The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rapidly waterproof coax connections?  (Read 33816 times)
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »

If you have access to the ARRL's QST magazine, check page 72 of the November 2013 Hints & Kinks section for an idea I submitted.  It basically entails using sections of bicycle inner tube as a sleeve over the coax connection and using cable ties to secure them.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to consider it waterproof, as I've never submerged them, but it's definitely resistant to your typical rain storm if you tighten the cable ties sufficiently.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/arrl/qst_201311/index.php#/76

Good Luck

Stephen
N5VTU

I guess that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Stephen!

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »

To be honest, I am not sure why you would be concerned with weatherproofing for a temp install.   If you are worried about where you are barreling cables together on the ground, those can be properly weatherproofed after you are up and on the air based on need for it.
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »

To be honest, I am not sure why you would be concerned with weatherproofing for a temp install.   If you are worried about where you are barreling cables together on the ground, those can be properly weatherproofed after you are up and on the air based on need for it.

Over here coax cables are expensive... so I'll try to keep the water out as much as possible.

in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »

The best way to seal connectors:

-Layer of quality electrical tape, e.g. 3M Scotch 33+
-Layer of Coax Seal or similar putty tape, or my preference:  self amalgamating/self fusing silicone/rubber tape, e.g. 3M Scotch 70.
-Top layer of electrical tape for UV protection.

That's how the professional tower climbers I've known do it!

tips:

-Mind the 'drip line' water would folllow. 
-Start wrapping at the low point, work towards high point
-Overlay layers by 50%
-Allow a generous amount of 2-3 inches, 5-6cm at each end.

Removal:  Simply use a sharp knife to slice thru the layers over the connector, then peel off.  You will find bright shiny connections even after years of exposure.

b
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »

@KB4QAA
Yes that is probably one of the best methods, but you can't call it fast  Grin

www.on5mf.be
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »

Another thing to consider is putting the first wrap of electrical tape sticky side out. 
You can just slice the weatherproofing longways and peal it off if you need to get back into the splice. 

Here's the hang.  You are looking to save time and save money.  It takes to long to properly weatherproof your cables???
First thing I would be looking at is a water resistant connector like an N connector.  I would use heat shrink with glue in it to seal the connector to cable junction.  Then I would be carrying a bucket full or 4X4 wood blocks to lay my connector to connector splices on top of so they weren't on the ground.

As far as the connection to the antenna.
Find some plastic pipe that will fit the bottom of the antenna and cut it one foot long and slice 2 inches down into it. 
Get a hose clamp to go over it and when you put up the antenna, slide the pipe over the coax.  Connect the cable to the antenna and then slide toe sleeve up and secure it with the hose clamp.   

If you want it right it can't be fast.
If you need it fast it can't be right.
If you are looking for a free lunch, buy a ticket to Mexico, come north and cross the border into the USA and get on welfare.  20000 Mexicans do it every day
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »

Hey guys,

please read the first post of this thread before replying!

www.on5mf.be
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »

How about using PVC T joints in 1'' and 1' lengths of broom handle.
The broom handle is sharpened in one end and screwed to the lower leg of the T.
Stick the pointy end of the broom handle in the ground and feed the coax through.
The connector are left in the upper part of the T maybe 8-10" abow ground.
Because the connection is higher than the ground it will not float around in the water.
The broom handle can be made longer if required.
ON5RKN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 06:41:49 AM »

Hi all,

Hi Jurgen,
Jurgen, maybe you can try the Eucaseals:https://www.eupen.com/cable/rf/50_ohm/accessories/EUCASEAL.htmlfrom Eupen Kabelwerk, however i don't think that you can buy it directly from them. However Eucaseals are good but only for one time use. I think the cheapest solutions will be, tape and self amalgamating/self fusing silicone/rubber tape: the first layer ordinary 3M electrical tape and than silcone rubber tape and and another last layer electrical 3M tape
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: