The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does ham radio software have to be so cheesy???  (Read 22841 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »

Time for me to spin my VFO knob off this topic...

A tactical retreat, eh? Too bad. For an encore, I was hoping you'd explain how a linker works.

BTW, it's Linux.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:05:50 PM by WS3N » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »

I've run across specialized commercial software that was poor design and had bugs in it as well. One case was lighting control software that had a bug that wiped out the whole configuration if you didn't click buttons in a certain order. The mfg knew about it and their people knew the work-around. They weren't going to ever fix it because they had contracted someone outside the company to write the software and that person and any documentation was long gone.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 05:28:18 PM »

More than likely all "non-gaming" software is probably written by those "lessor" authors the original poster was talking about, except of course for the ones that use "1" and "0" and toggle in the code that way, no HEX, but BINARY only!  Only "lessor" authors will use HEX!  Believe it or not, some did use "1" and "0", then an address increment.  That is how I learned to program-- way back when-- on an old 8080 system, in the 70's or 80's.  No GUIs then, just pure code!

I've used CNC machine equipment that had software written in Linix that work far better and more reliable than any ham software I've sampled to date. I'm unimpressed with ham software in general. Amateur, is the correct name to describe the stuff.
I've used the "free Deluxe" software, it works ok, and I have no plan to ever pay for any ham software in the future. As I said, the sampled software is unimpressive to me.
Time for me to spin my VFO knob off this topic...
Well that is good news then!  Why? Because you will not feel justified in carping further about free software provided to you by the "lessor" authors, just get out that old wallet and start firing out cash as if you own a cash shotgun, BLAM BLAM BLAM!!  Oh wait-- you have already done that and did not like the for pay software either...  Guess you will have to dust off those old software coding books and get busy and write some software yourself.

Wait-- here is a novel idea, just be kind to the folks that offer their creations to you for free, tell them "THANK YOU", and move on, or just avert your eyes, look away, and move on...  My God, they offer it free, and people carp about it.  Where has civility gone in this country?  

As an aside, I am not sure I see the connection between my post about compilers, and your post about bad software.  It's almost as if you were just looking for a reason to carp about something which was given to you free, but that can't be it can it?  Just say thanks to them, or don't take the free stuff...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:31:41 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:11 PM »

I'm the kind of person who expects something to do what it's supposed to do when I push a button."

Oh man what a comment, aside from a possible lack of computer experience your comment would not go well when dealing with YL's either.

Or his boss.  People are expected to think on the job, unless one works at McDonalds or does other unskilled labor (and even then, stuff happens).

And I would hate for him to tune an antenna or an old tube transmitter.  That requires both intelligence and a little bit of work.  Roll Eyes

Life is not turn-key.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »

"Life is not turn-key."

Well played. That is the True Meaning Of Life.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »

Life is not turn-key.
That just made it into my notebook for things to say...  THANK YOU!  That is one of the best quotes I have ever heard for this sort of discussion!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Life is not turn-key.

This may well be the quote of the century.

73 Jerry KM3K
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »

The OP seems to weigh in on the look of Fldigi rather than its functionality.  The look is due to the use of the FLTK graphics toolkit that allows for the same source code to be built and run on OS/X, Windows, Linux distributions.  It also allows for using the same program on those platforms which softens the learning curve when moving from one to another.  So an FLTK program doesn't look quite like anything else, so what?  Fldigi does quite a lot, in fact I've barely ever scratched the surface of its capabilities.  Plus it offers those capabilities in a UI that is rather straightforward and at a price that can't be beat.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: