The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does ham radio software have to be so cheesy???  (Read 22896 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »

I haven't had any problems with either FL or Chirp. OP issues must be operator error and/or general ineptitude or lack of experience around computers and software. No problem. Nothing a few years of real PC hobby use in the shack wouldn't remedy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:00:29 PM by K5TED » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »

Man, I am so happy that I don't dabble in the digital modes.  I have enough computer support issues at work and would never dream of incorporating them into my hobby.  The only hobby related computing I do is eQSL and here.  Besides, digital comm is boring macro robotic junk in my opinion.  I am sure you digiheads will fiercely, militantly defend your side of the hobby.  All the power to you, it's just not for me.  Continue on with your frustrations.  Hobbies should be relaxing; once it becomes a burden it's time to re-evaluate what gives you pleasure.

It's only frustrating to those who aren't up to the challenge of the hobby, but are looking to fritter away time in a passive manner, like watching TV.

Digi modes aren't for every ham, but figuring out how to make it work is no more challenging than figuring put how to build an antenna, or installing a mobile HF radio, or wiring a microphone, or, setting up a working Field Day station.

If a 'ham' isn't up to the most basic of 'burdensome' hands-on hobbying and discovery, then what's the point?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:23:04 PM by K5TED » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:12:47 AM »

This whole matter can be easily resolved.  KE6WNH: go to your local elementary school and have some fourth graders write the program for you.   Cheesy Grin Tongue
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 06:37:06 AM »

Quote from: W4KYR
You can assemble a packet station in your shack for next to nothing. Your packet station can run an online BBS and have mailboxes. Sure the internet is faster and mailboxes are so 90's. With backup power your Packet BBS and mailboxes will still work after the internet or cell towers go out after some storm.

I miss 90s BBSing.

"Section 97.101(d) prohibits ALL amateur licensees from causing harmful interference, and does not provide ANY exception for interference caused to other amateurs whom the interferer believes have violated a Commission rule." - DA 16-877 at 17
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

KE6WNH: go to your local elementary school and have some fourth graders write the program for you.

No kidding.  What is so hard about using fldigi?  The OP writes "I want....."   Well, fldigi's price was right, don't you think?  He'd probably be the last person to drop some coin on a new HRD package, because after all....he's entitled. 

KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:25 PM »

As for Mac. If you want to invest yourself in a closed development system on an expensive yuppified toy, that your problem. If you do like windows then there always Linux. I would never waste my time developing software for Apple.
Still there is merit to your complaint, the cheesiness goes back issue of not attracting more than a handful who are versed in modern internet, open source and software development. The problem is ham radio most tech is stuck in the 1990’s, HF, SSB, and 300 baud resisting any technological change ex. removing the symbol rate.  I speak as somebody who is well grounded in Linux, and windows operating system, and is a hobbyist c++ C# programmer.  I tried packet radio and RSM express, both based on legacy   BBS and low speed networking. Only AGW Packet Engine come close.  I tried RMS express and abandoned it. I could not get to work under Windows 8.1 because it need a serial RS-232 TNC, yet I doing  API programing  and have need to use  a serial port in ages. Other mail programing have changed since the 1990’s I rather stick to real high tech radio and use a smart phone. I only see a small hadfull of Ham radio operators interested in ham broadband. 
Another issue is lack of a open source development tool and information. Most ham websites seem to be stuck in the  Netscape 3 days and probably never were updated sense. I am trying to develop a SDK for APRS. The latest document on protocols and formats was in 2000, information on AX.25 has not changed since 1998.  This is 2015.  I can’t find any documentation on RMS expresses, emails, packet, echolink formants and protocols to develop my own applications
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

As for Mac. If you want to invest yourself in a closed development system on an expensive yuppified toy, that your problem.

Well that's a really positive and constructive way to start a response.

Although I use a Windows machine in the shack, all my business computers became Macs 7 years ago as I and my partners got fed up with (a) crashes, (b) bugs, (c) security issues and (d) expensive upgrades.  Further, each Mac has been reliable hardware while the software - Apple and 3rd Party - simply works and works well. Yes, Macs do come with a premium price. However, that incremental price is well worth the ability to have systems work reliably without the Windows aggravation.  Yuppiness has nothing to do with it. While I'm not an Apple fanboy (yes, take a look at their issues with iOS Cool, I consider Microsoft the MFJ of computing.
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

As for Mac. If you want to invest yourself in a closed development system on an expensive yuppified toy, that your problem.

Well that's a really positive and constructive way to start a response.

Although I use a Windows machine in the shack, all my business computers became Macs 7 years ago as I and my partners got fed up with (a) crashes, (b) bugs, (c) security issues and (d) expensive upgrades.  Further, each Mac has been reliable hardware while the software - Apple and 3rd Party - simply works and works well. Yes, Macs do come with a premium price. However, that incremental price is well worth the ability to have systems work reliably without the Windows aggravation.  Yuppiness has nothing to do with it. While I'm not an Apple fanboy (yes, take a look at their issues with iOS Cool, I consider Microsoft the MFJ of computing.
You right  I was wrong  yupppie is so 2000. I meant expensive  hipster  status symbol toy.
You diat get the memo I being side bece I tired of the Mac fine whine.

My dislike of Mac go back a log way. The Apple II was a great computer then came  the Mac with it closed environment    I am a old school hacker who wants to do more with my PC than press space bar or mouse button.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »

Man, I am so happy that I don't dabble in the digital modes.

Yeah, it takes a little more work than just plugging in your mic and talking, but not much more. I bought a computer. I bought an HF radio. I acquired some software. I read the documentation that came with each of these. I built or bought the necessary cables. Oh, and did I mention that I read the documentation. I didn't want to leave that part out because it is pretty important.

Here is the result:

I took a few years, but I did both of these WITHOUT JT65 or any of the other "JT" modes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:07:33 AM by N0IU » Logged
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 05:33:41 AM »

You right  I was wrong  yupppie is so 2000. I meant expensive  hipster  status symbol toy.  You diat get the memo I being side bece I tired of the Mac fine whine.

Yup. Thanks for making my case. Your contributions to this thread are invaluable.

My dislike of Mac go back a log way. The Apple II was a great computer then came  the Mac with it closed environment    I am a old school hacker who wants to do more with my PC than press space bar or mouse button

Nothing wrong with your choices and how you do computing. Nothing wrong with anybody else's choices, but for some reason you have a problem with that. For example, you want to hack. Some of us want to get work done.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »

You right  I was wrong  yupppie is so 2000. I meant expensive  hipster  status symbol toy.

Yes, if there's a plague upon amateur radio, it's hipster hams.  Why, there must be at least 15 of them in the US alone.

Perhaps you were referring to hams with big hips.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »

Yes, if there's a plague upon amateur radio, it's hipster hams.  Why, there must be at least 15 of them in the US alone.

Add a few zeros to that numbers!

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »

Man, I am so happy that I don't dabble in the digital modes.

Yeah, it takes a little more work than just plugging in your mic and talking, but not much more. I bought a computer. I bought an HF radio. I acquired some software. I read the documentation that came with each of these. I built or bought the necessary cables. Oh, and did I mention that I read the documentation. I didn't want to leave that part out because it is pretty important.

Here is the result:

Thanks for the opportunity to post yet another picture of my awards, the sixth time in the last twelve months. I trust that you are all suitably impressed. I know I am.

I took a few years, but I did both of these WITHOUT JT65 or any of the other "JT" modes.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 09:52:04 AM »

Thanks for the opportunity to post yet another picture of my awards, the sixth time in the last twelve months. I trust that you are all suitably impressed. I know I am.

Hey, thanks for fixing that for me! It was pretty early me (for a Saturday morning!) and I must have forgotten to include that part! Thanks for paying so much attention to my posts and keeping those stats!
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »

Hey, thanks for fixing that for me! It was pretty early me (for a Saturday morning!) and I must have forgotten to include that part! Thanks for paying so much attention to my posts and keeping those stats!

Hey, no problem. It seemed to me that I kept seeing these pictures over and over and over, but then I thought it must be my imagination. After all, who would want (or need) to keep posting such pictures? You'll be glad to know that a quick check confirmed that (at least) my mind is sound.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: