the big orange store might be an option with some creativity. If you know
someone with a lathe, turning one should be easy.  Carving one might work, too.

Rich K8MEG
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »

Morse Express usually has Nye Speed X replacement navy knobs available.

I prefer navy style knobs and have been known to use all manner of poker chips, gift cards/credit cards, and other things to make up a comfortable key!
KB4VVE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »

Gary, to answer your question, I believe from your description that you have the original knob.  Every Navy FP key I have ever seen had that type knob.  It may have to do with their being used one handed in rough seas while standing on a bridge wing in blowing wind, etc.
I finally found the one I was looking for at the Okeechobee ham fest after Thanksgiving and it was complete, apparently original and required little cleaning and adjustment to work quite well for me.
Put it on a Nye Viking base for flexible operation.
Enjoy a good working piece of histoy.
Greg, KB4VVE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: