The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you like your assigned callsign when you first got a license?  (Read 63194 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

When I first saw "WA2ISE" I was a little disappointed that I ended up with a vowel to start my suffix.  But it grew on me, and I kept it when I upgraded to extra.  Maybe someone at the FCC field office where I took my tech test back in 1976 selected it for me, thinking that I was going to be into CW, as I did well on the code, but barely passed the written  It would make a short CW call. All dits suffix.  Cheesy   But I doubt it, probably some FCC computer down in or near Washington DC assigned it. 
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

Yes. I got mine in 1954 in New York. I moved out of state and was able to keep my call. I am very used to it.
73s
K2OWK
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:54:32 AM »

There was no vanity program when I got my first license (NØUVM) so it really didn't matter what I thought about it. When I made Extra I went for the sequential callsign and got AAØZS. If I had only waited another day, I might have gotten AAØZZ. I would have kept that! I kept that call for a little over a year, but shortly after the vanity gates opened (some time in 1996 IIRC), I applied for one vanity call (the one I have now) in November 1996 but it wasn't granted until February 1997. So I don't want to hear anyone complain about how long it takes to get a vanity application processed!!

And if someone does complain, I will tell them the story about how I passed my first test in mid-October 1992 and it wasn't granted until late December 1992 and the actual paper ticket did come in the mail until the second week in January 1993! And back in the pre-ULS days, you could not go on the air until you had your paper ticket in hand!

Remind me again what was so good about the "Good Old Days"?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:03:59 AM by N0IU » Logged
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »

I got N5NBZ. Think of the first phonetics that pops into your head when you see that call. Yeah, that's why I changed it when I upgraded.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »

It could have ended with NBS... and that's no bull!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »

I got N9LCD when I was licensed in '92.  The phonetics are "... Lima Charlie Delta" but "... Liquid Crystal Display" sounded better on the nets.

N9LCD
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:15:26 PM »

I got WN9EAZ back in 1970, changed to WB9EAZ when I upgraded to General a year later.  Too hard to spit out on both CW and phone, although the phonetics were nice but PETA-unfriendly:  We Barbecued Nine East African Zebras.

It took 6-8 weeks between taking the exam and receiving the license, and you had to have it in you hand before being allowed on the air.  Of course, you couldn't have known your callsign beforehand, anyway.

And if someone does complain, I will tell them the story about how I passed my first test in mid-October 1992 and it wasn't granted until late December 1992 and the actual paper ticket did come in the mail until the second week in January 1993! And back in the pre-ULS days, you could not go on the air until you had your paper ticket in hand!

Remind me again what was so good about the "Good Old Days"?

Back in the Good Old Days, when men were men and Real HamsTM used octal vacuum tubes, we had to walk to the nearest FCC office, which in my case was open only 4 days a year, in the snow, uphill, both ways.  You young whipper-snappers with your volunteer examiners have it really soft. Wink

Now get off my lawn! Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:58 AM »

Back in the Good Old Days, when men were men and Real HamsTM used octal vacuum tubes, we had to walk to the nearest FCC office, which in my case was open only 4 days a year, in the snow, uphill, both ways.  

YEAH.....AND BAREFOOT TOO.....er um...yeah.....

anyway, to answer the question....YES I did like my original call sign which I vowed to got the grave with (KA3NRX)...kept it for 29 years all the way to the test upgrades, but decided (after much research) to neuter it to K3NRX around this time last year.....glad i did, because now I LOVE my call sign.....right size.....perfect cw flow......and it's not bulky......you guys who have these 2x3 call signs they are issuing these days, man.....blech!!!....I guarantee, I would not wait 29 years to change it if I were getting a license today.....they are just too damn much to handle......

V
K3NRX
f/k/a KA3NRX

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

I got WN8BTU. Then the FCC changed it to WD8BTU.

Yes, I kind of liked the suffix, and still do.

WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »

YEAH.....AND BAREFOOT TOO.....er um...yeah.....

And I had to do a code send test at that FCC field office back in 1976.  Using a straight key they had screwed down on a school desk they had.   Cool

Heard the FCC since figured out that nobody who passed the code receiving test ever failed the sending test, so they quit doing the sending test.  Of course they later on quit doing code completely...

One ham friend told me, back in the early 50's, ham junk mail vendors (QSL card sellers and such) would know what your call was going to be, and used it on their junk mail.  He found out his callsign that way before the FCC mail arrived.  
WD8JWJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »

I got WD8JWJ in 1976. I am happy with it. I did consider my Jr Hi principle's K8 call as he was my first Elmer, but stuck with my original. My call dates me and says what area I'm from.
As far as phonynetics goes some would say our radios are "Just Worthless Junk", but when we make a good contact we "Jump With Joy". And I can say William Drank 8 Jiggers of Whiskey Joyously. (and I can't stand whiskey)  I always use Juliet Whiskey Juliet over on the air. Some get them mixed up with Whiskey Juliet Whiskey and I tell them more Juliet and less Whiskey.
Too Much Fun
73, Bill, WD8JWJ
K3GW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »

I received WN3KYN in January, 1957 ... it had been so long since I took my test that when I looked at the envelope I couldn't figure out why the FCC was sending me something!  Going on to General and W3KYN, I researched that call and it had once belonged to a guy in Philadelphia, circa 1940.  I don't have any idea if he was in WWII and didn't come home, let it expire or what....  Back then, in the 3rd call area, the FCC were giving out 'fill in' reissued calls.  They went through the K's, then the L's and then a few M's and then started handing out K3A...'s and never looked back.  Friends of mine received W3LAX and W3KHQ...   I had to keep the license handy as I didn't seem to remember the KYN .... Hey, I was only 13 at the time!!  In 1996, I opted to go the vanity route and chose my initials ... K3GW.

My dad was first licensed in 1935 as W8NVS when western NY and western PA were under the Buffalo Office of the FCC.  After WWII, my dad received W3NVS, which he kept until the last transmission SK in Dec. 1997.
KA4NGW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »

KA4NGW   Licensed 1979, Fort Walton Beach FL while in the military. I love it,  Since then I've been a /7, /8, & a /SV (Greece).
N6BIZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »

ARE U KIDDING ME ... I DROPPED IN 1978 WHEN "THEY" SENT ME N6BIZ!!!
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »

I received WN4SVJ in the mail on my 20th birthday and WA4SVJ a year later.  I was pretty happy with it and liked the way it sounds on CW, but not so much on voice.  The SVJ suffix must slip through without stopping because I had to repeat it more often than not.

I finally passed the 20wpm test and changed to AE0B, but eventually got nostalgic about the old call.  I changed back to WA4SVJ thinking it would just reset things, but it was now assigned as a vanity call.  I should have read the rules twice. 

After a while, K0BT became available.  I hated to be one of those people who get multiple vanity calls but I am really happy with this call - especially the phonetics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: